Society/Culture A basic income for citizens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ill give a 5% stake in my sun to not do that except when i need to drive up solar prices

gee's your terrible at capitalism. you want him to delay his giant disk long enough for you to gain a large market share of energy. then when you have a monopoly from you second sun you get him to introduce the disk slowly, reducing daylight hours, driving up prices due to solar scarcity.
then if people try to compete with you by building their own sun you remove the disk entirely creating an artificial glut destroying their economic model and justifying your ability to arbitrarily reintroducing the disk to reduce solar production in the future, under so called fiscal responsibility.

gee's your terrible at capitalism. you want him to delay his giant disk long enough for you to gain a large market share of energy. then when you have a monopoly from you second sun you get him to introduce the disk slowly, reducing daylight hours, driving up prices due to solar scarcity.
then if people try to compete with you by building their own sun you remove the disk entirely creating an artificial glut destroying their economic model and justifying your ability to arbitrarily reintroducing the disk to reduce solar production in the future, under so called fiscal responsibility.

My main goal is to ram this second sun into the united states anyway

Beyond that - automated construction on site with advanced customisation. Think what 3D printing can do but at the house-to-skyscraper scale.

But who will we sue if there is a major defect on a building?

There's been a lot of talk here on how finance system is becoming automated. Certainly a lot is, however I can provide examples where it is going the opposite.
There's been talk Esanda (I'm assuming everyone hear has heard of them) will be going back to manual calculations by the credit analysts (plenty of these analyst jobs have been outsourced) because of the glitches in Abacus the system that declines or approves applications for Esanda loans. Furthermore some lenders will bend the rules and lend outside their lending guidelines if a broker/dealer/consultant ect. Has a good relationship with them and can make a case for the customer. A machine being able to have empathy, and instinct is a long way off having capability of doing a task like this.
Also what about occupations like BDM's ect. When employees from other companies ring them up to run an idea, customer or issue past them- again AI is a long way off being able to manage relationships with multiple brokers and business partners. Just my 2 cents in this debate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have to be careful with what a long way off means though. I mean if you told someone in 1986 (30 years ago) that everyone in the world could communicate instantaneously without any cables on a handheld device that you could listen to music on, watch movies and go on the Internet (try and explain that then) people would have thought you were nuts.

The future isn't so far away...

We have to be careful with what a long way off means though. I mean if you told someone in 1986 (30 years ago) that everyone in the world could communicate instantaneously without any cables on a handheld device that you could listen to music on, watch movies and go on the Internet (try and explain that then) people would have thought you were nuts.

The future isn't so far away...

Bingo. The s**t we can conceive right now is probably 5 or 10 years away at most.

The stuff that will be normal in 20 years is s**t we cant even imagine at the moment.

What a time to be alive.

Bingo. The s**t we can conceive right now is probably 5 or 10 years away at most.

The stuff that will be normal in 20 years is s**t we cant even imagine at the moment.

What a time to be alive.

There is a pretty good chance that we will see the technological singularity in our lifetimes (where AI surpassed human intelligence). If you are 70-80 years old and the option comes to transfer you consciousness to a robotic body would you be interested?

For me personally its seems pretty obvious but it would turn society upside down. All race, gender, age judgements would become meaningless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Computing power will continue to increase, that's a given. What the 486 I had in the mid 90s could do was unheard of in the 80s, yet my Samsung S5 makes it look like a pocket calculator let alone what an equivalent modern PC can do.

I'm interested to see how the innovation timeline progresses relative to climate change. Are we as a species clever enough to keep up with the planet when it fights back for what we have done to it?

Computing power will continue to increase, that's a given. What the 486 I had in the mid 90s could do was unheard of in the 80s, yet my Samsung S5 makes it look like a pocket calculator let alone what an equivalent modern PC can do.

well that depends we are fast approaching the limit on what mechanical computers can do, it comes down to the physical restrictions. Basically the majority of our increased speed in computing comes from the CPU, the speeds we achieve are based on the speed of light, by increasing the number of transistors in an area we increase computation power giving us our increasing speeds.

in order to do this we must reduce the size of the transistors on the board as increasing the size of the board will be off set by the increased area light needs to travel to.

this is what gave us moores law, the idea that about every two years we could fit double the amount of transistors on the same size chip, by reducing their size. Which proved true for about 20 years, but today its slowing down. this is because we are approaching the physical limit on reducing transistor size. so far all estimates are that transistors smaller then 5nm just wont work (i think currently we are at 14nm)

we can still improve CPU speeds in other ways (this is why multi core CPU's are a thing now, a single core could has the same speeds as a 4 core, but heat build up *s up performance, multi-cores allow each core to cycle better, improving performance and speeds over a longer period of time) but they have all have limited long term growth.

the only way we can vastly improve mechanical computers at this stage is to find a new material to make transistors out of, because then we can lower the voltage (silicon transistors need a certain amount of voltage work correctly)

and sadly quantum computers are not the answer, but thats a story for another post.

well that depends we are fast approaching the limit on what mechanical computers can do, it comes down to the physical restrictions. Basically the majority of our increased speed in computing comes from the CPU, the speeds we achieve are based on the speed of light, by increasing the number of transistors in an area we increase computation power giving us our increasing speeds.

in order to do this we must reduce the size of the transistors on the board as increasing the size of the board will be off set by the increased area light needs to travel to.

this is what gave us moores law, the idea that about every two years we could fit double the amount of transistors on the same size chip, by reducing their size. Which proved true for about 20 years, but today its slowing down. this is because we are approaching the physical limit on reducing transistor size. so far all estimates are that transistors smaller then 5nm just wont work (i think currently we are at 14nm)

we can still improve CPU speeds in other ways (this is why multi core CPU's are a thing now, a single core could has the same speeds as a 4 core, but heat build up ****s up performance, multi-cores allow each core to cycle better, improving performance and speeds over a longer period of time) but they have all have limited long term growth.

the only way we can vastly improve mechanical computers at this stage is to find a new material to make transistors out of, because then we can lower the voltage (silicon transistors need a certain amount of voltage work correctly)

and sadly quantum computers are not the answer, but thats a story for another post.

any ideas on what materials or composites may be an option? the periodic table seems to be getting a hammering with amazing new inventions delving into elements almost unheard of by the public 15 years ago. It is a very exciting time to live.

we can still improve CPU speeds in other ways (this is why multi core CPU's are a thing now, a single core could has the same speeds as a 4 core, but heat build up ****s up performance, multi-cores allow each core to cycle better, improving performance and speeds over a longer period of time) but they have all have limited long term growth.

I think the future might see us move away from mechanical. Saw this article recently which has some relevance perhaps:

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...al-step-towards-computers-inside-living-cells

Interesting times!!

This idea is being actively explored in a few European nations and the Swiss are voting on its this week (likely to be defeated):

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...l-europe-set-to-pilot-universal-basic-incomes

Thoughts on the idea? Would seem to simplify government income payments but how would it be managed during recessions etc.? Is it likely to free people up to pursue happiness?
the carnegie wylie guy, sir rods son, he is just a muppet seeking his stage on the national curriculum

I refuse, on principle, to go through self-serve checkouts.

The whole 'most jobs will be automated' idea does worry me a bit. It is my subjective feeling that society is already beginning to struggle to create enough jobs to sustain the ever-increasing population. If we have mass unemployment in 30 years' time, how will government collect enough revenue to implement things like a basic income, or fix the potholes in the roads?

Sometimes I reflect and I fear that we are headed for a slow-motion economic disaster.

any ideas on what materials or composites may be an option? the periodic table seems to be getting a hammering with amazing new inventions delving into elements almost unheard of by the public 15 years ago. It is a very exciting time to live.

we're already using composites in chips have been since 22nm. it will only become more common as we downsize. the problem is the base material silcon is reaching its limits. we need to replace silicon completely. As for what can replace it thats hard to say.

boron nitride nanotubes, have alot of potential, they may not even require use as semiconductors to work as transistors.
black phosphorus is basically a nirvana, but manufacturing it in large amounts without impurities is currently beyond us, But with no breakthroughs on the horizon, it seems like a pipe dream.
bilayer graphene could potential give us transistors as small as one atom thick, IBM is ******* around with those to solve the rest state issues. but i think this one will be dud, because any solution found for this problem is means your increasing the size rather then reducing it. it seems counter intuitive.

and this is where the problem lays these are the most promising materials and let we are still a long way off solving there problems. i think graphene will be the laser disk of chips, they will solve a lot of problems and usher in great breakthroughs, but they will be surpassed by other products in a very short amount of time.

I think the future might see us move away from mechanical. Saw this article recently which has some relevance perhaps:

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...al-step-towards-computers-inside-living-cells

Interesting times!!

cell stuff like quantum computers is not applicable to most computing needs, whilst it has vastly more practical applications then quantum computers.
your never going to have one sitting on your desk at work or at home looking at bigfooty instead of dealing with the cluster * that has become the EFY spreadsheet.

we're already using composites in chips have been since 22nm. it will only become more common as we downsize. the problem is the base material silcon is reaching its limits. we need to replace silicon completely. As for what can replace it thats hard to say.

boron nitride nanotubes, have alot of potential, they may not even require use as semiconductors to work as transistors.
black phosphorus is basically a nirvana, but manufacturing it in large amounts without impurities is currently beyond us, But with no breakthroughs on the horizon, it seems like a pipe dream.
bilayer graphene could potential give us transistors as small as one atom thick, IBM is ******* around with those to solve the rest state issues. but i think this one will be dud, because any solution found for this problem is means your increasing the size rather then reducing it. it seems counter intuitive.

and this is where the problem lays these are the most promising materials and let we are still a long way off solving there problems. i think graphene will be the laser disk of chips, they will solve a lot of problems and usher in great breakthroughs, but they will be surpassed by other products in a very short amount of time.

cell stuff like quantum computers is not applicable to most computing needs, whilst it has vastly more practical applications then quantum computers.
your never going to have one sitting on your desk at work or at home looking at bigfooty instead of dealing with the cluster **** that has become the EFY spreadsheet.

would you know a thing or two about batteries? vanadium batteries?

would you know a thing or two about batteries? vanadium batteries?

can't say i know that much, from what i understand (correct me if i'm wrong) they are only have a single charge state so the battery is either positive or negative, if i remember right this solves the issue of charge loss in the capacitor meaning they have an hypothetical infinite recharge life. But the draw back is they store much less power then other types of battery of similar sizes.

What a time to be alive.
By that time Facebook or Google or someone will have convinced us to carry miniature cameras around, recording every minute of our day.

Bookmark it.

Oh wait...

GoogleGlassesPrescription.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back