Delisted # 8: Martin Gleeson - Not offered a contract, finishes his Essendon career on 97 AFL games

Remove this Banner Ad

McGovern? He's the strongest mark and probably strongest forward in general for Adelaide.

McGovern may be physically strong but Gleeson I think could play off him with his intercepting skills. He should also be able to generate good rebound going the other way. I also don't rate McGovern that highly - for all his spectacular marks he doesn't really kick that many goals. His average in 2016 was 1.4 and in 2017 was 1.5 goals per game. He gets pumped up because he gets no attention and the 3rd or 4th worst tall defender each week.

Good teams always manage to get away with playing one undersized defender on a tall. Our problem is not that our defense isn't tall enough - its that our midfield hasn't shown a real ability to work defensively.

Hard to know how he matches up on the crows. Their first picked 6 forwards id imagine to be

Douglas - Walker - T.Lynch
Betts - Jenkins - Mcgovern

he doesnt suit many of those
id run him on Betts.
Betts' advantages are he is clever and reads the play. As does Gleeson.

id go:
Lynch: Ambrose
Jenkins: Hartley
Betts: Gleeson
Douglas: Saad
Walker: Hurley
McGovern: Francis
McKenna loose running out as 7th defender.

Not many match the best forward line in the comp.
I'd argue we have more cattle back there than Richmond did on GF day, but if the pressure starts from the middle and remains heavy up forward, it doesn't matter how good their forward line is.

id run him on Betts.
Betts' advantages are he is clever and reads the play. As does Gleeson.

id go:
Lynch: Ambrose
Jenkins: Hartley
Betts: Gleeson
Douglas: Saad
Walker: Hurley
McGovern: Francis
McKenna loose running out as 7th defender.

Not many match the best forward line in the comp.
I'd argue we have more cattle back there than Richmond did on GF day, but if the pressure starts from the middle and remains heavy up forward, it doesn't matter how good their forward line is.
Apparently, Saad has matched up quite well on Betts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't usually get chaired off with an ankle unless it is broken.
I've done ankles before and been able to walk for 15 minutes or so but then unable to walk for a couple of weeks.

Then again I am quite fat and have a very low pain tolerance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back