Player Watch #9 Will Hayward

Remove this Banner Ad

OJ091219MW2517.JPG

Will Hayward
Spritely Sydney Swans forward Will Hayward enjoyed a rocketing start to his career as he became the 11th-youngest player in the AFL era to reach 50 career goals in 2018. The 2016 draftee’s nippy pace and cunning goal awareness have made him a dangerous option in coach John Longmire’s forward line. A broken jaw and a persistent hip injury limited Hayward to just 12 goals in 13 senior games in 2019, but the South Australian is attacking the 2020 campaign on the back of his first full pre-season. Don’t be surprised if the exciting Swan finds himself on a wing this year.

Will Hayward
DOB: 26 October 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #21, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Walkerville (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

If you go by what Sam McClure wrote in the Jacob Weitering St Kilda article in The Age tonight, Carlton offer's to Will is
6 x $650k

(One of) our offer(s) is reportedly $550k x say 4 years (just a guess), and Adelaide is 6 x $800-850k
It is Sam McLure

If you go by what Sam McClure wrote in the Jacob Weitering St Kilda article in The Age tonight, Carlton offer's to Will is
6 x $650k

(One of) our offer(s) is reportedly $550k x say 4 years (just a guess), and Adelaide is 6 x $800-850k
McClure is clueless. Club has practically black listed him for some old garbage stories, so despite barracking for us, almost nothing he reports regarding us is ever correct.

However, Id still assume we're interested as it's been mentioned by 6-7 other journos this year.

McClure is clueless. Club has practically black listed him for some old garbage stories, so despite barracking for us, almost nothing he reports regarding us is ever correct.

However, Id still assume we're interested as it's been mentioned by 6-7 other journos this year.
He is hopeless

Hayward would be a decent fit for your forward line. Can't see you paying significant overs though. Length might be attractive.

Carlton will not be prepared to match massive South Australian offers for Sydney free agent Will Hayward but will offer a chance to compliment its star-studded forward line and a return home for girlfriend Victoria.

Adelaide and Port Adelaide are desperate for his services, and the Crows have so much cap space they are prepared to throw as much as $850,000 a season

Carlton has a six-year offer on the table, it is understood they would not go anywhere near the scope of rival offers.

Their offer would be in the high 600s but won’t start with a seven, let alone $800,000.

Hayward’s partner Victoria is a model represented by Chic Model Management so it will be a decision the couple makes together.

Well apparently he has been offered 6! years from Carlton there is no way we will be matching that lol.

Six years is insane security for a player of his quality.

Not really, he’s 25 and entrenched in the senior team in the form of his career

The money may be another thing but 6 years really isn’t a big deal, it’s the new norm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feels a bit surreal the offers Carlton and Adelaide are putting in. You watch this board get perennially frustrated more often than not over his performances, yet other clubs are offering him a motza you'd expect to see top quality get. I'm aware the cap is going up a bit, but still... $800-850k for Hayward?? Just last year Franklin, one of the greatest forwards of all time, was on not much more than that.

Feels a bit surreal the offers Carlton and Adelaide are putting in. You watch this board get perennially frustrated more often than not over his performances, yet other clubs are offering him a motza you'd expect to see top quality get. I'm aware the cap is going up a bit, but still... $800-850k for Hayward?? Just last year Franklin, one of the greatest forwards of all time, was on not much more than that.

Perhaps suggests a thing or two..

Carlton will not be prepared to match massive South Australian offers for Sydney free agent Will Hayward but will offer a chance to compliment its star-studded forward line and a return home for girlfriend Victoria.

Adelaide and Port Adelaide are desperate for his services, and the Crows have so much cap space they are prepared to throw as much as $850,000 a season

Carlton has a six-year offer on the table, it is understood they would not go anywhere near the scope of rival offers.

Their offer would be in the high 600s but won’t start with a seven, let alone $800,000.

Hayward’s partner Victoria is a model represented by Chic Model Management so it will be a decision the couple makes together.

It’s actually quite fortuitous that the bigger offers are currently in South Australia as his partner would have more work being based in Sydney or Melbourne compared to Adelaide.

If it’s a joint decision you’d think SA would be the worst outcome for their joint income and the laborious travel required for her work.

If Carlton is only offering $50-100K more per annum I can see Will re-signing with us but the Blues probably haven’t tabled their final offer yet.

My gut feel at this stage is that we are well placed to ward off any further offers from Carlton but if he’s keen to go home then we stand no chance of keeping him.

If Will leaves for the Crows mammoth offer then at least we’ll have band 1 compensation and three picks in the first round to play with.

Tbh as morbid as it sounds, I sort of want him to leave to see which group was right? Pro or Anti Hayward?
There's very few "anti" Hayward posters, those that think he is useless, never best 22 and should be traded regardless of any free agency.

I'm a "pro" Hayward poster in that I think he is talented, best 22 for a lot of the time he has been in the 22 (but frustratingly his spot is never in question regardless of form), and I'd much rather he produce consistent good form (with the occasional poor games everyone is entitled to) with us, than head elsewhere.

The problem is, the minute you offer any critique about consistency, you get all kinds of reactionary comments. And to be fair, some of that is because of a few that barely rate him at all. Like "don't just look at the stats" (I don't), to "look at the stats (e.g. goals per game)" (I'm aware that, before the last couple, he has popped up particularly in 2nd halves, barring the Bombers game, often when the game is in control and off work done by others).

He has had a great game followed by a good game, preceded by mostly average games (imo), and a bunch of posters are gleefully assuming they've won whatever argument they thought we were having. Except the argument, at least from me, is that we've seen this before, it's no guarantee he'll maintain his current good/great form.

He'd leave a hole for sure and we don't have a ready made replacement that is exactly like him (you rarely do), but he gets talked about as if he's top 5/10 most important for us, which I just have to disagree with. He may be top 10 in $ in this particular year, but that doesn't say what some think it does. If he continues some good form for a while (or even now), re-sign him, but not at the $800k+ that he'd get elsewhere.

Last edited:
There's very few "anti" Hayward posters, those that think he is useless, never best 22 and should be traded regardless of any free agency.

I'm a "pro" Hayward poster in that I think he is talented, best 22 for a lot of the time he has been in the 22 (but frustratingly his spot is never in question regardless of form), and I'd much rather he produce consistent good form (with the occasional poor games everyone is entitled to) with us, than head elsewhere.

The problem is, the minute you offer any critique about consistency, you get all kinds of reactionary comments. And to be fair, some of that is because of a few that barely rate him at all. Like "don't just look at the stats" (I don't), to "look at the stats (e.g. goals per game)" (I'm aware that, before the last couple, he has popped up particularly in 2nd halves, barring the Bombers game, often when the game is in control and off work done by others).

He has had a great game followed by a good game, preceded by mostly average games (imo), and a bunch of posters are gleefully assuming they've won whatever argument they thought we were having. Except the argument, at least from me, is that we've seen this before, it's no guarantee he'll maintain his current good/great form.

He'd leave a hole for sure and we don't have a ready made replacement that is exactly like him (you rarely do), but he gets talked about as if he's top 5/10 most important for us, which I just have to disagree with. He may be top 10 in $ in this particular year, but that doesn't say what some think it does. If he continues some good form for a while (or even now), re-sign him, but not at the $800k+ that he'd get elsewhere.
I think it’s because we can all see the potential. Hard running, good mark, strong pressure/ contest etc. In the past that has also come with some incredible clangers and brain explosions leading to fan frustration.

If his current hot streak is the new normal, then I actually think that is worth a lot.

I like fast players.

Last edited:
We don't know what players get paid, but it's pretty rare that a player walks on a club purely for financial reasons.

Interesting. Various former Swans have received all manner of derogatory comments when they left for other mobs.
  • Selfish
  • Greedy
  • Over rated own ability
  • Liar
  • Not a team player
  • Rat or scum.

I wonder about the reaction if Hayward goes or stays but forces the trade of another player like Melican, Roberts or Sheldrick because we could not pay them.

Only three times this century did I feel relief (Grohan, Jones and Hall). Usually I am saddened but always wish the best.

Still enjoy watching Dawson, Mitchell and Nank

Interesting. Various former Swans have received all manner of derogatory comments when they left for other mobs.
  • Selfish
  • Greedy
  • Over rated own ability
  • Liar
  • Not a team player
  • Rat or scum.

I wonder about the reaction if Hayward goes or stays but forces the trade of another player like Melican, Roberts or Sheldrick because we could not pay them.

Only three times this century did I feel relief (Grohan, Jones and Hall). Usually I am saddened but always wish the best.

Still enjoy watching Dawson, Mitchell and Nank
I think if Will goes back to SA most will understand. It’s different to the Dawson situation.

If he goes to somewhere like Carlton, I think things will be different.

And personally I don’t refer to any players (or clubs) like you suggest some might. It’s just a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back