Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I've spent the majority of Simmo's career wanting him to move on but have never disliked him as a person. He has a quintessential gen x personality that is frustrating when things are going poorly and endearing when they are going well. It's an I'm too cool to take anything too seriously/being too sincere is cringe and I'm going to deflect anything you say to me with a self deprecating quip before I even know why I've done it. It's literally the personality type of more than half of this board and it's annoying as *. But we're also the best generation so what are you going to do?

Anyway, I've gone full Stockholm syndrome now and I think he's become endearing even when we are going badly. Or maybe he has matured and we are seeing a more open and sincere side of his personality. Or maybe I just have a sense that we don't actually suck anymore so that means things are actually going well so he's not annoying me.

Any way you cut it though there is a genuine buzz about the club now regardless of what's happened in the past, so he's unlikely to get the boot this year. And we are absolutely playing finals next year so it'll be difficult not to renew him when that happens. So I pretty much figure he's riding this wave until we're going well enough to criticise him for not winning more premierships with this awesome team we have again. That being the case, I don't have the energy to hold a grudge for the credits in the bank era when I think he was genuinely being a bad coach, and I'm just going to enjoy the * out of having Gov and Yeo back and Harley and the Harlettes growing into our next elite outfit.

Yesterday at half time he said he's gonna keep the guys doing what they're doing until they get good at it.

Think that's a good idea, rather than changing everything every 5 mins.

Not opposed to chucking certain players in different positions every now n then to shake things up though.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

The decision on his future will be based on our performances between now and the end of the year. I doubt a lot of weight will be placed on what happened in 2022/23 simply because of the impact injuries had on results

So he doesn’t get an extension, or even a continuation in 2025, based on yesterday’s result. But that and the Sydney game are a tick on the keep side of the ledger

If he gets enough ticks over the course of the year he’ll still be coach next year. If he doesn’t then I think the club will move him on and find a new coach for 2025 and beyond

I dont think we should continue with Simpson. His tenure after twelve years or more just seems too long.

I would need to see a lot of green shoots to extend beyond 2025.

And naturally is the right time to shake hands and wish him all the best.

Yeah I have, and I can't really see any posts saying "winning this game justifies his tenure".

I can only see posts saying if we keep improving he might save his job.

Perhaps I've missed them and you can point them out to me.

Sure mate.

The decision on his future will be based on our performances between now and the end of the year. I doubt a lot of weight will be placed on what happened in 2022/23 simply because of the impact injuries had on results

So he doesn’t get an extension, or even a continuation in 2025, based on yesterday’s result. But that and the Sydney game are a tick on the keep side of the ledger

If he gets enough ticks over the course of the year he’ll still be coach next year. If he doesn’t then I think the club will move him on and find a new coach for 2025 and beyond

Yes I agree with those comments but others commenting about crickets and how silent it is in here after the win is just laughable as if 1 win against Richmond changes the whole discussion.

He has a quintessential gen x personality that is frustrating when things are going poorly and endearing when they are going well. It's an I'm too cool to take anything too seriously/being too sincere is cringe and I'm going to deflect anything you say to me with a self deprecating quip before I even know why I've done it. It's literally the personality type of more than half of this board and it's annoying as *.

I'd take this personally but I'm still learning how to read.

Really good steps being taken and Simmo has to get due credit for that. We are right at the start of a rebuild so their will be ups and downs.
Really liked the hunting in packs today and outnumbering the opposition at contests. It's a sign of doing the hard work.
Two weeks heading in the right direction, there will still be bad weeks but it's now that we can see some type of pattern emerging.

With due respect, too early so see a changing pattern given the last 3 years and keeping in mind the tiggers KPF was that household name Mykelti Lefau and they have 1 win.

Even last year in the eerily similar GWS game, if you ignored the GWS outs, our pattern looked alright with an under a goal loss away to the Roos then a win. Thereafter, even Car Crash TV declined to show our games due the horrific nature of the viewing.

A fit Yeo and Gov/Barrass combo is critical to us being competitive.

Don't get embarrassed by Freo and maybe, just maybe, we have a pattern.

I dont think we should continue with Simpson. His tenure after twelve years or more just seems too long.

I would need to see a lot of green shoots to extend beyond 2025.

And naturally is the right time to shake hands and wish him all the best.

I wasn’t talking about continuing past 2025 but referring to whether we retain him for 2025

It’s highly unlikely he coaches us in 2026 as we’d need to be on a clear upward trajectory for that to happen. And by that I mean climbing out of the bottom 4 in 2025 at a minimum

For him to continue in 2025 we need to show enough signs this year that such an improvement is possible. If not it’ll be time to rip the Band-Aid off and find someone new at the end of the year

With due respect, too early so see a changing pattern given the last 3 years and keeping in mind the tiggers KPF was that household name Mykelti Lefau and they have 1 win.

Even last year in the eerily similar GWS game, if you ignored the GWS outs, our pattern looked alright with an under a goal loss away to the Roos then a win. Thereafter, even Car Crash TV declined to show our games due the horrific nature of the viewing.

A fit Yeo and Gov/Barrass combo is critical to us being competitive.

Don't get embarrassed by Freo and maybe, just maybe, we have a pattern.

Was probs referring to seeing things I have not seen for 3-4 years like outnumbering our opponents at the contest and two way hard running. So maybe thats more of a work ethic thing more so than a pattern.

Dean Cox will be coaching the Eagles or the Swans in 2026. The decision will be made by John Longmire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great reply.
How about pointing out of one your posts that said 1 game/win justifies continuing on with him?

Then again, you were one of the people melting because Gaff was named on the expended bench so anything's possible I guess.
I think you are confused.
I never said 1 win justifies continuing on with him.

If you cant read posts above that were directed towards those against simmo I can't help you.

Cheers

People were posting they wanted him sacked before quarter time.

Those people went strangely quiet after halftime.

Lol ok.
I think the performance before we started kicking goals would justify the comments don't you?

I mean Richmond 4 goals 3 to 1 behind sort of is a really bad position yeah?

Lol ok.
I think the performance before we started kicking goals would justify the comments don't you?

That's a Richmond game plan ploy though.
Go in hard and fast to rattle the opposition.
Unfortunately they don't have the fitness and manpower to carry it through and you just have to weather the storm.
Not the first time they have done it this year and Simmo would have prepared the team .

Last edited:
Lol ok.

LOL

Being 4 goals down after 20 minutes doesn't justify the comments.
Knee jerk reaction comments after 20 minutes.

Some people just love to melt I guess.
I hope to Christ Gaff's not on the extended bench again this week so you don't have to melt.

Interesting article with Jeff Browne - doing what all Collingwood presidents do (it's in their job description)

There are a number of things that should be exactly what our bitch with the AFL is and hence a need to use our membership might and our financial strength. What for? The biggest issue for the AFL is an impossible problem - how to eliminate 2 to 3 teams from Melbourne yet still keeping the interest in the game. The bottom line is that the powerful clubs are propping up some minnows.

Saints, Norf, Melbourne and Doggies have all been less that financially viable in the last decade. They draw crap crowds and limit what the big clubs can spend. Port have been at the beggar bowl but look to have turned that corner.

He is saying
1. The draft is broken
2. Charity clubs are holding back the big clubs
3. The idea of bottoming out stinks
4. Big clubs should lean harder on the vAFL
5. The minimum payment from the AFL should be the salary cap - paid to every club (bigger market but the NFL pay each club their $200 mln plus salary cap and the gate takings and merchandise all goes to the club)

Here is the article

Collingwood president Jeff Browne has declared his club plans to defy gravity and stay in premiership contention mode by aggressively poaching star players from rival clubs.

The Pies are understood to be a leading contender to prise Western Bulldogs’ midfielder Bailey Smith out of Whitten Oval at the end of the season.

Their 2023 flag was built off the back of shrewd trades to secure Tom Mitchell, Dan McStay, Bobby Hill and Billy Frampton and last year they added gun small forward Lachie Schultz.

“We don’t intend to go to the bottom of the ladder, so we can never really rely on the draft,” Browne told this masthead.

“We have got to trade, like we did last year with those four players (Mitchell, McStay, Hill and Frampton) and then we pick up Oleg Markov, and this year we get Lachie Schultz.

“We have to trade to improve our side. For successful clubs who don’t want to drop down to the bottom, the draft doesn’t really work for them.”

Smith, 23, appears certain to depart Whitten Oval. He is business partners with Magpie stars Nick and Josh Daicos and was constantly spotted with them over summer.

It’s understood Collingwood has privately told its players to ease up on their public outings with Smith to douse media speculation they would be playing side-by-side next season.

The Magpies have nine players on the wrong side of 30 including Scott Pendlebury, Steele Sidebottom and Mitchell. The looming retirements in coming seasons will free up millions of dollars in a salary cap that is also growing annually.

Trading for Smith would help immediately regenerate their midfield alongside emerging onballer Finlay Macrae.

It would be an ideal fit for Smith – who boasts 334,000 Instagram followers as one of the AFL’s most marketable players – to land at a powerhouse club in the premiership window.

It’s understood Schultz had as many as six potential homes last season, but chose the reigning premiers, who remain a destination club of choice. The Magpies parted with their first-round pick in this year’s draft as part of the trade for Schultz.

Browne also floated the idea of introducing an “outperformance bonus” for clubs who “contribute in an unbudgeted way to the financial health of the competition”.

The Magpies helped drive record TV ratings and attendances on their way to last year’s premiership and Browne wants a clip of the revenue they are delivering for the game.

They played nine games in front of more than 80,000 fans at the MCG and attracted 78,933 to their home game against Sydney this season.

Another bumper crowd is expected for Saturday’s heavyweight clash against Port Adelaide.

“In my capacity as president of Collingwood, I’m also going to call on the AFL to outline a process where the minimum base distribution for clubs equals the minimum spend under the TPP (salary cap),” Browne said.

“If they make us spend around $16 million on player salaries, they’ve got to give us $16 million by way of a base distribution, because they tell us we’ve got to spend that.

“It happens in the NRL. Last year the base distribution was just over $10 million.

“Collingwood only received the base distribution, we didn’t get anymore, and the majority of other clubs received an additional variable distribution, where the AFL tops them up.

“That is necessary in cases where clubs need additional funding for a variety of reasons, particularly those in developing geographies, and I don’t suggest that all clubs should get the same.

“But I reckon Collingwood contributed way more than one eighteenth to the value of the AFL competition last year because of our performances, our coach, our captain and the drawing power of our club.

“The AFL tells us you have to pay that, and the game is in great shape in terms of its revenues from its broadcast deals and sponsorships and the money it can make out of the newly renovated Marvel Stadium,” Browne said. “It has to pay to the clubs at least the amount that the AFL requires the clubs to spend on players.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back