Mega Thread Adam Goodes (Trolls will be carded - read OP!)

Remove this Banner Ad

This is it ! Well said and if Jetta hadn't of carried on it wouldn't be this bad

How exactly did Lewis carry on?

There is absolutely no excuse imaginable that anyone can profer that justifies the treatment of Adam Goodes. NONE.
From where I sit it reads like you are making excuses for some pretty ordinary people who have behaved reprehensibly.
What Lewis Jetta did was the right thing.

Maturity has allowed me to realise the consequences of our actions/words in this delicate situation. I've found myself agreeing with some anti-Goodes statements, I've found myself defending fiercely! Upon reflection, I've found myself disagreeing with those negative statements, through FACT! This is the guy, I idolise, my son idolises and I find myself feverishly defending him. This guy is a legend of our club, he's a legend of our game and the way he has conducted himself within the media over the years...he's proven a legend to his peers and I congratulate each and every supporter of Goodesy, I especially appreciate the efforts of (this hurts) the Richmond FC and my late grandfather's beloved Footscray (WB). What an honour to see this champion person!!!

Respectfully disagree, Gillon has been fantastic dealing with some very tough issues. He's had a real trial by fire to start his tenure with but I think he's handled himself as best as one could hope. I will concede he handled the Sydney trading debacle pretty awfully, but apart from that I think he should be applauded.
Rubbish. Gillon panders to his patrons-the wealthy, white, predominantly male members of the AFL Commission, and their business interests- which includes the fans of the wealthy Victorian clubs. He is unwinding the expansion into non traditional markets that AD promoted.
He has done what has been politically expedient on this issue. True leadership would have been to have done what was right, and called out the racism early, for what it was,

Goodesy didn't ask for anyone to make him feel the way he felt after that West Coast game.

I have no doubt that if by just watching the game on TV we could hear the booing, then the players could hear some serious racist trash talk coming from over the fence. When it's wide spread, it is intimidating & in Goodesy's eye's, he would have walked away thinking of how far backwards we have gone.

The events of this weekend would have gone a long way to making Goodsey feel once again that as a country, we actually have come a long way.
I think that after this week, many, many more people have become better educated on the matter.

Nice piece of writing here by Rohan Connolly:

Who are we talking about? There's the ideologues, those either with a vested interest in maintaining the status quo or who persist with a fatuous argument about reverse racism. There's the denialists, for whom even examining their own consciousness is too painful a task to confront.

And then there's the rank opportunists, several of whom these days appear to reside in the media industry, those who seek to dog-whistle and encourage intolerance for their own narcissistic purposes, either oblivious to or completely unconcerned by the emotional toll taken on the targets of their derision.

It's not a particularly attractive cross-section of human nature. One with which you'd hope even those who for less self-serving ends don't support the initiatives taken these past few days to support Goodes wouldn't want to be seen identifying with.

So what will happen if Goodes runs out at Geelong's Simonds Stadium next Saturday night? Of course some "heroes" will continue to jeer, then rationalise their reasons for doing so. Of course the opportunists will continue to sneer for the sake of their own profiles and pass it off as "telling it like it is".

But I prefer to think better of people, football people particularly. The game showed a more gracious side over the past couple of days. Next weekend is another chance for it to prove it has a heart and a conscience far, far bigger than those sad souls who'd use Goodes' travails to foster their own miserable ends.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-the-faith-20150802-gipujn.html#ixzz3hhj3daZr

Nice piece of writing here by Rohan Connolly:

Who are we talking about? There's the ideologues, those either with a vested interest in maintaining the status quo or who persist with a fatuous argument about reverse racism. There's the denialists, for whom even examining their own consciousness is too painful a task to confront.

And then there's the rank opportunists, several of whom these days appear to reside in the media industry, those who seek to dog-whistle and encourage intolerance for their own narcissistic purposes, either oblivious to or completely unconcerned by the emotional toll taken on the targets of their derision.

It's not a particularly attractive cross-section of human nature. One with which you'd hope even those who for less self-serving ends don't support the initiatives taken these past few days to support Goodes wouldn't want to be seen identifying with.

So what will happen if Goodes runs out at Geelong's Simonds Stadium next Saturday night? Of course some "heroes" will continue to jeer, then rationalise their reasons for doing so. Of course the opportunists will continue to sneer for the sake of their own profiles and pass it off as "telling it like it is".

But I prefer to think better of people, football people particularly. The game showed a more gracious side over the past couple of days. Next weekend is another chance for it to prove it has a heart and a conscience far, far bigger than those sad souls who'd use Goodes' travails to foster their own miserable ends.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-the-faith-20150802-gipujn.html#ixzz3hhj3daZr
I was just going to post that. Lovely summary of the positive side of this sorry saga.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Indeed. I get that. Many don't. Still..I prefer to make up my own mind.

Ok Tuco,,,somehow i managed access the Australian. I will copy and paste the article here :

The Adam Goodes race debate has exposed deep divisions and inadequate leadership within the AFL Commission, with the game’s governing body split over whether bigotry is fuelling the abuse of the Sydney Swans star and whether Goodes is to blame.

The divisions within the commission were laid bare during a meeting on Tuesday, with both chairman Mike Fitzpatrick and chief executive Gillon McLachlan uncertain over how best to respond to the crowd baiting that has caused Goodes to consider his involvement in the game.

The AFL’s failure to acknowledge that Goodes is being racially abused and condemn those supporters responsible has bitterly disappointed some commission members, who want stronger action, and frustrated the Sydney Swans.

The Australian understands the nine-person commission is split into three camps.

[Mod Edit - No Cut and Pasting Full Articles as per site rules]

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok Tuco,,,somehow i managed access the Australian. I will copy and paste the article here :

The Adam Goodes race debate has exposed deep divisions and inadequate leadership within the AFL Commission, with the game’s governing body split over whether bigotry is fuelling the abuse of the Sydney Swans star and whether Goodes is to blame.

The divisions within the commission were laid bare during a meeting on Tuesday, with both chairman Mike Fitzpatrick and chief executive Gillon McLachlan uncertain over how best to respond to the crowd baiting that has caused Goodes to consider his involvement in the game.

The AFL’s failure to acknowledge that Goodes is being racially abused and condemn those supporters responsible has bitterly disappointed some commission members, who want stronger action, and frustrated the Sydney Swans.

The Australian understands the nine-person commission is split into three camps.

Compliments of Rupert
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...insipid-response/story-fnca0u4y-1227467182876
If tis doesn't get you in just google a reference to AFL commissioners

Compliments of Rupert
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...insipid-response/story-fnca0u4y-1227467182876
If tis doesn't get you in just google a reference to AFL commissioners
I will summarize the most interesting bit.
It implies that Fitzpatrick is the one who blamed Goodes.
I have only met him once when he was playing and was having an affair with an acquaintance and he came across as an arrogant turd. His performance in the cot got a fairly scathing review by the way. His career has gone on to the Board of Rio Tinto so he wouldn't have improved. I would be really disappointing if Kim Williams opposed Goodes as he was a conscientious resister during the Vietnam War and also Chris Langford who apparently is a great person. Langford was the only Hawthorn player to make an on-field demonstration against the Melbourne Hawthorn merger by taking his jumper off and holding it up over his head in opposition to the merger. Surely Jason Ball backed Goodes. The general worked under Petraeus in Iraq so she could be anything on this and the boss of Bunnings - who knows. But Le Grande's source has leaked Fitzpatrick as the grub.

Thanks guys. Yeesh. The AFL commissioners seem to run meetings like a board on bigfooty.

Disappointing.

Warning: Don't Read the comments. It'll ruin your day.

I will summarize the most interesting bit.
It implies that Fitzpatrick is the one who blamed Goodes.
I have only met him once when he was playing and was having an affair with an acquaintance and he came across as an arrogant turd. His performance in the cot got a fairly scathing review by the way. His career has gone on to the Board of Rio Tinto so he wouldn't have improved. I would be really disappointing if Kim Williams opposed Goodes as he was a conscientious resister during the Vietnam War and also Chris Langford who apparently is a great person. Langford was the only Hawthorn player to make an on-field demonstration against the Melbourne Hawthorn merger by taking his jumper off and holding it up over his head in opposition to the merger. Surely Jason Ball backed Goodes. The general worked under Petraeus in Iraq so she could be anything on this and the boss of Bunnings - who knows. But Le Grande's source has leaked Fitzpatrick as the grub.

Fitzpatrick is not keen on anything Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back