Player Watch #9 Will Hayward

Remove this Banner Ad

OJ091219MW2517.JPG

Will Hayward
Spritely Sydney Swans forward Will Hayward enjoyed a rocketing start to his career as he became the 11th-youngest player in the AFL era to reach 50 career goals in 2018. The 2016 draftee’s nippy pace and cunning goal awareness have made him a dangerous option in coach John Longmire’s forward line. A broken jaw and a persistent hip injury limited Hayward to just 12 goals in 13 senior games in 2019, but the South Australian is attacking the 2020 campaign on the back of his first full pre-season. Don’t be surprised if the exciting Swan finds himself on a wing this year.

Will Hayward
DOB: 26 October 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #21, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Walkerville (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

Except he can't wait until seasons end. Teams are going to want an answer so they can get their list settled coming up to Draft time.

Unfortunately I don't think we can keep him given the $$ he's going to be commanding and the other contracts we have coming up. Remembering we have Chad due next year and I'm hearing the drums from WA are very very loud.

Eagles will be desperate to get Chad to team up with Harley Reid. It's their dream scenario. Both electric players who they can build a club around.

Eagles will be desperate to get Chad to team up with Harley Reid. It's their dream scenario. Both electric players who they can build a club around.
And Chad wants to go from the top team(this week) to a bottom four side. What enjoyment he would have with his footy every week. Money does not buy happiness or premierships. Teamwork, team mates, bonds built over years, sacrifice, going through the hard times, failing, reward for effort, no dickheads policies, great management, good coaching plus ample financial reward. Premiership teams tick off most. Bottom four sides don't. Chad knows this.

And Chad wants to go from the top team(this week) to a bottom four side. What enjoyment he would have with his footy every week. Money does not buy happiness or premierships. Teamwork, team mates, bonds built over years, sacrifice, going through the hard times, failing, reward for effort, no dickheads policies, great management, good coaching plus ample financial reward. Premiership teams tick off most. Bottom four sides don't. Chad knows this.
Post of the day Rusty

Except he can't wait until seasons end. Teams are going to want an answer so they can get their list settled coming up to Draft time.

Unfortunately I don't think we can keep him given the $$ he's going to be commanding and the other contracts we have coming up. Remembering we have Chad due next year and I'm hearing the drums from WA are very very loud.
If we could splash $10m on Naughton and consider JUH, I’d hope we have enough in the kitty to retain our top midfielders.

Gerard Healy said tonight that he doesn't play like that enough , if he did he'd be an A grader. Apparently the CD guru doesn't rate him and is on sportsday tomorrow night.
I'm so happy he played like that , but i'm like Healy

Who plays that way every week? no one that size/role

A few pundits have been saying Carlton badly needs a third tall to support Curnow and McKay. Wonder if that will push Hayward’s contract value up a little if Carlton come even harder for him.

I hope he takes a two year deal to go for one last push for a flag with us and then goes hard for a big deal after that, but also wouldn’t be upset at him at all for leaving for a big pay day now and not risk a big injury in his future without long term security.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Small snippet on Will on SEN SA yesterday afternoon, quoting Sam Edmund:

"..been bubbling around for a while, because he's available, he's on the market, and rival clubs have been told he's gettable as well. The word on the street is that perhaps the role hasn't always been to his liking up there, whether that's just manager speak to get bait in the water and clubs biting remains to be seen..."

From 7:40

A few pundits have been saying Carlton badly needs a third tall to support Curnow and McKay. Wonder if that will push Hayward’s contract value up a little if Carlton come even harder for him.

I hope he takes a two year deal to go for one last push for a flag with us and then goes hard for a big deal after that, but also wouldn’t be upset at him at all for leaving for a big pay day now and not risk a big injury in his future without long term security.
Carlton have a heap of money to spare in their cap as well.:rolleyes:

I definitely think he wants to run around the midfield a bit more so I agree with that part

i'd be happy to see hayward given more of a run in midfield, although how that would come about is hard to say ... parker is in his twilight years, adams probably the same ... but we have sheldrick et al queueing up
but who knows with hayward, maybe after all this time he'd be a revelation, as heeney has been ...
he's good in the air, doesn't mind the physical stuff, can tackle ...
it's probably more about whether he's content to stay at the swans and be patient ... he'll be just 26 going into next season and i think he's been pretty much free of any significant injuries ...
i really hope he stays

Carlton have a heap of money to spare in their cap as well.:rolleyes:
Was looking on their board. They have a bit of a headache on their hands next year... Cerra, McGovern, De Koning, Docherty, Newman, Saad, Weitering, Hewett, Acres, Motlop, Silvagni all out of contract end of next year.

No one is saying Hayward needs to perform like that every week. In fact everyone is saying the opposite.

What everyone is highlighting is:
-1 good game does not make a season
-He needs to tackle (like he has been the last 2 weeks)
-Give it the rest of the season before claiming he is all that, because for others he hasn't shown enough over a season
Thw idea that Hayward has only tackled or worked hard defensively in the last couple of weeks is clownlishly wrong.

My understanding is that if the swans can get somewhere near the same ball park as the offers coming in Will will stay long term …but as the RFA this year his lot is to leave it last out of the big 5 (rowbottom, Errol, Ollie, Logan and Will - as an aside melican as an unrestricted free agent is going to have many suitors and big offers).

Will’s manager and the club both accept this and the media speculation that comes with it

Either SA team might make a godfather offer for Will but he’s never been really been interested in the go home factor - bought a unit in Paddington early on and his life and mates are here and he loves everything about the club.

He also signed a 4 year contract in 2020 when we were bottom four which was backended (hence the RFA status in 2024) to get around the back end of Lance’s contract and cap squeeze …there is lots of goodwill between club and player

Everyone drafted 2015-2021 feels there’s a dynasty just waiting to happen and the next 5 years will be the best years of their lives

The things you learn #117. Who knew Hayburner harboured ambitions to play in the mids?
Not having a go at you GUH, but this is an example of what happens with the media and the overall AFL landscape where a throwaway line from a journo gains traction and then becomes the accepted truth.

Sam Edmund delivers a nothing burger;
The word on the street is that perhaps the role hasn't always been to his liking up there...

First time I've ever seen it mentioned, but now the narrative will be that Hayward may leave, not because of the $s supposedly on offer, but because he's always wanted to play midfield and if he does leave we'll be forever hearing it was because we didn't give him midfield minutes.

PS I'm off now anyway because the word on the street is that Penelope Cruz does fancy me after all.🍻

Not having a go at you GUH, but this is an example of what happens with the media and the overall AFL landscape where a throwaway line from a journo gains traction and then becomes the accepted truth.

Sam Edmund delivers a nothing burger;
The word on the street is that perhaps the role hasn't always been to his liking up there...

First time I've ever seen it mentioned, but now the narrative will be that Hayward may leave, not because of the $s supposedly on offer, but because he's always wanted to play midfield and if he does leave we'll be forever hearing it was because we didn't give him midfield minutes.

PS I'm off now anyway because the word on the street is that Penelope Cruz does fancy me after all.🍻
I've heard that too Hairy.....
Aaaaaaaand that her gorgeous husband Javier Bardem fancies me as well!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back