Player Watch #7: Zane Duursma

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t necessarily agree, paraphrasing clarko I think he said something along the lines of he values their development in the AFL over VFL buttt just in my opinion if you are going to give a young hff who likes to mark the ball at its highest point a rest, a game in Darwin sounds like the go to me, re the humid conditions on top of our dysfunctional foward line.
Yeah right Clarko...says the bloke who had a great Box Hill Hawks side at the same time his senior side was going from strength to strength?

Let's face it, he desperately needed VFL time.
I said he needed to go back to get some footy a couple of weeks ago & many posters said he should play every game in the league side all year.
I know we want to fast track these kids’ development, but there’s gotta be a balance.
Hopefully he goes back & kicks a couple of bags.

I watched him in the 1st round against the Giants and perhaps over indulged in the Koolade when he kicked 2 goals and took a cracking mark against a really good defense. Since then he has done a few good things, but goes missing trying to play a really hard role in a shite team. I’m sure the coaches have provided the right feedback, and a couple of weeks in the McGoos will do him plenty of good. Some areas of focus and improvement I would like to see.
  1. General field kicking 20-30 meters to consistently hit targets.
  2. Timing his marks and getting too far under the ball.
  3. Lift his tackle rate above his 1 per game average.
  4. Get better in front of goal - has kicked 6.9 and it should really be 9.6
  5. Lift pressure acts from his current average of 11 a game
The talent is there. Let’s see it grow this year and next.

Made to play against key defender types every week doesn't help. You can see the frustration on his face. He's probably wondering why the F am I playing as a key tall?
He better get use to it is we only play Larkey at the KPF as he has a higher leap than all the medium fowards so he'll get the 2nd or 3rd best defender.

I said he needed to go back to get some footy a couple of weeks ago & many posters said he should play every game in the league side all year.
I know we want to fast track these kids’ development, but there’s gotta be a balance.
Hopefully he goes back & kicks a couple of bags.
Great post exactly right. there is no rush

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched the game today and felt he had a pretty quiet one. Forward instincts and craft led him to get on the end of 4 goals, the first one being a ripper, the type that only Curtis, and Sheezel would be capable of getting. Will be pretty special on his good days especially after a few more preseasons. Was sceptical when we first selected him but now can’t wait to see how his career unfolds

what I like about Zane is he is genuine forward nous/freak. But he has the attributes to play all over the field… similar to Reid.

We got so lucky in that draft

what I like about Zane is he is genuine forward nous/freak. But he has the attributes to play all over the field… similar to Reid.

We got so lucky in that draft
Reckon this post is jumping the gun a bit. Lets wait until he proves himself in one position at AFL level before going overboard.

Watched the game today and felt he had a pretty quiet one. Forward instincts and craft led him to get on the end of 4 goals, the first one being a ripper, the type that only Curtis, and Sheezel would be capable of getting. Will be pretty special on his good days especially after a few more preseasons. Was sceptical when we first selected him but now can’t wait to see how his career unfolds
I'll take 4 goals in a quiet one !

Reckon this post is jumping the gun a bit. Lets wait until he proves himself in one position at AFL level before going overboard.
It may be but its pretty obvious he has fwd craft and goal sense. So i guess time will tell if he can become a 20 goal a year plater or a 40 goal player.

If he does spend a few weeks in the VFL I hope we give him the opportunity to spend some time in the middle as a genuine midfielder (not as an outside winger). Get his hands on the footy more and get him involved up the ground.

He showed plenty of ability around the stoppages in his juniors years.
I was going to suggest that Duursma and McKercher swap places,
let him get a bit of cheap ball off the HB, normally I'd say leave McKeacher as he's just getting confidence but I think he's pretty adaptable, guessing McKercher would only take a couple of weeks for players to start seeking him out forward of centre too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back