Analysis Adam Kelly is a fraud

Remove this Banner Ad

Also, there's no evidence of that at all. All we know is that the $ on offer from Saints by 4 years and gettable trigger was Brad's favoured offer. We don't know how many were tabled but he was open about his requirement for term. He could have had 17 offers by 4 with a trigger, but only 1 gets lodged. People then say, "only one club wanted him". It's rank stupidity combined with no understanding of the process at all.
Well there is, and there isn't.

Winter said this morning he was only ever going into the PSD to St Kilda and nowhere else, whilst at the same time saying there was plenty of interest.

There wasn't plenty of interest at the terms he wanted.

This might work in our favour though. "Guys, sorry, but you know we need a win. It's up to you, but it's either a pick you don't even want or the PSD. I'm sorry, we'll make it up to you later, but right now we need something to hit our side of the ledger. 23, sh*t, ok, that's great, easier than I thought, thanks guys, I owe you one."
GWS: "Ok Crows, for your Pick 23 we'll give you Jackson Hately plus-"

Reid: "We'll take it!"

Part of the problem is that players have too much power to go where they want. There may have been interest from other clubs but we can't trade him there without Crouch's approval. Once he says he wants to go to the Saints and no where else we're ****ed.

No, they wouldn't have, not with us anyway. Why would clubs speak with us when we don't even own the rights to the player. Once we match and assuming he declines our contract, he's ordinary uncontracted. So we're just trading him to the club that he chooses for what we can get. That might be Saints or they may have pulled that offer. But whoever ponies up the offer that he accepts under trade conditions needs to satisfy us. End result is better than pick 23. You do realise that once we match, his FA status is eliminated.

And the reason phase 2 couldn't happen is because we had to match first. Which means Brad could sign the contract and stay. And even if Essendon's 7 was going to be on the table, we wouldn't risk Brad staying. It's that simple.
If you were a Saints supporter, would you be happy to give up a first round pick for a guy on such a low salary for midfielder?

I just can't see any club offering that pick given the salary the market has said he is worth.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

GWS: "Ok Crows, for your Pick 23 we'll give you Jackson Hately plus-"

Reid: "We'll take it!"
They gave Langdon for 50 odd, would be an epic disaster.... Even bigger than yesterday if we gave up 23.

Question: Does this mean we can * other teams over if we ever get a FA that wants to come here? Just put the contract low enough to give them * all compo, but have easy to hit triggers (kick one goal in a season, play one game in a season). Just reeks of manipulation by the Saints, that we KNOW we would not have been able to get away with.

Might need some media lessons, but the club would also be controlling what he says as well. I just feel like the club has put him out as the fall guy, Reid should’ve fronted last week and today, he’s an absolutely piss weak disgrace. Kelly was involved in some very good assistant coach hires, so he must be good at some aspects of the job.
I think Reid should definitely have fronted up after , Kelly will be ok he’s just shown on more than this occasion he’s a bit green . Still , he’s not dangerous like Burton

The most obvious step would be not telegraphing to the entire AFL world that Brad Crouch wasn't wanted at the Crows under any circumstance

People are trying to defend the Club by saying we were in such a shitty position that we had no choice... without acknowledging that we tipped the buckets of s**t all over ourselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question: Does this mean we can fu** other teams over if we ever get a FA that wants to come here? Just put the contract low enough to give them fu** all compo, but have easy to hit triggers (kick one goal in a season, play one game in a season). Just reeks of manipulation by the Saints, that we KNOW we would not have been able to get away with.
no, because other teams would just match. It's not rocket science

Part of the problem is that players have too much power to go where they want. There may have been interest from other clubs but we can't trade him there without Crouch's approval. Once he says he wants to go to the Saints and no where else we're f’ed.

This is what frustrates me, it's easy enough to say we can try to work out a trade with other clubs, but realistically Brad is not going to go to any of them. His management will have been working on the deal for months, they've picked the best offer for them.

Personally, I think players are professional athletes who have it pretty easy compared to other professional athletes.

I'd keep free agency, remove all compensation.

I'd have clubs own and trade players freely, even while under contract contract until unrestricted free agency.

I guess the end of any contract for players who are not unrestricted they can go and find the best deal with any club, but with the club that owns the player being able to match or trade for the same deal to any club.

Free it up, even it up, help clubs balance lists and manage costs. Removes benefits of being a popular club or desirable location.

Who cares if a 24 year old from Melbourne has to spend a couple of years away from mum while earning $500k a year over in Perth or something.

Talk of players unions and workers rights and whatever else, sure, but in the end none of them are choosing the real world over any version of the above.

Last edited:
This is what frustrates me, it's easy enough to say we can try to work out a trade with other clubs, but realistically Brad is not going to go to any of them. His management will have been working on the deal for months, they've picked the best offer for them.

Personally, I think players are professional athletes who have it pretty easy compared to other professional athletes.

I'd keep free agency, remove all compensation.

I'd have clubs own and trade players freely during even contract until unrestricted free agency.

I guess the end of any contract for players who are not unrestricted they can go and find the best deal with any club, but with the club that owns the player being able to match or trade for a matched deal to any club.

Free it up, even it up, help clubs balance lists and manage costs. Removes benefits of being a popular club or desirable location.

Who cares if a 24 year old from Melbourne has to spend a couple of years away from mum while earning $500k a year over in Perth or something.

Talk of players unions and workers rights and whatever else, sure, but in the end none of them are choosing the real world over any version of the above.
Yeah needs to be more like the NBA system. Free agents get full rights, no compensation for the organisation. The flipside is that the organisation can also trade players regardless of their wishes. They also have waivers.

Part of the problem is that players have too much power to go where they want. There may have been interest from other clubs but we can't trade him there without Crouch's approval. Once he says he wants to go to the Saints and no where else we're f’ed.
I don't see how anyone can say this. The whole issue is that Crouch is no longer under contract at Adelaide for next season and yet the club still had a say about where he plays next year, and blew it.

You do inadvertently hit on something though. With the appointment of Olsen, talking about rebuilding the relationship with the SANFL, etc. I see the club fully hiding behind "None of this would happen if footy was like it was in the old days. WHy don't the players just bloody kick the ball like they used to!?" rhetoric when faced with criticism.

You think he’s worth more King Elvis? Gee people on this board overrate our players
I agree about people iver rating our players

Pick 15 sounds about right to me, however Im not prepared to move up 8 places and risk having to keep Brad for 5 years

I rather find another mechanism to move up the draft

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

No, the problem is that the players want to be anywhere but here. We're the worst club in the AFL.

I'm assuming, as they've indicated in the last media conference, that they used those days to try and canvas other clubs about taking Crouch IF they were to match the bid.
Apparently no other clubs were interested in coughing up draft picks.

I have to wonder whether the Treloar situation has muddied the waters for us.

you watch Treloar have SFA to do with any of this

Just wondering if anyone here has worked or experienced the inner sanctum of an AFL club. No....didn't think so.

Actually, I think I saw someone in an other thread say they had, but the rest of us haven't.

We were always going to get reamed on this. The reaction from most on here is laughable.

Brad has played 95 games. How many times has he got 3 Brownlow votes in those games?? Two times.

The market set his price about right. Kelly did all he could. He cant move the market.

Someone in the club a few years ago mentioned organic growth. Look at the young players that show something last season.

We have young players that will at least equal Brads output.

Move on.

lots of people here have worked at much higher levels in much bigger and better organisations

Remove this Banner Ad

Back