"Abnormal" the word of 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

What always stood to make Lyons' pairing with Freo a potent one is that Freo had far greater depth than the Saints possessed during Lyon's time.

^ this is the part I like the most. I never agreed with the masses that kept banging on 'Lyon had a far more talented list with the saints'.

It seems that Ross is expressing pretty nuanced coaching skill with rudiment. Everything seems simple. The way we're playing isn't necessarily groundbreaking, but it looks fairly effective (so far). He's saying what he wants. And his post match interviews are concise, short answers: he tells it as it is and doesn't try and write tomorrow's headlines, unlike that w***er Mick Malthouse.

The guy shows how simple football and a good psyche can be. In a good way, of course.

Also, when was the last time anyone said Freo had a culture? Like at all? Maybe some pricks taking the piss said we were perennial losers. But it's pretty cool to see that Rossco's come in and laid down the law. That culture of being very good or not being there at all, of actually having some pride for your position and club is something that was always needed at Fremantle. Imagine if we'd always had this, if you had kids from interstate who can only just buy a beer, but who were spewing and fainting to get a spot and to play for the purple.

In fact, didn't a bloke called Matthew from Adelaide do that in the 90s?

It seems that Ross is expressing pretty nuanced coaching skill with rudiment. Everything seems simple. The way we're playing isn't necessarily groundbreaking, but it looks fairly effective (so far). He's saying what he wants. And his post match interviews are concise, short answers: he tells it as it is and doesn't try and write tomorrow's headlines, unlike that Moo Mick Malthouse.

The guy shows how simple football and a good psyche can be. In a good way, of course.

Also, when was the last time anyone said Freo had a culture? Like at all? Maybe some pricks taking the piss said we were perennial losers. But it's pretty cool to see that Rossco's come in and laid down the law. That culture of being very good or not being there at all, of actually having some pride for your position and club is something that was always needed at Fremantle. Imagine if we'd always had this, if you had kids from interstate who can only just buy a beer, but who were spewing and fainting to get a spot and to play for the purple.

In fact, didn't a bloke called Matthew from Adelaide do that in the 90s?

This has probably been the biggest issue in the club from day 1. Went out and tried to grab in established players but didnt balance it with building from within with youngsters. I think it developed a culture of people seeing out their time sort of thing. Perhaps this may be just the impression the public had via the media.

Compare that to Sydney, where there was an article last year stating that when the new players came on board that got a talk, from Kirky I think, about this is the expectation, this is what is demanded this is what you will deliver. Now look at Sydney over the last 10 years, played in several GF, won one, and really havent bottomed out. In fact in the last 15 years or so they have only missed finals 2 or 3 times.

The biggest thing Rossco has brought to the club is culture, or dare I say it "The Steves" have by recruiting and setting up what they want. But make no mistake the culture is certainly different, that is definitely evident. Which hopefully puts us in a great seat for the long term future.

The culture of an organisation makes a huge difference to how the people go about their work.

This has probably been the biggest issue in the club from day 1. Went out and tried to grab in established players but didnt balance it with building from within with youngsters. I think it developed a culture of people seeing out their time sort of thing. Perhaps this may be just the impression the public had via the media.

Compare that to Sydney, where there was an article last year stating that when the new players came on board that got a talk, from Kirky I think, about this is the expectation, this is what is demanded this is what you will deliver. Now look at Sydney over the last 10 years, played in several GF, won one, and really havent bottomed out. In fact in the last 15 years or so they have only missed finals 2 or 3 times.

The biggest thing Rossco has brought to the club is culture, or dare I say it "The Steves" have by recruiting and setting up what they want. But make no mistake the culture is certainly different, that is definitely evident. Which hopefully puts us in a great seat for the long term future.

The culture of an organisation makes a huge difference to how the people go about their work.

Even two methinks.

Very likely this is one of the reasons they hired Kirk...to build a culture not unlike Sydneys'. Seems to be working so far.

It's game one, but there's a lot to like. Lyons has a personal ethos that won me over, not an automatic thing, so all the more encouraging when you come to appreciate the person as much as the talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back