Delisted # 8: Martin Gleeson - Not offered a contract, finishes his Essendon career on 97 AFL games

Remove this Banner Ad

Without having put a lot of thought in to it, Gleeson may well one of the best players in his position in the AFL who is not best 22.

Timing is everything. He was just blossoming into a real player and best 22 fixture when he sustained that injury, looking back it might cost him a career- well with us anyway. Hard to see him as a solid best 22 (unless Injury strikes another)

Without having put a lot of thought in to it, Gleeson may well one of the best players in his position in the AFL who is not best 22.

I think Redman to the wing is the solution. I haven’t seen it discussed much but Redman has struggled this year and also seems prone to making one or two howler errors.

Will be interesting to see if they keep him in the side this week. Wasn’t sure of his decisions to punch the ball rather than mark it. Perhaps if they keep him in it suggests they are hoping for him to get back to his best form or if he is dropped his position is up for the taking with the Redmans, and Ridley’s etc. I think this week we will learn how he is seen by the coaching staff and whether or not he’s on the trading table.

Aged well I suppose if those are your thoughts?
I don't see anyone saying he would have made a difference to the result. I'm pretty sure (if he were fit) he'd have been better than Redman, his replacement. He should probably be recalled for this game anyway tbh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He reads the ball well and is a good interceptor, but Ridley and Francis are ahead of him in those roles.
Yep, pretty much this. He isn't as good a kick as either of them, but I do think he seems to play on smalls more than these two

Good game tonight. No real howlers kicking wise, was on Corbett all night, who had little influence, rebounded well and his attack on the man was at his best. Comfortably his best game of the season and something good to build on for the rest of the year. Fantastic tackle that should have been ball at the end as well.

Thought he was pretty solid.

One thing that has to be factored in to his games is that he's not going to find himself in position to fly at the ball the way he did in 2017. Ridley has taken that role from him. Redman has also been added to the line.

Gleeson's role is going to be more focused on shutting down an opponent.

Good game tonight. No real howlers kicking wise, was on Corbett all night, who had little influence, rebounded well and his attack on the man was at his best. Comfortably his best game of the season and something good to build on for the rest of the year. Fantastic tackle that should have been ball at the end as well.

I actually didnt notice him in the first half really, which i guess is a good thing if he is playing a lockdown role.

I actually didnt notice him in the first half really, which i guess is a good thing if he is playing a lockdown role.
I did, in preparation of people flinging insults at him for making any mistakes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back