List Mgmt. Adelaide Crows 2021 List Management thread

Will the Crows pick up any of these players in the off-season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Sloane will pick up where he left off. Sounds like he's done plenty and will be niggle free. Just find it weird he'll have to pass a fitness test of ours to return from a detached retina after surgeon sign off. How do you fitness test a retina recovery?
Ophthalmologists probably wouldn't make you undergo bumping and body contact before ticking off the "healed" box.

How is it that AFC is not in the top handful of clubs with salary cap space? Article says NM, Hawks and Bombers.

How many of our B and C grade players must be getting A grade salaries?

Our most senior players are on their biggest salaries plus we've got Gibbs final year to pay. Pretty sure it's been said by Roo that 2021 was maxed and it clears next year.

Mostly I'm going by everything he's ever said and done.

Both Hodge and Mitchell said the same thing at Hawthorn. Makes sense to me. NVB spent a few years at the Eagles, now he's back coaching here. How many times have posters bitched about no fresh ideas, when we apoint our retiring players, straight into a coaching with our club?

Our most senior players are on their biggest salaries plus we've got Gibbs final year to pay. Pretty sure it's been said by Roo that 2021 was maxed and it clears next year.

Agreed, I think people under estimated the salaries for Walker, Sloane and Lynch plus others who we have moved on.

Mostly I'm going by everything he's ever said and done.

I'm certain if we decided to part ways with Tex at the end of the year, and another club wanted him, he'd go.

It's not in doubt if we wanted him to be here in '22 though.

With the new "you can't match in the first round" rubbish coming in OR the "make sure the Bulldogs get a benefit before we change it" rule ... what's the bet that a non-Vic team is the biggest loser on it's first outing? Odds on it will be us. Why not, we lost gibbs to the "these games don't count - for this year only" rule on FS, first team to lose it's #1 pick after finishing last ... first team to lose a player to the "you can't match" rule.

Who wants to bet that they don't change it back sometime in the near future? Maybe when it looks like hurting the Dogs, Hawks or Geelong perhaps?

Will make our upcoming premiership in 2027 all the more impressive.

With the new "you can't match in the first round" rubbish coming in OR the "make sure the Bulldogs get a benefit before we change it" rule ... what's the bet that a non-Vic team is the biggest loser on it's first outing? Odds on it will be us. Why not, we lost gibbs to the "these games don't count - for this year only" rule on FS, first team to lose it's #1 pick after finishing last ... first team to lose a player to the "you can't match" rule.

Who wants to bet that they don't change it back sometime in the near future? Maybe when it looks like hurting the Dogs, Hawks or Geelong perhaps?

You couldn't get two bigger differences in FA trades with Geelong than what happened with Dangerfield and what GWS got for Cameron

I'm certain if we decided to part ways with Tex at the end of the year, and another club wanted him, he'd go.

It's not in doubt if we wanted him to be here in '22 though.
There is zero chance that either Tex or Adelaide wants this to happen. Tex will retire as a single club player.

That's one way to look at it, a better way is that we were frequently losing out to others getting a better deal, yes, we might be about to miss out on one good player but the offset is that we have fair access to way more players over the next n amount of years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My apologies if this has been covered before but can anyone explain to me why Alex Keath is not on our list this year? I read where he was apparently keen to stay but (presumably) wanted a 3-year contract instead of 2.
Given that we plucked him out of obscurity, put two full years into preparing him before getting one very good year out of him, why on earth would we let him go!? It's not as though we're flush for KPPs.
Bewildering.

My apologies if this has been covered before but can anyone explain to me why Alex Keath is not on our list this year? I read where he was apparently keen to stay but (presumably) wanted a 3-year contract instead of 2.
Given that we plucked him out of obscurity, put two full years into preparing him before getting one very good year out of him, why on earth would we let him go!? It's not as though we're flush for KPPs.
Bewildering.
Our list management has been atrocious last few years, I mean when you really think about it on how Keath and Greenwood alone still could've been with us is depressing. You need those experienced players around and I don't think those two alone would have been delaying our rebuild but rather accelerating it. I now even wish the club payed Lever what he wanted, we don't have a defender of his quality on our list as I see Butts more of a Talia clone which isn't bad but who else is there apart from Butts?

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our list management has been atrocious last few years, I mean when you really think about it on how Keath and Greenwood alone still could've been with us is depressing. You need those experienced players around and I don't think those two alone would have been delaying our rebuild but rather accelerating it. I now even wish the club payed Lever what he wanted, we don't have a defender of his quality on our list as I see Butts more of a Talia clone which isn't bad but who else is there apart from Butts?

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Keath was 100% the correct call to trade when we did. 27 years old, 1 good season, wanted a payday and we were entering a rebuild with pretty minimal youth stocks. It's as cut and dry as it gets to send Alex to market and bank the picks for it. We didn't do a great job at the trade table with it, though not as badly as Greenwood as at least we got a second-round pick for Alex (and I think we dealt that to move up to get Brayden Cook). We also got Gollant from it, though I think that part was a downgraded pick. Still, it depends on who you draft if they'd delay a rebuild or not more so than keeping the senior player. If Cook and Gollant become solid contributors (if not more), then keeping Keath would have delayed it. Kids are truly the only thing that matters when it comes to a rebuild.

That said, we're pretty flush with KPD prospects, as much as we're married to a dumb 1-tall structure, but being married to ridiculous KP structures is truly a character trait of this club right now. Worrell will be a jet with careful development (ok, he'd probably end up a jet within about a month if we played him seeing he has a decently advanced intercept game and we're a bottom four side, which would artificially inflate his impact), though he'd replace a good chunk of what Keath produced pretty quickly. McAsey looks like a solid prospect but probably doesn't have the superstar ceiling, but another shutdown defender in the Butts/Talia mould. Borlase and Murray are both ok prospects, who'll likely have a career in the right situations.

It's certainly the area of least concern at the moment.

I also completely disagree with the list management comment. It's been pretty spot on for the early parts of a rebuild. We've aggressively burned down our list and restocked it with a lot of youth which is really the main thing for this stage.

Last edited:
Keath was 100% the correct call to trade when we did. 27 years old, 1 good season, wanted a payday and we were entering a rebuild with pretty minimal youth stocks. It's as cut and dry as it gets to send Alex to market and bank the picks for it. We didn't do a great job at the trade table with it, though not as badly as Greenwood as at least we got a second-round pick for Alex (and I think we dealt that to move up to get Brayden Cook). We also got Gollant from it, though I think that part was a downgraded pick. Still, it depends on who you draft if they'd delay a rebuild or not more so than keeping the senior player. If Cook and Gollant become solid contributors (if not more), then keeping Keath would have delayed it. Kids are truly the only thing that matters when it comes to a rebuild.

That said, we're pretty flush with KPD prospects, as much as we're married to a dumb 1-tall structure, but being married to ridiculous KP structures is truly a character trait of this club right now. Worrell will be a jet with careful development (ok, he'd probably end up a jet within about a month if we played him seeing he has a decently advanced intercept game and we're a bottom four side, which would artificially inflate his impact), though he'd replace a good chunk of what Keath produced pretty quickly. McAsey looks like a solid prospect but probably doesn't have the superstar ceiling, but another shutdown defender in the Butts/Talia mould. Borlase and Murray are both ok prospects, who'll likely have a career in the right situations.

It's certainly the area of least concern at the moment.

I also completely disagree with the list management comment. It's been pretty spot on for the early parts of a rebuild. We've aggressively burned down our list and restocked it with a lot of youth which is really the main thing for this stage.
I suppose you are right about Keath but time will tell if Cook and Gollant can be contributors for us in the next few years. We definitely need to draft more KPDs because as you said it is not the best at the moment and hope you are right with Worrell, seems to have the potential and looking at McAseys highlights i think he can turn into a star defender for us but just needs to be given the opportunity and build his confidence. Well time will tell on our list management, yes we have burned down our list but i just think some that they let go were the wrong choices. And yeah i do not deny we have restocked with a lot of youth but do you seriously have confidence just yet that some of them will make it? i have doubts on some but i suppose time will tell and i would be more than happy to be proven wrong.

Just my two cents worth with respects to the progress of our rebuild/recruiting, etc.

IMO, in terms of judging our rebuild, we really have only two national drafts to judge, 2019 and 2020. These are the first two drafts post-season 2019 (a year in which we were still basically selecting the core of our 2017 Grand Final team, striving till the very last round to play finals, and demoralizingly underperforming). We cut savagely hard at the end of '19 (Betts/Douglas/Cam EY/Greenwood/Sauce/Jenkins/Keath/Otten) and thus began this journey (with a debutant coach to boot).

So, let's go through the 'rebuild recruits'.

2019 #6 - McAsey
2019 #24 - Schoenberg
2019 #28 - Worrell
2019 #42 - O'Connor
2019 #48 - Gollant
2020 #2 - Thilthorpe
2020 #11 - Pedlar
2020 #25 - Cook
2020 #28 - Berry
2020 #38 - Rowe

At this early stage, I'm not putting a line through any of these guys. It's just far too soon, especially after zero SANFL footy last year for the 2019 recruits. Of course, there are concerns (McAsey seems to be developing slowly), but there also a couple that look like being genuinely good-to-great AFL players (Schoenberg, Thilthorpe & Berry the standouts at this stage). Stay positive guys. In terms of this rebuild, we have barely got out of bed yet. It's far too soon to be either calling it a success or failure like some are already choosing to do. This time next year, we'll have a clearer picture, especially on McAsey/Worrell/O'Connor/Gollant.

Note-: Some may argue that our 2018 national draftees (Jones/McHenry/Hamill/Sholl) are part of the rebuild as well. Yes, they are, of course. All of our young players are, but they were not drafted (at the time) with a full rebuild in mind. They were drafted in 2018, prior to a 2019 season were we were still clearly aiming to play finals. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the only best-22 player in 2018 that departed was McGovern. There were no savage cuts at the end of '18 to our best-22, as per the end of 2019.

Other players recruited since the end-of-2019 rebuild began...

Frampton (via Trade)
Keays (rookie draft)
Hately (pre-season draft)
Hinge (delisted free agent)
Borlase (Next Gen Cat B rookie)
Newchurch (Next Gen Cat B rookie)
Murray (supplementary player period rookie)

Barely lasted a minute...

Crocker (rookie draft/delisted)
Taylor (supplementray player period rookie/delisted)

Just my two cents worth with respects to the progress of our rebuild/recruiting, etc.

IMO, in terms of judging our rebuild, we really have only two national drafts to judge, 2019 and 2020. These are the first two drafts post-season 2019 (a year in which we were still basically selecting the core of our 2017 Grand Final team, striving till the very last round to play finals, and demoralizingly underperforming). We cut savagely hard at the end of '19 (Betts/Douglas/Cam EY/Greenwood/Sauce/Jenkins/Keath/Otten) and thus began this journey (with a debutant coach to boot).

2019 #6 - McAsey
2019 #24 - Schoenberg
2019 #28 - Worrell
2019 #42 - O'Connor
2019 #48 - Gollant
2020 #2 - Thilthorpe
2020 #11 - Pedlar
2020 #25 - Cook
2020 #28 - Berry
2020 #38 - Rowe

At this early stage, I'm not putting a line through any of these guys. It's just far too soon, especially after zero SANFL footy last year for the 2019 recruits. Of course, there are concerns (McAsey seems to be developing slowly), but there also a couple that look like being genuinely good-to-great AFL players (Schoenberg, Thilthorpe & Berry the standouts at this stage). Stay positive guys. In terms of this rebuild, we have barely got out of bed yet. It's far too soon to be either calling it a success or failure like some are already choosing to do. This time next year, we'll have a clearer picture, especially on McAsey/Worrell/O'Connor/Gollant.

Note-: Some may argue that our 2018 national draftees (Jones/McHenry/Hamill/Sholl) are part of the rebuild as well. Yes, they are, of course. All of our young players are, but they were not drafted (at the time) with a full rebuild in mind. They were drafted in 2018, prior to a 2019 season were we were still clearly aiming to play finals. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the only best-22 player in 2018 that departed was McGovern. There were no savage cuts at the end of '18 to our best-22, as per the end of 2019.

Frampton (via Trade)
Keays (rookie draft)

You do make very good points, i think what makes this tough for most is we have never experienced a full blown rebuild like this one before but you are right need to have faith. I think another 2 quality years of drafting will do this group wonders and if players like you mentioned in McAsey, Worrell, O'Connor and Gollant can come on will be very beneficial plus you forgot to add Sholl as another standout player and Butts so there definitely is the makings of a good side there but with more support to be added in the next couple of drafts will help. I just want by the end of the year for more promising players to emerge, more that you can feel confident can turn things around when ready.

I suppose you are right about Keath but time will tell if Cook and Gollant can be contributors for us in the next few years. We definitely need to draft more KPDs because as you said it is not the best at the moment and hope you are right with Worrell, seems to have the potential and looking at McAseys highlights i think he can turn into a star defender for us but just needs to be given the opportunity and build his confidence. Well time will tell on our list management, yes we have burned down our list but i just think some that they let go were the wrong choices. And yeah i do not deny we have restocked with a lot of youth but do you seriously have confidence just yet that some of them will make it? i have doubts on some but i suppose time will tell and i would be more than happy to be proven wrong.
"i just think some that they let go were the wrong choices."

Which of these guys would you have kept?

Greenwood (3-5 year deal on ca. $600-700k)
CEY - can't get a game for the lions
Betts
Jenkins
Douglas
Gibbs
Atkins
McGovern
Brad Crouch (5 year deal)

"i just think some that they let go were the wrong choices."

Which of these guys would you have kept?

Greenwood (3-5 year deal on ca. $600-700k)
CEY - can't get a game for the lions
Betts
Jenkins
Douglas
Gibbs
Atkins
McGovern
Brad Crouch (5 year deal)
I think i definitely would have kept Greenwood and Crouch, it just would have been handy to have some experienced midfielders to mentor our young kids thats all i am saying. I know a lot of the others you mentioned were finished and not good enough but you also forgot to add Keath and Lever to the mix who could have been handy now. I am not saying these guys would make a difference if they were still with us but having that experience could have helped our young guys more.

2019 #6 - McAsey
2019 #24 - Schoenberg
2019 #28 - Worrell
2019 #42 - O'Connor
2019 #48 - Gollant
2020 #2 - Thilthorpe
2020 #11 - Pedlar
2020 #25 - Cook
2020 #28 - Berry
2020 #38 - Rowe

Frampton (via Trade)
Keays (rookie draft)

Interesting that Crocker is on fire in the VFL for Carlton's VFL team and there's talk they are looking at him for the mid season draft having kicked 16 goals in his 4 VFL games thus far.

Back