Delisted # 8: Martin Gleeson - Not offered a contract, finishes his Essendon career on 97 AFL games

Remove this Banner Ad

kid must have freakish skills and be a decision maker of the NASA variety to be taken that small and that high... was anyone else even interested in him? Gonna take him a while to put on size and he doesn't seem to have the genes for it..

kid must have freakish skills and be a decision maker of the NASA variety to be taken that small and that high... was anyone else even interested in him? Gonna take him a while to put on size and he doesn't seem to have the genes for it..
I dont mind finding out what's behind his sister's jeans, you know, for research purposes :cool:

Just looking at the way he plays and the position he is more likely to play, I dont think he needs to spent TOO much time in the gym. He will end up having the physique of a guy like Dempsey IMO. Dempsey is 185/80 and right now, according the the draft profile, Gleeson is 186/70. Give him 2 offseasons of serious training and he can easily be at Dempsey's weight. He could even play lighter than that in reality.

I know I said that I prefer bigger bodied mids in the current climate of today's footy, but that's not to say that it is a necessity. Certain players don't have the genes conducive to carrying too much weight, and I think Gleeson could be one of these guys. If he isn't going to become an inside mid in the mould of Watson/Hocking, there is no need for him to put on too much weight, just enough not to be knocked off the ball too easily.

Just looking at the way he plays and the position he is more likely to play, I dont think he needs to spent TOO much time in the gym. He will end up having the physique of a guy like Dempsey IMO. Dempsey is 185/80 and right now, according the the draft profile, Gleeson is 186/70. Give him 2 offseasons of serious training and he can easily be at Dempsey's weight. He could even play lighter than that in reality.

I know I said that I prefer bigger bodied mids in the current climate of today's footy, but that's not to say that it is a necessity. Certain players don't have the genes conducive to carrying too much weight, and I think Gleeson could be one of these guys. If he isn't going to become an inside mid in the mould of Watson/Hocking, there is no need for him to put on too much weight, just enough not to be knocked off the ball too easily.

i was thinking the same thing, but more like Winderlich. the i see he's listed as 188/82. stay off the pies Winders!

I'm calling him Glee.
A blonde version of the dude on the left?
Cover--2733440737623091238.jpg

Hit the gym, Glee.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Macdonalds need to sponsor this kid.

I dont care how talented this kid might be, but didnt we draft Ross on the same basis.
Graham wins the Morrish medal gets runs on the board, plays midfield? Atkins is available wins Calders B&F and we take a project 10 year old and a player who played only 10 games with Box hill in 3 years.

Seriously WTF?
Totally agree !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DID not expect to see a positive write up on him after R1 NAB cup (with his 3 possessions) and the Intra Club match this week.

watch out, maybe after he's had his 12 birthday he might play a game this year

Graham is already doing well, but his ceiling is probably lower. Besides, too early to cry about drafting errors, especially when Gleeson has shown a bit.

Graham is already doing well, but his ceiling is probably lower. Besides, too early to cry about drafting errors, especially when Gleeson has shown a bit.

exactly, anyone saying gleeson was an error at this stage is talking out their ass.
I can sort of understand being surprised at the time considering we had noted interest in guys like atkins, but that passes. You've got to give the kid a fair crack at it, couldn't give two shits about what graham's done tbh, we've got gleeson, i'm happy with gleeson, and the kid seems to be tracking along pretty well considering he's yet to hit puberty.

Agreed. A lot of people forget that most players don't burst onto the scene and play a heap of good games in their first year. More likely he'll play one or two at the end of the season, maybe a few more next season and gradually work his way into regular selection after three or four years in the system. And there is nothing wrong with that at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back