Academy v Father-Sons

Remove this Banner Ad

What does any of this matter any way?

It doesn't in any way detract from the fact that the undermining of the father son rule is a disgrace.
Mate, you are a pest, you need to be put down - humanely.

As for the list of 50 players (posted by was it Kangaroos4ever?), that just shows how few players come out of NSW pre academies. You can exclude Walker and Staker as Broken Hill is really SA, Hawkins is not NSW he played Vic U18, Davis is SA, Gilbert is Qld just. Of the rest almost all are from Riverina & along the Murray and played most of their footy in Vic.

So in 12-15 years of drafts, the only players of note from heartland NSW are McVeigh & brother, Jack, Hayes, Bruce, LRT, Bird & Witts. That's 8 players in 12-15 years.

I as an intelligent AFL lover, as well as Crows member, have nothing but praise for the northern academies. The more player they produce, the stronger the AFL brand will become in Qld & NSW and the less southern players they'll draft and the better the overall quality of the pool will become.

As for Blakey, who cares except for a handful of myopic North supporters, probably won't end up a high draft pick anyway, appears to have slipped this year and might further next year. Best North concentrate on how they will retain one of the gun SA boys they'll draft at pick 1 or 2 next year. Homesickness here we come!

1. Please stop unnecessarily using language only pseudo-intellectuals would use.

2. Stop acting as if youre standing up for whats right. You are backing whatever horse Sydney will gain from.

Disingenuous?

1. Wow. Maybe I need try to stick to words like 'spud' just for you. :drunk:

2. Sticking up for what's right...and pointing out what's right are two different things.

1. Please stop unnecessarily using language only pseudo-intellectuals would use.

2. Stop acting as if youre standing up for whats right. You are backing whatever horse Sydney will gain from.
As opposed to North fans in this thread.

I should say some. 1 or 2 have been more open and interested than whingy whiney.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Seriously you should make yourself a blue 'make north great again' hat, take this endless tantrum to twitter and run for your clubs presidency ...

I'll be writing to my club president to petition the AFL to ditch this rubbish in the same manner the AFL stepped in and removed the GWS rights to Spargo & Co. I'll also be firing up McGuire on the issue again.

The integrity of the father son rule can still be saved. There's a lot of water to pass under the bridge between now and then.

I'll be writing to my club president to petition the AFL to ditch this rubbish in the same manner the AFL stepped in and removed the GWS rights to Spargo & Co. I'll also be firing up McGuire on the issue again.

The integrity of the father son rule can still be saved. There's a lot of water to pass under the bridge between now and then.
You would better off writing to Eddie Maguire he's the one who pulls the AFL's strings

. I'll also be firing up McGuire on the issue again.

He is more likely to go after your Good Friday spot.

The integrity of the father son rule can still be saved.

629a1a73d4e63e2c28821ba555ea7898.gif

Don't you think you are being a bit too over the top?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know why North fans are upset as they are going to get Blakey. They have a huge amount of money in their salary cap and they are just going to offer Blakey $500,000 a year for 3 years to nominate them. Swans can't match that, so North fans getting upset over this seems almost pointless.

Assuming North finish with a bottom 4 pick as everyone suggests, and given Tarryn Thomas and Bailey Scott (both potential top 20 picks), I'm not sure that Blakey will be in our thinking.

Maybe it might come down to having to sacrifice one of them and if it would take $500k to get Blakey, esp when mids would be our focus, he might be the one.

Assuming North finish with a bottom 4 pick as everyone suggests, and given Tarryn Thomas and Bailey Scott (both potential top 20 picks), I'm not sure that Blakey will be in our thinking.

Maybe it might come down to having to sacrifice one of them and if it would take $500k to get Blakey, esp when mids would be our focus, he might be the one.
Blakey would be slightly ahead of Scott at this stage, but that can always change. A bit depends on who we take this draft and whether Mountford/Simpkin/Williams/Stephenson(Cerra/Dow)/Ahern and Clarke come along in terms of midfield development next season. Nomination time and pick manoeuvring is going to be interesting next season. Both Sydney and north have already started on the pick front.

Last edited:
Disingenuous?

1. Wow. Maybe I need try to stick to words like 'spud' just for you. :drunk:

2. Sticking up for what's right...and pointing out what's right are two different things.
1. Only a few types of people come on big footy and type comments as if they're writing their thesis.

2. Yeah their is a difference there but you weren't attempting either of them.

I should say some. 1 or 2 have been more open and interested than whingy whiney.

Yeah great input. I wouldn't expect a GWS supporter to understand. You're probably still grasping the rules of the actual sport, let alone the politics of draft picks.

Yeah great input. I wouldn't expect a GWS supporter to understand. You're probably still grasping the rules of the actual sport, let alone the politics of draft picks.
Nothing like a bit of pointless denigration from a poster whose contribution this thread has been a personal attack on a poster for using words that were too big for him.
You're a genius clearly.

Whingy whiney exhibit 1.

Maybe discuss the topic at hand.

I may have made 1 or 2 posts that were not much on input but most of mine have actually been on topic.

Your 3 posts are complaining about the calibre of words people use in the thread and using Giants jokes from 2012.

Some info on the Father/son & academy selections + payments in the document below:

https://nabafldraftnom.com.au/images/form/booklet_2017_mens.pdf

Minimum Payments Apply
Notwithstanding any other provision of these rules, a player who nominates for inclusion in any Draft without specifying the payments he requires, or who
nominates payments less than the minimum or fixed football payments which apply to the player in the Collective Bargaining Agreement, will be entitled to
payments from the Club that selects him in accordance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Varying Financial Terms

If a player wishes to vary his nominated financial terms and conditions or withdraw his nomination,he can do so by:
» Lodging a new nomination and specifying new financial terms and conditions, which will revoke any earlier nomination; or
» Lodging a written request to the AFL General Counsel.

Exceptional and Compelling Circumstances

A player selected by a Club can apply to the Appeal Board to be released from the Club that has selected him on the grounds of exceptional and compelling
circumstances which make it harsh and unconscionable for the player to remain bound to that Club.

Academy Players Rule

On Tuesday, 31 October 2017, by 2pm eligible clubs must lodge with the AFL a list of draft-eligible Academy Players it wishes to consider for inclusion on its Primary List or Rookie List. At the National Draft meeting in conjunction with Father-Son bidding nominations,
each Club may “bid” for the player. If matched by the Academy Club, the Academy Club will forfeit one or more subsequent selections, to the
value of the points required to match the bid. If the Academy Club declines to match the bid, the club with the successful bid uses the selection to secure the player.

432415_3b231b62e5b970e9ae6dabed5f91e003.png

Six years of training and development in a city where it was seriously lacking before.

Stick to selling old cars.

This stuff might go over well with the chardy set, but this chat forum is made up of more than ignorant Sydneysiders

Minimum Payments Apply
Notwithstanding any other provision of these rules, a player who nominates for inclusion in any Draft without specifying the payments he requires, or who
nominates payments less than the minimum or fixed football payments which apply to the player in the Collective Bargaining Agreement, will be entitled to
payments from the Club that selects him in accordance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Varying Financial Terms

If a player wishes to vary his nominated financial terms and conditions or withdraw his nomination,he can do so by:
» Lodging a new nomination and specifying new financial terms and conditions, which will revoke any earlier nomination; or
» Lodging a written request to the AFL General Counsel.

It's worth including the following part, to make it clear that the true rookies can't use this:

Nominated Football Payments

A player (other than a first-year draft choice or a second-year player) may specify in the nomination form the football payments he will require over two years if selected at a Draft Selection Meeting.

Nothing like a bit of pointless denigration from a poster whose contribution this thread has been a personal attack on a poster for using words that were too big for him.
You're a genius clearly.
hahaha you're calling me stupid, right? That's what you're implying, yes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back