Mega Thread Adam Goodes (Trolls will be carded - read OP!)

Yeah I can't remember getting a better deal from the umpiring in quite a while
Conspiracy theory! In the last three weeks the teams that have advantaged most out of controversial umpiring decisions are high drawing Vic teams hovering around the top 8 / top 4. Adelaide are hovering around the bottom end of the top 8. More games they lose, more chance of sneaking the high drawing Collingwood back in. You watch Geelong get a solid run next week to try and get Richmond that double chance and settle Geelong into the top 8.

I am of course joking.... i think.

momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
Conspiracy theory! In the last three weeks the teams that have advantaged most out of controversial umpiring decisions are high drawing Vic teams hovering around the top 8 / top 4. Adelaide are hovering around the bottom end of the top 8. More games they lose, more chance of sneaking the high drawing Collingwood back in. You watch Geelong get a solid run next week to try and get Richmond that double chance and settle Geelong into the top 8.

I am of course joking.... i think.
Please don't spread that theory on the MB. There is enough anger and angst there to fuel a small city.

V9x18

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2014
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Pistons, Browns, BCFC, Lions
gillon's leadership ever since he's taken over has been nothing short of pathetic.

didn't agree with everything a.d did but he's twice the man that gill is.

piss weak

gillon's leadership ever since he's taken over has been nothing short of pathetic.

didn't agree with everything a.d did but he's twice the man that gill is.

piss weak

Respectfully disagree, Gillon has been fantastic dealing with some very tough issues. He's had a real trial by fire to start his tenure with but I think he's handled himself as best as one could hope. I will concede he handled the Sydney trading debacle pretty awfully, but apart from that I think he should be applauded.

Respectfully disagree, Gillon has been fantastic dealing with some very tough issues. He's had a real trial by fire to start his tenure with but I think he's handled himself as best as one could hope. I will concede he handled the Sydney trading debacle pretty awfully, but apart from that I think he should be applauded.

Agree to disagree, to be a leader you need to lead. In my humble opinion I think he has tried to be too consultative, I know AD was not overly well-liked but that is because he lead with an iron-fist. He grew the game to the leading sport in Australia that it is today by having a strategy that was the interest of the game not the self-interests of the individual clubs, personally I think Gil takes to much influence for the big vic clubs and lacks true leadership.

V9x18

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2014
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams

couldn't disagree more.

he folded to the demands of the big victorian presidents in the trade and academy debacle.

it then took him 6 months to respond the goodes situation - a strong leader would have nipped it in the bud, if he had done, maybe we could of avoided this ugly situation.

even then his only response has been an open letter and an ad campaign.

am curious to know why you think he should be applauded?
because he took a couple dollars off meat pies?

Jun 8, 2008
On the couch
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton,LA Lakers,LA Rams,NY Mets
I think the afl has disenfranchised afl supporters by calling them racist . Most haven't the intelligence to work out what this means. I thought they should have gone down the bullying track which I think it's more accurate and people can better comprehend. What adam does to represent his people is his business . In a free country with free speech he's views and actions should be free of prosecutors unless they are unlawful , last time I checked nothing he has done is criminal or unlawful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

couldn't disagree more.

he folded to the demands of the big victorian presidents in the trade and academy debacle.

it then took him 6 months to respond the goodes situation - a strong leader would have nipped it in the bud, if he had done, maybe we could of avoided this ugly situation.

even then his only response has been an open letter and an ad campaign.

am curious to know why you think he should be applauded?
because he took a couple dollars off meat pies?

Personally he won me over halfway through the year with the way he handled various issues. The Phil Walsh tragedy was handled exceptionally well, he came out and put his foot down regarding drugs in sport, saying there will be a new policy next year. The Goodes situation is a tougher one because there isn't really much he could do initially, if he'd jumped on it early it may have only made the situation worse, those abusing Goodes may have only gotten more vocal, by waiting for public opinion to turn as much as it has he's launched the campaign at the perfect time.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Really heartwarming and gratifying to see how many posters on non-sport forums on the MSM have taken to inserting the number 37 into their user name.

What a lovely, subtle gesture of support!

And totally gives the lie to those dickheads on the MB who assert, (without apparently feeling any obligation to back it with any facts whatsoever) that everyone is booing Goodes because he's a (insert personal bugbear of choice here).

V9x18

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2014
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Goodes situation is a tougher one because there isn't really much he could do initially, if he'd jumped on it early it may have only made the situation worse, those abusing Goodes may have only gotten more vocal, by waiting for public opinion to turn as much as it has he's launched the campaign at the perfect time.

sorry mate thats just crap.

he's not a leader, he's a follower

liz

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Personally he won me over halfway through the year with the way he handled various issues. The Phil Walsh tragedy was handled exceptionally well, he came out and put his foot down regarding drugs in sport, saying there will be a new policy next year. The Goodes situation is a tougher one because there isn't really much he could do initially, if he'd jumped on it early it may have only made the situation worse, those abusing Goodes may have only gotten more vocal, by waiting for public opinion to turn as much as it has he's launched the campaign at the perfect time.

The reaction to the Walsh situation by the whole AFL community was touching, but it was the clubs (and especially Clarkson and Buckley) who found a way for each club to outwardly show their compassion for Adelaide and the Walsh family in such a classy way. There was nothing wrong with Gillon's actions in the case but he wasn't a leader of anything.

As for the Goodes situation, Gillon hasn't launched anything. If anyone has "launched" the current discussions - or at least kicked them off - it is Lewis Jetta. The Eagles and Swans then followed with their firm statements and leaders of other clubs, like Murphy, Scott and Hardwick have made it clear where their thoughts lie, that this isn't a matter for the Swans to deal with alone but one for the whole competition to tackle together. The AFL hierarchy's response has been tepid compared to that of many of the clubs.

The reaction to the Walsh situation by the whole AFL community was touching, but it was the clubs (and especially Clarkson and Buckley) who found a way for each club to outwardly show their compassion for Adelaide and the Walsh family in such a classy way. There was nothing wrong with Gillon's actions in the case but he wasn't a leader of anything.

As for the Goodes situation, Gillon hasn't launched anything. If anyone has "launched" the current discussions - or at least kicked them off - it is Lewis Jetta. The Eagles and Swans then followed with their firm statements and leaders of other clubs, like Murphy, Scott and Hardwick have made it clear where their thoughts lie, that this isn't a matter for the Swans to deal with alone but one for the whole competition to tackle together. The AFL hierarchy's response has been tepid compared to that of many of the clubs.

Really? McLaughlan had to deal with the toughest logistical concern of that round. The cancellation of a game is not an easy task, and it was dealt with very well.

He could have shown leadership and got the clubs involved to work with their supporter bases well before this, his failure to see this becoming the issue it is today shows a distinct lack of forsight as leader. Whilst in no way is it the sole reason, his failure to confront the issue (as leader of AFL) is a certainly part of thereason it is the out of control mess it is today.

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
All I know is Gillon and the AFL refused to admit racism was the cause of the booing even AFTER the war dance controversy in May this year.

This is despite game after game fans were being ejected for racial taunts in 2014.

Against Essendon, Richmond, Hawthorn, and the Western Bulldogs last year there were boos and supporters being ejected for racial slurs. The AFL did nothing.

Gillon's exact quote in May this year was that the reasons for the boos was "complex". Complex? This is the reason the 'goodes took a dive 80 games ago' cover for being a racist boor went mainstream. When the head of the AFL gentrifies that dubious position, no wonder it's taken hold.

He was booed all year this year as well. Nothing done.

Even this week the AFL refused to call it racism on Monday. But the tide had turned and Gillon's double talk no longer cut it. Thr Victorian premier came out the next day and said it was racism just to stick it to the AFL and correct the error (bless him).

Gillon and the AFL are so far behind the rest of Australia in this debate it's a joke. Thank God they've been cajoled to finally take a stand now...last in the line. But hey, better late than never right?

Last edited:

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney

Rear Admiral

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I wanted to comment sooner, but kept getting side tracked.

This idiocy regarding Goodes and Jetta has brought to the surface just what a bunch of idiots many (typically white) Australians are. This stupidity started with racism, and was then followed with blind sheep mentality. What this whole debacle has shown is just how many closet racists and morons we have to endure. But what truly makes me sick is how the vast majority of racists know their attitudes are unacceptable, where they go to great lengths to hide their opinions and behaviour, but as soon as they think they can get away with it....either behind closed doors, or in mass numbers....they let their true colours come to the fore. Racism is alive and well, but these "people" that are racist have learnt to be more careful in exposing their filth.

Sure, there has always been booing in AFL, and most Aboriginal players don't get booed or vilified, but the one difference here is that the person being booed and harassed previously expressed their Aboriginal culture out on the field - that's the bottom line. The moment any Aboriginals look to celebrate their Aboriginal culture on the national stage, they are treated like trouble makers. Those wishing to criticise Goodes and Jetta - feel free to stand up and shout from the rooftops....you're nothing more than bigots that are trying to find a stage to insult and degrade Aborigines (and other non-whites).

I'm not a Sydney supporter, and I do happen to be a white caucasian, but I can only hope and pray that Goodes and Jetta don't take their foot off the accelerator with this. Not one iota.

desafinado74

Senior List
Jun 4, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Newcastle United (Toon Army)
I wanted to comment sooner, but kept getting side tracked.

This idiocy regarding Goodes and Jetta has brought to the surface just what a bunch of idiots many (typically white) Australians are. This stupidity started with racism, and was then followed with blind sheep mentality. What this whole debacle has shown is just how many closet racists and morons we have to endure. But what truly makes me sick is how the vast majority of racists know their attitudes are unacceptable, where they go to great lengths to hide their opinions and behaviour, but as soon as they think they can get away with it....either behind closed doors, or in mass numbers....they let their true colours come to the fore. Racism is alive and well, but these "people" that are racist have learnt to be more careful in exposing their filth.

Sure, there has always been booing in AFL, and most Aboriginal players don't get booed or vilified, but the one difference here is that the person being booed and harassed previously expressed their Aboriginal culture out on the field - that's the bottom line. The moment any Aboriginals look to celebrate their Aboriginal culture on the national stage, they are treated like trouble makers. Those wishing to criticise Goodes and Jetta - feel free to stand up and shout from the rooftops....you're nothing more than bigots that are trying to find a stage to insult and degrade Aborigines (and other non-whites).

I'm not a Sydney supporter, and I do happen to be a white caucasian, but I can only hope and pray that Goodes and Jetta don't take their foot off the accelerator with this. Not one iota.

Well said..the funny thing is, these haters dare not abuse Goodes face to face. Just cowards hiding behind their keyboards.
And i hope your club will find a good coach next year (Surely you guys will not go for Malthouse ?!)

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
I think the afl has disenfranchised afl supporters by calling them racist . Most haven't the intelligence to work out what this means. I thought they should have gone down the bullying track which I think it's more accurate and people can better comprehend. What adam does to represent his people is his business . In a free country with free speech he's views and actions should be free of prosecutors unless they are unlawful , last time I checked nothing he has done is criminal or unlawful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is it ! Well said and if Jetta hadn't of carried on it wouldn't be this bad

Back