A-League - Grand Final: Melbourne Victory v Adelaide United

Remove this Banner Ad

Im thinking Vidmar is going to be a whole lot angrier when he finally sees a replay.
And so he should be. :mad:

He talks about the great year/game the boys had but he should take some credit too. Now hes got a long way to go (being a 2nd year coach you expect that) but hes got the makings there no worries about that

It's just fantastic how good the A-League is and the two Grand Final's I've been to it's been an absolute pleasure to experience my team winning something. It sounds corny, but **** I hope the Pies win the pre season cup in two weeks. :eek:

Anyway, I thought the traditional Adelaide United score beating Melbourne was 1-0? That's changed a bit...

DSCN0881.jpg

DSCN0902.jpg

And just quietly, is this bloke anyone off here, because I've witnessed him in action a few times this year, and I've never laughed more at one blokes antics at sport ever.

DSCN0892.jpg

If you don't believe the Cristiano send off after 9 minutes was an abhorrent, farcical decision that,

1) Completely f#cked the game as a spectacle for everyone.
2) Scuppered Adelaide's chances - slim as they were - of winning the game.

You have no business posting in this thread because you don't know enough about the sport to comment.

Simple.

Agree it was a crap decision. The whole pre-game mindset of ''We've got nothing to lose'' ''park the Bus'' just created a we can't win mentality.Nothing to lose but a Grand Final

Firstly, you are a disgrace to your username. Idiot. Get another one if you are going to post this uneducated drivel, maybe 'joey barton' would be more apt.

Second, this ref is exactly the reason why the a-league will continue to be a shower of shit. Amatuer hour in what is supposed to be the pinnacle of this sport in this country. Farcical.

So what's the reason for the 6 goals away from home? Yeah the ref:rolleyes:6 wins in a row Oh yeah the ref. You sound like a Bitters fan.

Nice bit of karma for Cristiano.

Also its 6-0 again for the season.

And again Adelaide fail to acknowledge they were beaten by the better side.

Typical Ernie,What did you expect? Who'll ever forget blaming officials for their 6 nil pantsing two seasons back. incredible really

Yes hard to attack when you have a pre-game mindset of defend defend defend. Parking the bus wasn't it? Just saw the Christiano sending off,a poor decision

You obviously still don't get it do you. Adelaide's gameplan is based on it's defense. It has been for pretty much the entire year. It's worked for them. It got them to a GF. The "parking the bus" comment was partially said in jest. What would you expect Vid to say given United was thrashed 4 nil the week before?

Given the lopsided ledger against Victory, you could argue that United needed to change their gamestyle. But we all know how stubborn Vid is. Furthermore, we will never really know if there was a plan B tonight because the early send off pretty much dictated United's plan. I was extremely impressed with some of the defending tonight. Melbourne's goal was a little lucky but credit to them as they took their chances whereas Adelaide didn't.

Most of the "bitterness" is fairly aimed at the refs. They had a massive influence on the game (for both sides). This is the disappointing aspect. Heck, even you and other Victory fans agree that the send off was over the top.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Matthew Breeze is an imcompetent f**kwit. Who knew, eh? I'm not angry at him, I'm angry at the peanuts at the FFA who appointed him to the Grand Final knowing full well what his track record was and what his relationship with one of the clubs involved was. It's a disgrace. Stick with police prosecuting Matthew, and stop ruining our sport.

Red card number one: it's not an easy decision to be fair, but the one thing in Cristiano's favour is he is clearly focusing on the ball - he probably didn't even know where Vargas was. But he still has a duty of care to avoid such an accident. I think a yellow card would have been the far more sensible decision. I consider the red card karma for his dive at Hindmarsh though. ;)

Red card number two: again, an incident that could have been handled far more professionally and sensibly with a talking to and a yellow card. There was no headbutt from Allsopp, although he undoubtedly took a dose of the angry pills. Couldn't believe some of the protests didn't get punished either, but Breeze had already lost complete control by this stage.

On the game itself: well, it was average to say the least. Adelaide did what they promised and tried to defend by all means necessary, and forget about playing football, but it was a product of necessity rather than pre-match tactics. We didn't do enough to raise the pace of the game and were too focused on unlocking the Reds defence through the middle. Then we were genuinely rocking for a few minutes after the break before Tommy P's much-earned moment in the spotlight. I thought the key moment of the game was the introduction of Berger, who gave us an element of unpredictability and width sorely missing. Hopefully this kid will develop into a first team regular next season. Carlos also stepped up hugely once Allsopp was dismissed, with great hold-up play at the front.

And thus ends the perfect domestic season. Much congratulations to Ernie Merrick and all the players. Champions! :D

It was pretty simple really - Adelaide had the better chances, so we were lucky with the win.

Not too sure if the man down helped us, in fact, you can say it clearly didn't. Having to take all the initiative, we had no idea and that's not exactly the first time that happens to us. We're at our best when we're a goal up and without Allsopp going off, we'd more than likely have scored a few more.

Poor red card for Cristiano, but I think FIFA themselves would've been happy with the straight red. No idea why Allsopp had to walk - he did nothing compared to Ognenovski.

Went to the Victory room post-match and our chairman was pissed as. Was funny.

Apologies if this has been mentioned somewhere else....

Why isn't the club song played over loud speaker straight after a win?...Victory's song is the best of the lot, including AFL!

I watched the game last night, and was expecting the song to be played long and loud after it..

Play it with pride guys, its brilliant....What better place to play it, than after winning GrandFinal!!..Congrats Victory:thumbsu:

If you don't believe the Cristiano send off after 9 minutes was an abhorrent, farcical decision that,

You have no business posting in this thread because you don't know enough about the sport to comment.

Simple.

Agreed.

Simple.

I agree with this.

What annoys me is

a) Viddie not giving us any ounce of credit...again.

b) johnny come lately Adelaide fans on here making stupid statements about the better team losing.

Very happy to get the win but I would have liked it to be under better circumstances.

Adelaide did themselves and there supporter base proud last night. The way they battled on was a credit.

Cristano's card has been done to death already, yes it was dodgy and should have been handled a hell of a lot better. Was only a booking.

Didn't see what happened with Allsopp and at the time, I saw Danny on the ground and naturally figured that the Adelaide player had done something.

Very surprised that Eugene wasn't booked after that incident. You shouldn't be allowed to come running in like that and push players and stick your finger into the ref's chest a couple of times. Was another case of Breeze and co. loosing control and ruining the game and believing that there was 53,000 there to watch him run around. Hopefully all 4 officals hand back there match fees after that game.

The 3 mins at the end shocked me. The Allsopp incident alone took 3mins and Berger incident took 3 mins as well. I was genuinely expecting a 7+ min stoppage time.

Pondeljak's goal was a cracker. It was a goal worthy of winning any game. Eugene would have seen it late but I'm not sure he would have saved it anyway.

53,000 is a great crowd, Good to see the coventry end packed with travelling fans.

Not sure was Muscat was doing after the whislte was blown towards the Adelaide fans. Looked like he was rubbing it in there faces a little bit which isn't the right thing to do as a captain. We got the win, that would annoy them enough anyway.

Fantastic effort to be the first side to win all 3 trophies in a season:thumbsu: Hopefully we can put together a side next year who will do a lot better that what we did after winning the league the first time.

Simple.
ahh yeah.... you're replying to a poster who switched from Geelong to Carlton 7 or 8 years ago - because Geelong weren't winning....

Tactically very good that Ernie Merrick. He doesn't get the credit he deserves. Subbed off Nick Ward for Evan Berger, and within two minutes, Berger gets his first touch, takes on the defence, sets the ball up for Tommy P - back of the net.

Is it any wonder why Ernie remains the only inaugural coach still coaching?

What an awesome night.

We were the best team throughout the season and are deserving champions.

As a leader, Kevin Muscat is peerless (and has been throughout the entire history of the league) and will go down as the true inspiration for these two titles.
We need him to play on next year, but i have a feeling he'll pull the pin, and you can't blame him because last night was the best possible way to go out.

Full credit to the Adelaide fans who made the trip over, that is real dedication, and credit to the very few Reds fans who have shown enough good grace in this thread to actually congratulate the champions.

The rest of the posting from Reds fans has been incredibly weak, pathetic and a real case study in 'sore loser' mentality.
Those posters deserve to have it rubbed in, good and proper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back