Delisted # 8: Martin Gleeson - Not offered a contract, finishes his Essendon career on 97 AFL games

Remove this Banner Ad

This bloke would be a lock in the AA team if the qualifications were being permanently being 3 metres behind your opponent, being ineffectual as a 3rd man up and bog standard average with his disposal.

Played 80 or so games now and is not even solid.
looked no hope of locking down Ryan.
where is Marty’s improvement?

Was legitimately terrible last night. I don't even agree with the argument that he's depth. Makes dumb decisions and has the skills to match.

At 26 years of age, 90 games under his belt, we've got a big enough sample to know this bloke isn't the answer going forward.

I don't find pleasure in hoping for blokes to be cut, but I sincerely hope he's played his last game in the red and black.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know everyone will say "yada yada he's one of your favourites" but I hope he stays. Most of this year he wasn't being the intercept player we loved but he was playing a solid role locking down on opposition mediums yet plenty on here were bagging him despite beating his direct opponent. It's no wonder that in the last month where he's actually not played well people have piled on

So we could get nothing for him and he can leave?
We still get compensation if he leaves as a free agent, the difference between restricted and unrestricted free agents is that we don't get the opportunity to match if he accepts an offer from another club. If we delist him then we won't get any compensation though.

There's an explanation of how compensation works and examples from past years here: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...r-movements-in-the-afl.1229400/#post-67037229

Marty at 26 always looked like a skinny 20 year old just starting out.
A new club, new mentality, maybe a few kilos in muscle would do him good.

Only reason I'm not on the delist bandwagon is that McKenna has gone and Saad is a good chance to leave too. All the same, I wouldn't be giving him more than a year deal because he's clearly not a long term solution for us, and I wouldn't begrudge him for going somewhere that sees him differently either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back