Player Watch #9 Will Hayward

Remove this Banner Ad

OJ091219MW2517.JPG

Will Hayward
Spritely Sydney Swans forward Will Hayward enjoyed a rocketing start to his career as he became the 11th-youngest player in the AFL era to reach 50 career goals in 2018. The 2016 draftee’s nippy pace and cunning goal awareness have made him a dangerous option in coach John Longmire’s forward line. A broken jaw and a persistent hip injury limited Hayward to just 12 goals in 13 senior games in 2019, but the South Australian is attacking the 2020 campaign on the back of his first full pre-season. Don’t be surprised if the exciting Swan finds himself on a wing this year.

Will Hayward
DOB: 26 October 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #21, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Walkerville (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

So hypothetical (move to trade thread if better).

1. Crows offer $5m @ $800k per year
2. we match but hypothetically he wants to go home and said this pubically.
3. We get band 1 pick 19 but we say it’s inadequate for $5m player.
4. Crows don’t pony up in the trade and he stays….

I mean (2) clearly won’t happen, if we get close on $$ he will stay. But Adelaide are serial arseholes in trades, to us, GWS, GC etc. I just love a situation where they would actually have to pony up for once!!

The other was from a metre out around the post…
…After the GF against the Cats, I walked away thinking that EVERY player was tradable other than Warner, Fox & Florent I was That pissed .

1) it was ‘a metre out around the post’ because he had sprinted flat out for 50m for a ball that looked like a certain behind, then had the strength and balance to stop on a dime, turn under pressure, keep his feet, and step around the post with a tackler closing in.

2) maybe you’re too emotional to fairly assess the list

Three of his goals were directly handballs from players that each could have easily taken the shot at goal themselves. The other was from a metre out around the post. I don’t wish to sell him short but if Will is being offered such money then he is worth 700 k at our club. Of course living in Sydney eats into that a little more but I can see why we may need to let him go.
A big game against Carlton this week & I’ll have a rethink.
After the GF against the Cats, I walked away thinking that EVERY player was tradable other than Warner, Fox & Florent I was That pissed off.
So I’m thinking he can be replaced for less. We can’t lose with all the pressure on Will, Carlton or Crows to deliver.
We get a pretty good pick & may have someone up our sleeve who is coming to our club.
Schrodinger's forward. The point is that Hayward was there on the spot to receive the handballs whereas we don't know if any other forwards would have been. He works harder than most to get into position so I would be tempted to think that if someone else was playing in his spot then they may not have been there.

Last edited:
Doesn't say it's on the table or that ours is for real. Pinch of salt time.
Their offer is being prepared to be offered; as per the reporting last week in The Age, Adelaide can outbid both us and Carlton (and presumably Port?)

Whether the $550k is the real number or not, we have reportedly made 2 offers, the 2nd on "improved contract terms"

I mean (2) clearly won’t happen, if we get close on $$ he will stay. But Adelaide are serial arseholes in trades, to us, GWS, GC etc. I just love a situation where they would actually have to pony up for once!!
Re. match - how close is close to $800-850k for 6 years? If the reports are anywhere accurate, that's a difference of up to $300k per year between what we've offered and what Adelaide are willing to offer

1) it was ‘a metre out around the post’ because he had sprinted flat out for 50m for a ball that looked like a certain behind, then had the strength and balance to stop on a dime, turn under pressure, keep his feet, and step around the post with a tackler closing in.

It was a great bloody goal. I thought for all money his momentum would carry him across the goal line.

The total player payments will jump from

$15,022,778 in 2023
$15,788,222 in 2024
$17.76m in 2025
$18.29m in 2026
$18.44m in 2027

AVG $441,464 - 2023
AVG $519,000 - 2027

Primary List 36-38

Players split an additional $1.267 million per club in additional services (marketing) across the life of the new CBA which runs until 2027.

Next year is the big jump by 12.6%

Is Will worth $200-250k above average at $700K going forward?

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

I think Haywards decision is probably going to come down to 2 decisions:
1) The length of the deal. Swans will probably offer 4 and Carlton and Adelaide will offer 6. Yes 6 gives more security but can Hayward get better money on a secondary Swans contract because he will be 29 rather than 31.
2) Amount of money. Swans will probably end up offering 650k per year whereas Adelaide is probably 850 and Carlton 800 (give or take 50k). Do you take less money to stay at the Swans? Do you take a slightly higher paying deal to go to another contender, or do you go home to a slightly weaker side for the most amount of money?

I never fault a player for taking the most money and can logically see how all 3 decisions could be valued as Haywards best choice of destination.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine Hayward earning more at the Crows than Dawson 😂

Dawson was reportedly a 650k/yr deal
Imagine your career earnings swaying by like 1 million in total just because of the timing of the contract in comparison to when the new CBA comes into place, e.g. Ben McKay vs Dawson etc

The total player payments will jump from

$15,022,778 in 2023
$15,788,222 in 2024
$17.76m in 2025
$18.29m in 2026
$18.44m in 2027

AVG $441,464 - 2023
AVG $519,000 - 2027

Primary List 36-38

Players split an additional $1.267 million per club in additional services (marketing) across the life of the new CBA which runs until 2027.

Next year is the big jump by 12.6%

Is Will worth $200-250k above average at $700K going forward?

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk
If 500k is average for the entire list then 700k isn't a lot for a best 23 player. I wouldn't have a problem paying him that.

850k I think you're looking at key position players or match winners, which as much as I appreciate Will's role in the team, he is neither. Let's just hope that he's happy to forgo 100k a year to stay where he is and have a crack at a premiership or 2.

Schrodinger's forward. The point is that Hayward was there on the spot to receive the handballs whereas we don't know if any other forwards would have been. He works harder than most to get into position so I would be tempted to think that if someone else was playing in his spot then they may not have been there.
I had a good think about your replles & agree I am off the mark.
Hence why we should match any offer of 6 years at $800,000-850,000 to keep him for that running ability alone.
That emotional side of me has got the better of me & I want to keep him no matter what.

I had a good think about your replles & agree I am off the mark.
Hence why we should match any offer of 6 years at $800,000-850,000 to keep him for that running ability alone.
That emotional side of me has got the better of me & I want to keep him no matter what.
Don’t think we need to match… as long as we’re within 100k, I reckon he stays 🙏
(btw, my wish for him to stay is based on him maintaining his current form, not last year’s form or early this year)

We don't know what players get paid, but it's pretty rare that a player walks on a club purely for financial reasons.
It may not purely be financial reasons being an Adelaide boy though. Of course would love to have him come across to the Crows due to his quality but don't think he's as big a need as a quality mid such as McLuggage or a ruckman who can actually run and kick.

On SM-G736B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ewwww

It may not purely be financial reasons being an Adelaide boy though. Of course would love to have him come across to the Crows due to his quality but don't think he's as big a need as a quality mid such as McLuggage or a ruckman who can actually run and kick.

On SM-G736B using BigFooty.com mobile app
You are 100% correct.

O'Brien's can't be far off retiring especially given he has a medical degree waiting for him. Perhaps you guys give us Dawson back in exchange for Hayward and Ladhams 😉

Outside of Dawson, no other elite mids, although Soligo looks promising.

Flushed with small / medium forwards in Rankine and Rachele. I guess Hayward would free up Rankine to play mid but it would just make more sense to shell out 850k for a proven mid or bump it up to a mil and get someone like Mcluggage.

But maybe you guys see something more in Wilbur than just a HF. After all, you did turn our HB flanker / HF into one of the best midfielders in the competition. Hayward / Dawson / Sligo on ball team maybe?

You are 100% correct.

O'Brien's can't be far off retiring especially given he has a medical degree waiting for him. Perhaps you guys give us Dawson back in exchange for Hayward and Ladhams 😉

Outside of Dawson, no other elite mids, although Soligo looks promising.

Flushed with small / medium forwards in Rankine and Rachele. I guess Hayward would free up Rankine to play mid but it would just make more sense to shell out 850k for a proven mid or bump it up to a mil and get someone like Mcluggage.

But maybe you guys see something more in Wilbur than just a HF. After all, you did turn our HB flanker / HF into one of the best midfielders in the competition. Hayward / Dawson / Sligo on ball team maybe?
There's a fair bit of difference between Dawson's pedigree and Will's. Dawson had played a fair bit of midfield and HF in NEAFL very successfully as well as HB and wing in seniors before moving to the Crows. He's a better build at 190 and 91kg than Will's 186 and 84kg.
I like what Will does for us and hope he stays but the numbers being tossed about are a bit silly.

If you go by what Sam McClure wrote in the Jacob Weitering St Kilda article in The Age tonight, Carlton offer's to Will is
6 x $650k

(One of) our offer(s) is reportedly $550k x say 4 years (just a guess), and Adelaide is 6 x $800-850k

If you go by what Sam McClure wrote in the Jacob Weitering St Kilda article in The Age tonight, Carlton offer's to Will is
6 x $650k

(One of) our offer(s) is reportedly $550k x say 4 years (just a guess), and Adelaide is 6 x $800-850k
I can imagine 6 years would be a lot more attractive taking him out to 31 instead of 29. In both cases his next contract would at best be 2 years and almost certainly less than this one.
This is a big call for Will.
6 x 650 = 3.9
4 x 600 + 2 x 500 = 3.4 guessing our best offer
Half a million. Not exactly chicken feed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back