A fitting Finale for Lin Jong

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed. And It is odd that I consider a guy with a broken collarbone the 'safe' option. But I feel a hard decision needs to be made on one of your younger players, possibly McLean.

I feel both teams are bringing in a lot of potential liabilities in terms of nagging injuries, youth and inexperience and leaving a seemingly reliable guy who won't let nerves get the best of him like Jong out would be reckless. The problem is identifying the possible weak link.

Anyway, go Dogs. In a couple of years time I will hate you, claim the umpires gift you everything and that the AFL has rigged the competition in your favour.

Yes. A really tough call needs to be made. But I really like McLean. He makes things happen when he is around the ball. I wouldn't drop him.

If Jong or Suckling is to come in, then it might have to be Hamling or Roberts to make way.

No one should be dropped after winning the PF, but if nerves/youth is going to be a factor then I would bring in Jong for Daniel. I'm a big fan of Daniel and his elite decision making, but he did have a bad case of fumbles in the first half in the PF, which has me worried for the final.

Again Sucking's Experience could be valuable, but his defensive efforts of late have been substandard and the achilles could be to much of a risk.

No way should Toby be dropped for Jong either, his clearance work was a contributing factor to our win in the PF.

It's taken me a while to accept but I now realize the benefits of someone on our board consistently playing the village idiot.

Makes the rest of us feel smarter whilst becoming more tolerant people.

Congratulations to the Western Bulldogs community on an amazing achievement.

Serious question:

Do you think Lin will be selected? It was an enormous team effort in the PF and a huge call (as some have suggested) to bring in 2 injury clouded players (Lin and Suckling) to a GF, especially since a few of the team will not be 100% (Libba, Wood etc) after recent injuries.

If I was Bevo, I'd really think hard before making too many changes.

Serious question:

Do you think Lin will be selected? It was an enormous team effort in the PF and a huge call (as some have suggested) to bring in 2 injury clouded players (Lin and Suckling) to a GF, especially since a few of the team will not be 100% (Libba, Wood etc) after recent injuries.

Certainly but jong s effort to comeback and deliver a bog in the vfl gf is the kind of gutsy effort that has to be respected. Bev is the kind of guy who will seriously consider Jong. Jong plays well in finals.

If the MC believe we need another midfielder Jong will play precisely because he is unconditional.

Serious question:

Dunno as much as I'd love the fairly tale for Jongy I tend to think someone would have to come up sore/injured for Jong to come in.

Do you think we are too tall down back with Roberts and Hamling? I would look at dropping one of them for Jong or Suckling.
I don't think we're too tall, but I do think we could get away with not playing one of them.

No one should be dropped after winning the PF, but if nerves/youth is going to be a factor then I would bring in Jong for Daniel. I'm a big fan of Daniel and his elite decision making, but he did have a bad case of fumbles in the first half in the PF, which has me worried for the final.

Again Sucking's Experience could be valuable, but his defensive efforts of late have been substandard and the achilles could be to much of a risk.

No way should Toby be dropped for Jong either, his clearance work was a contributing factor to our win in the PF.

Drop CD??.!!!

Caleb was big in the final term. Even had he not been, there is absolutely no way he is in the gun (ie bog v the eagles)

Agreed. Any calls for Caleb to be dropped are absolute stupidity.

IF Lin Jong is brought in, it would be for one of Hamling or Roberts. My gut feel would be Roberts to make way.

Still, its a big risk to the team dynamic and Lin would need to minimise congested packs and stoppages and would likely be limited to relatively minor contact as the game wore on. Risks can pay off though, so interesting times at Bulldogs HQ!

On a side note -

Soft tissue injuries like calves and hamstrings are often easily noticed on GF day. Many a player has limped into a GF and you can tell almost immediately their speed and evasive skills are lacking as soon as the 2nd quarter.

This is why I'd resist bringing in Suckling (unless he's 95%). You lose a rotation in the GF early on and you're in trouble.

Same goes for the Swans. I reckon Sydney should make the hard calls; not select McVeigh and Mills.

I like Jong and he's definitely put his best foot forward for selection but it's hard to see who he replaces.

Maclean has barely put a foot wrong and those free kicks are pure gold in tense moments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At family day they should have a stall where you donate $5 to the club and you get a hug from a big grinning Jong.

Love the guy. Tough as nails. So much character.

We should offer him two years, plus a third year if he meets certain performance targets. Surely that's a reasonable compromise between player and club. C'mon! Let's get him signed!
I think the third year with performance targets would be the way to go and I'd be very surprised if something isn't worked out. Since midseason Jong has made every post a winner,form,courage,determination,any positive box you want to tick he's ticked it. This would be very apparent to those inside the club.

Drop CD??.!!!
I don't think he will or should be dropped. Just really difficult to slot Jong back in. Agreed CD settled and stepped up in the final half of the PF just hope the GF ocassion won't unsettle our talented youth.

Probably when you do us the
favour of closing your BF account.
lol.
Go easy on MD< not many aren't afraid to go against popular opinion and at least he's had the balls to stick to his claims. Whilst I disagree with his opinions on Jong I do agree re. Hrovat. He just goes against the collective here and there, but there's no questioning his love for the dogs. This week should be a week where all us supporters band together. Jong's done his part in delivering the first premiership of the week. whilst I am not a huge fan of his disposal, his defensive game and ability to move the ball forward from stoppages puts him at league average for a mid and combine that with his burst/size he has the ability to be a game breaker - exactly what he was in the VFL grand final. I really want him playing this week but I just can't drop anyone from the prelim.

Re Caleb Daniel: yes he was uncharacteristically fumbly in the first half and several times his tackles did not stick but I have full confidence that the MCG will suit him much better than Spotless Stadium. There was not much space for him to work in at Spotless and his lack of height found him out on occasions. The MCG offers more space to work his magic - look for a much better contribution.

Re Caleb Daniel: yes he was uncharacteristically fumbly in the first half and several times his tackles did not stick but I have full confidence that the MCG will suit him much better than Spotless Stadium. There was not much space for him to work in at Spotless and his lack of height found him out on occasions. The MCG offers more space to work his magic - look for a much better contribution.

Agree with this. CD should play. He is a class act with great decision making and disposal.

Don't get your hopes up yet mate - he could still be a late in :(

Seriously it's getting laughable now

Wanting Daniel and Hamling dropped for a bloke that's last 3 games against the swans have been average at best.

The hate for me that inspires people to want the worst for our team by playing this bloke only makes me stronger lol.

I'm a very very happy dog man and quietly confident now

Last edited:
It's taken me a while to accept but I now realize the benefits of someone on our board consistently playing the village idiot.

Makes the rest of us feel smarter whilst becoming more tolerant people.

Says the bloke who accused Suckling of throwing a game lol

WOW

Remove this Banner Ad

Back