Delisted # 8: Martin Gleeson - Not offered a contract, finishes his Essendon career on 97 AFL games

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder if he gets a gig this week considering Melbourne like to play 3 mediums up front (any combination of Melksham, Fritsch, Hannan, Neal-Bullen (yes, I know he's only 183 but he plays like a medium) and vandenBerg)?

Francis can take Fritsch, Ridley on Melksham, Gleeson on Hannan/ANB?

Wonder if he gets a gig this week considering Melbourne like to play 3 mediums up front (any combination of Melksham, Fritsch, Hannan, Neal-Bullen (yes, I know he's only 183 but he plays like a medium) and vandenBerg)?

Francis can take Fritsch, Ridley on Melksham, Gleeson on Hannan/ANB?
If i had to choose another defender to come into the side it would be Ambrose. Can perform a solid lockdown job on a variety of sizes and has the tank to follow opponents when they push into the midfield. Someone like Petracca would be a good task for him. Gleeson is unlucky not to be playing but he's hard to squeeze into a best 22 at the moment.

If i had to choose another defender to come into the side it would be Ambrose. Can perform a solid lockdown job on a variety of sizes and has the tank to follow opponents when they push into the midfield. Someone like Petracca would be a good task for him. Gleeson is unlucky not to be playing but he's hard to squeeze into a best 22 at the moment.
I'd bring both in and play Hooker forward.

I'd bring both in and play Hooker forward.
Yeah id be happy with Hooker forward but i think he'd need to be replaced with a bigger defender like BZT. Feels like Francis and Ridley are Gleesons competition for a spot. He's definitely a very good player in my opinion, i think hes just going to be unlucky this year.

Beyond my understanding why he isn’t in the team based on his past performances. Could they be holding him for later in the year considering his unlucky run in the last few years with injury and hoping they can keep him tip top for a finals run?

What sort of picks do we think he is worth if traded?

Beyond my understanding why he isn’t in the team based on his past performances. Could they be holding him for later in the year considering his unlucky run in the last few years with injury and hoping they can keep him tip top for a finals run?

Dont think they're holding him back for later. There's too much quality vying for his position and he's just unlucky. Id think a mid to late 2nd round pick if traded would be fair.

UFA. Can't see us getting more than band 4 or 5 (end of 2nd/3rd round) if he leaves

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's been superseded by Ridley in the one position they were competing for.

What bemuses me is that he's not allowed to play the "role" Guelfi plays.

He's certainly much too good to be playing reserves.

He's not hard to squeeze in if you push Redman to the wing and dump Zaharakis... just sayin'

I'm turning to the Ambrose on Petracca sentiment.

He's not hard to squeeze in if you push Redman to the wing and dump Zaharakis... just sayin'

I'm turning to the Ambrose on Petracca sentiment.
McKenna to the HFF is the answer ;)

I rate Gleeson too. But i cant squeeze him in. Show me a best 22 with Gleeson in the side

This is how I fit him in:

FB: Gleeson - Ambrose - Saad
HB: Ridley - Hurley - Mckenna
C: Redman - Shiel - Ham
HF: Smith - Mckernan - Fantasia
FF: Tippa - Hooker - Stringer
R: Bellchambers - McGrath - Merrett
IC: Francis - Heppell - Parish - Langford

EMG: Snelling, Cutler, Zaharakis, Stewart

My point is Gleeson is clearly better than Cutler and Guelfi so why not shuffle the side around to fit him in.

I hope we don't lose him as he's in the prime of his career and has plenty of footy ahead of him. My hope for keeping him is there is plenty of his type around the league already on the fringes.

This is how I fit him in:

FB: Gleeson - Ambrose - Saad
HB: Ridley - Hurley - Mckenna
C: Redman - Shiel - Ham
HF: Smith - Mckernan - Fantasia
FF: Tippa - Hooker - Stringer
R: Bellchambers - McGrath - Merrett
IC: Francis - Heppell - Parish - Langford

EMG: Snelling, Cutler, Zaharakis, Stewart

My point is Gleeson is clearly better than Cutler and Guelfi so why not shuffle the side around to fit him in.

I hope we don't lose him as he's in the prime of his career and has plenty of footy ahead of him. My hope for keeping him is there is plenty of his type around the league already on the fringes.
I like it except McKenna HF, Smith as a mid and Redman staying as a defender, where he belongs. Plus Cutler in for Ham, he's currently the superior player.

Ridley has more traits as a wing than Mason does.

I like it except McKenna HF, Smith as a mid and Redman staying as a defender, where he belongs. Plus Cutler in for Ham, he's currently the superior player.

Ridley has more traits as a wing than Mason does.

I just don't see the point in moving Mckenna forward. Who gives a s**t where he wants to play. Darcy Parish would love to play full games on the ball doesn't mean he gets to.

On Ham vs Cutler everything I've seen is the opposite. Ham such a good ball user and was probably our best player against Casey then backed it up against West Coast where I had him in our best 5-8. The coaching staff then made it easy on themselves by only selecting him to play a half against Geelong.

I just don't see the point in moving Mckenna forward. Who gives a sh*t where he wants to play. Darcy Parish would love to play full games on the ball doesn't mean he gets to.

On Ham vs Cutler everything I've seen is the opposite. Ham such a good ball user and was probably our best player against Casey then backed it up against West Coast where I had him in our best 5-8. The coaching staff then made it easy on themselves by only selecting him to play a half against Geelong.
Well if we want to keep him, maybe play him forward or he could go back to Ireland? I see it as, we have a glut of small and medium defenders and he's the one best placed to move up into a different role, as he has played as a forward at VFL level previously to reasonably good effect (I seem to recall a game where he kicked 4 or 5 against Geelong under the roof BrunoV?)

Like, why move Redman to a wing when he's played there to middling standards in the VFL when we can move McKenna forward who has shown he can play it effectively at VFL level at a minimum?

As for the Ham vs Cutler thing, Cutler was widely praised against Casey and most had him as best afield, and in the first two games he's shown himself to be AFL standard as a two way running outside midielder. I hope Ham can surpass him soon but he isn't there yet.

Well if we want to keep him, maybe play him forward or he could go back to Ireland? I see it as, we have a glut of small and medium defenders and he's the one best placed to move up into a different role, as he has played as a forward at VFL level previously to reasonably good effect (I seem to recall a game where he kicked 4 or 5 against Geelong under the roof BrunoV?)

Like, why move Redman to a wing when he's played there to middling standards in the VFL when we can move McKenna forward who has shown he can play it effectively at VFL level at a minimum?

As for the Ham vs Cutler thing, Cutler was widely praised against Casey and most had him as best afield, and in the first two games he's shown himself to be AFL standard as a two way running outside midielder. I hope Ham can surpass him soon but he isn't there yet.
I am not sold on Cutler. Big and strong. Just seems to bomb the ball every time he gets it. i have not noticed him lower his eyes and actually hit a leading target

McKenna is too good for us to risk losing him if all it takes is a change of position.

He started forward in 2015 and was unusually strong above head. He definitely kicked a healthy bag against the Cats and on another occasion.

The issue will be whether he has the smarts to play forward. He can become an A grade, possibly the best rebounding half back/defender in the league. Very hard to be able to make an equivalent prediction about him as a forward without any recently exposed form.

I don't agree re Redman. In my view he's clearly the best option of the defenders to try on the wing.

Redman played a handful of quarters on ball in the midst of a comeback from injury in 2018 and played mostly forward in 2016 and 2017 (from memory he went to defence late in 2017). You're writing him off based on a few average quarters in 2018. In the other half of those quarters he looked Judd-like. It's not a formline from which we can tell anything.

I'd like to develop Redman and Ridley up the ground.

Last edited:

Redman’s got a big tank and I don’t think the wing is that different to role he’s playing now.

If giving McKenna a go as a forward is what it takes to keep him I’m happy to try it. I just seriously doubt it moves the needle too much for him and seems more like a guy who wants a go forward before he leaves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back