Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Just on Simpson what exactly did people expect this year. We were actually lucky to win 3 games last year and that was with Kelly and Allen having career years. The two of them matching that output was 50/50 at best for this year. In those games we won or were competitive in senior players like Yeo, Shuey, Hurn and Cripps had big impacts.

So many people seem to expect the team to perform significantly better this year but we just don't have the cattle to execute the game plan. The game plan is seen in passages and the only issue i've seen so far is trying to push too far forward with the zone on behinds.

I've been saying for 18+ months that following the natural cycle that 2024 and 2025 will be our worst years.

Just on Simpson what exactly did people expect this year. We were actually lucky to win 3 games last year and that was with Kelly and Allen having career years. The two of them matching that output was 50/50 at best for this year. In those games we won or were competitive in senior players like Yeo, Shuey, Hurn and Cripps had big impacts.

So many people seem to expect the team to perform significantly better this year but we just don't have the cattle to execute the game plan. The game plan is seen in passages and the only issue i've seen so far is trying to push too far forward with the zone on behinds.

I've been saying for 18+ months that following the natural cycle that 2024 and 2025 will be our worst years.
Who are these people you speak of who expect us to significantly improve this year?

Many many, posters on this forum, football media and the general public were calling for Gaff to be dropped for a long time, going back years.
It’s taken stubborn Simpson until round 2 2024 to make that call.
When I think of all those centre bounces when Gaff started as an inside mid, I scratch my head and wonder what the * goes through Simpson’s head? Maybe it’s a wind tunnel.

He's very likely finished, and regardless of the cattle he doesn't have I'll be glad to see him go.

Let the tail wag the dog for too long, enabled poor standards, we need a new voice/face desperately
Yeah same, I just don't care whenever he speaks now.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Its as if people live in a virtual world - well I guess BF is virtual.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's very likely finished, and regardless of the cattle he doesn't have I'll be glad to see him go.

Let the tail wag the dog for too long, enabled poor standards, we need a new voice/face desperately
I agree. As many have mentioned, there are a bunch of players on the list that appear too comfortable and run a lot slower back to defend than they do to attack. That all comes down to coaching and standards.

The good thing with the hard start to the year is it should give Pyke plenty of reason to sack Simmo by the bye if we start getting belted by 100+ regularly. The sooner the better. A caretaker can start the process of reinvigorating the list and shaking up the status quo.

Any new coach needs a minimum of one year to try and get their new gameplan going. If we have a new one by 2025, they at least get two seasons if low expectations to bed in their style. Should hopefully be firing as the young list starts turning the corner to rise up the ladder.

There's no point sacking him with one year to go of his contract. Judge him on 2025 as that's the year I expect we do better.

Then if he starts bad in 2025 then sack him middle round.

Last edited:

Yep, and all those new Coaches are standing outside the gate just waiting for Simmo to go.

There's no point sacking him with one year to go of his contract. Judge him on 2025 as that's the year I expect we do better.

Then if he starts bad in 2025 then sack him middle round.
He starts badly? There is a big gap in logic here. We largely will have a colts team backed up by a few aging good players (but not superstars) and a bunch of WAFL level mid age players. The aim is to build a strong list over time (re-build) not to go well now or in 2025.

A caretaker can start the process of reinvigorating the list and shaking up the status quo.
I suppose that depends on the definition of reinvigorating.

I take it to mean replenish the list with new faces, and those players now are held to standards and have youth / enthusiasm. My view is incorrect compared to the textbook definition.

However, the older players are cooked. The credits have been running too long. There is no reinvigorating of these players.

It's the draft, new players, and standards. There is no short-term fix. It's years and years.

May as well have Simmo, the caretaker, as whoever comes in now is on a hiding to nothing.

All I know is that pick 1 & 30 for years on end doesn't even come close to cutting it. You can't even replenish the (past quality) players going out.

I'm proud that we don't trade out aging stars.

All we have left therefore are handout picks and having to nail FA for quality every year.

Further to that, the best system, before the secret herbs and spices assistance was 2 x top picks for finishing with a handful of wins in one given year.

So for 2 years, we'd have picks 1 and 3. 1, 1, 3, 3.

Without getting into pick splitting. Of those 4 x picks, one would be a superstar, one would be a grade, another a b to b+ and the 4th a complete bust.

With the above, we have progress. With what we have now, we can't even tread water. I.e. keep the staus quo of matching one of the worst sides of all time.

And adding to that with have 2 x picks at 19 for 2 years rather downgraded to 2 x at pick 30.

Absolute shizzen.

I suppose that depends on the definition of reinvigorating.

I take it to mean replenish the list with new faces, and those players now are held to standards and have youth / enthusiasm. My view is incorrect compared to the textbook definition.

However, the older players are cooked. The credits have been running too long. There is no reinvigorating of these players.

It's the draft, new players, and standards. There is no short-term fix. It's years and years.

May as well have Simmo, the caretaker, as whoever comes in now is on a hiding to nothing.

All I know is that pick 1 & 30 for years on end doesn't even come close to cutting it. You can't even replenish the (past quality) players going out.

I'm proud that we don't trade out aging stars.

All we have left therefore are handout picks and having to nail FA for quality every year.
Simmo seems checked out to me. I want the young guys to develop with the coach that is taking them back to finals.

And I do get that point of view. I just think finals is ummm... a fair few years away...2017 / 2018. Who knows.
I agree that 2027/2028 is most likely. That would mean the coach has had two to three seasons with his team. Similar to Nicks at Adelaide (who should have played finals last year)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back