14 . Rhys Mathieson - $414,000 ( 1 )
15 . Liam McBean - $242,000 ( 1 )
16 . Hugh McCluggage - $480,000 ( 2 )
17 . Clayton Oliver - $414,000 ( 1 )
18 . Jack Payne - $80,000 ( 1 ) - KPD
19 . Lachlan Plowman - $130,000 ( 1 )
• Esava Ratugolea - $85,000 ( 0 ) - KPF
20 . Ed Richards - $160,000 ( 1 )
21 . Nicholas Robertson - $175,000 ( 1 )
22 . Brandon Starcevich - $100,000 ( 1 )
• Lachlan Tiziani - $85,000 ( 0 )
23 . Jimmy Toumpas - $719,000 ( 2 )
• Jacob Townsend - $198,000 ( 0 )
24 . Adam Treloar - $878,000 ( 2 )
25 . Daniel Venables - $480,000 ( 2 )
Sharrod Wellingham - $356,000 ( 0 ) - delisted
26 . Alex Witherden - $480,000 ( 2 )
Veterans
• Cameron Pedersen - $0 ( 0 ) - KPF
• Brendan Whitecross - $120,000 ( 0 )

Unpassable Draft Picks

27 . Draft Pick 3 - $135,000 ( 2 )
28 . Draft Pick 19 - $108,000 ( 2 )
29 . Draft Pick 23 - $108,000 ( 2 )
Passable Draft Picks
30 . Draft Pick 39 - $96,000 ( 2 )
31 . Draft Pick 55 - $96,000 ( 2 )
32 . Draft Pick 71 - $96,000 ( 2 )
33 . Draft Pick 87 - $96,000 ( 2 )
34 . Draft Pick 103 - $96,000 ( 2 )
35 . Draft Pick 119 - $96,000 ( 2 )
Long Term Injury List
Rookie List
Delistments

TPP: $ 9,620,000

Last edited:
The ADELAIDE LIONS have continued their lean towards youth by delisting former star defender Sharrod Wellingham and goalsneak Josh Hill ahead of next month's crucial AFLTM Draft.

Wellingham fell out of favour this season and made no appearances for the Lions.

Hill, 29, enjoyed a career-best season in 2015, booting 40 goals as a crumbing small forward feasting at Joe Daniher's feet.

However, his output dwindled to 24 majors from 22 games in 2016, and he managed only 16 goals in 12 appearances in 2017. He was not selected for any senior games in 2018.

"I would like to thank each of the players for their efforts and contributions to the football club over varying periods of time," football manager Paul Roos said.

"This is a tough time of the year when difficult decisions are made and I would particularly like to acknowledge both Sharrod and Josh.

"They are senior players who have had a significant impact at the club over their time."

Several other players are out of contract at the Lions and a meeting of Adelaide's list management team later this week will make calls on a number of other fringe players, as the Lions look to add quality and depth to their senior list.

Last edited:

The Adelaide Lions have moved to address some definiciencies in their 2018 list by trading in ruckman Rhys Stanley, small forward / midfielder Kayne Turner from Geelong, as well as Key position forward Sam Day and utility Daniel McKenzie from Ballarat in return for Picks 23 and 55.

200 cm, 100 kg 27 year old Rhys Stanley fills a vital need for the Adelaide Lions and looks set to line up in the number one ruck position next season for the Lions, or depending on whatelse the Lions can pick up viathe trade / draft period may line up in the forward line.

26 year old Sam Day is a 197 cm forward who the Lions are counting on having a relatively injury free 2019 season and who if he can stay on the park will add considerable firepower to the Lions' forward stocks in the coming seasons.

Kayne Turner is an inside midfielder who at 180cm and 67kg can also play as a small forward or defender if required. At only 22 years of age, Turner has signed a 2 year contract with the Lions.

22 year old Daniel McKenzie is capable of playing up the ground, the left-footer has thrived in defence where his pace and endurance are on show when rebounding out of the backline.

Exiting the Adelaide Lions will be key defender Tom Barrass.

The Lions have also traded their Draft Pick 3 and Pick 19 to the newly named Tasmania Magpies in return for for Pick 10, Pick 11, Pick 18 and Pick 41. This gives them three picks inside the first round in what is widely touted by draft pundits as a 'superdraft'.

Northern Territory speedster Zac Bailey has been traded by West Coast to the Adelaide Lions on a three year contract tying him to the Lions until at least the end of 2021.

Bailey, taken with West Coast's 13th pick at the 2017 AFLTM Draft (straight after Adelaide's own selection of Jarrod Brander) has played 10 senior matches in his inaugural season

Bailey said his first season of AFL has been an incredible experience and is excited by what the future holds at the Lions.

“It’s been unreal,” he told adelaidelions.com.au.

“It’s really exciting. It’s a pretty bright future for the Club so that’s something I want to be a part of,” Bailey said.

General Manager of Football Paul Roos said Bailey had demonstrated great potential to coaching staff.

“We are extremely excited to add Zac to the our existing list of players, along with Day, Turner, Stanley and McKenzie." Roos said

"Zac has shown great signs in both the forward line and in the midfield and is a young man with lots of character that continues to look at improving all the time."

"We're also pleased to move up in the draft order by acquiring Pick 7, which will enable us to acquire another quality player to add to our ever improving list."

The Adelaide Lions are pleased to announce they have added midfielder George Hewett and defender Jackson Thurlow to their 2019 list, as well as Pick 64.

Thurlow a first round pick in 2012 has been straved of opportunities and will prove a handy replacement for Tom Barrass.

"We're pleased to be able to secure the trade with the Reds to bring Jackson to Adelaide," Lions head of football Paul Roos said.

"At 24 years old we think Jackson has a lot of good football ahead of him and will be a great addition to our defensive group.

"A former first-round draft pick, Jackson’s a great kick, he’s quick and damaging off a half-back-flank and on the wing and he’s a great character and we look forward to welcoming him to Adelaide."

The Lions were also rapt to obtain the service of Hewett.

The 22-year-old South Australian midfielder broke into the Reds' senior side in the opening round of 2016 and since then Hewett has missed just two games, being dropped once early in his first season and missing another through concussion.

Hewett was pressed into service primarily as a forward, rather than being utilised in the midfield where he was more used to playing.

He kicked 18 goals in his first season, which ended with a grand final appearance, and got his chance to log plenty of midfield minutes the following year.

Roos, the Lions' head of football doesn't dispense praise easily, but was happy to laud Hewett's contribution to his old side, saying he delivered good, consistent footy every week.

"He's hard, he's a quality midfielder, he's quite big for a midfielder too, so he's able to get in and use his size to advantage, and he's a very efficient and effective forward."

A diplomatic Hewett, whose family live on a farm around two hours' drive, north-west of Adelaide, said he was interested in the Adelaide Lions while growing up and was stoked to be back in South Australia.

In return the Adelaide Lions have traded defender Darcy Byrne Jones, Liam McBean and Ryan Bastinac + Pick 37 to the Northern Reds. The club thanks all departing players for their contributions.

The Adelaide Lions have drafted tall defender Ben King with Pick 7 in the AFLTM National Draft

Not only is King exceptionally tall at 202cm, he's also brilliantly athletic. He ran the 20-metre sprint in 2.97 seconds at the AFL Draft Combine, and like his brother, he is excellent at ground level.

When playing forward, that means if he doesn't grab the ball in the air he's still a threat at ground level, and it was often the case this season that King would beat his opponent to the ball after a marking contest, break a tackle and then snap a goal. He averaged three goals a game at the championships, including five against Western Australia and four against South Australia. He uses his height and athleticism superbly, but if he could get his contested marking to the same level he'd be very difficult to stop.

King's capacity to play at both ends of the ground made him a very appealing prospect for Adelaide who were searching for a talented tall. His recovery on the ground plus his reach in the air means he will equip himself well at senior level.

Last edited:
The Adelaide Lions have drafted midfielder Rhylee West with Pick 18 in the AFLTM National Draft

West was a standout inside midfielder with the Calder Cannons and Vic Metro this season and is renowned for his ability to win contested possession and apply pressure to the opposition.

An AFL Academy Member in 2018, he averaged 22 disposals (50 percent contested), five clearances and four tackles throughout the Under 18 Championships earning him All Australian honours..

"His competitive and aggressive approach, together with his elite agility and power, are features of his play which allows him to get to multiple contests." said Paul Roos, the Lions' Head of Football

“It’s a big thrill for us to welcome Rhylee to the Club.

“Rhylee’s ability to find the footy and his tackling and pressure around the contest are some of his greatest strengths.

“While he is elite with his stoppage work, he is also creative when he has the footy and has the vision to think beyond the contest.

“He has a hard edge, is extremely competitive, and has an impressive vertical leap. We can’t wait to see what he can produce for the Lions.”

Last edited:
The Adelaide Lions have used their third selection (No. 39 overall) in the 2018 national draft to recruit Oakleigh Chargers midfielder, Jack Ross.

Jack first displayed his talents as captain of the Vic Metro U16 side in 2016. This year he displayed strong form in the midfield with Oakleigh and won their Best and Fairest, despite only playing 12 games, averaging 22 possessions and 5 clearances a game. He is a big-bodied midfielder who excels in and around the ball. He has great composure with ball in hand and is one of the better handballers in this year’s draft. He tested very well for speed at the State Combine and uses it to break away from stoppage.

"We are very happy with the addition of Jack to our midfield group. He is a fantastic size for an inside midfielder, has football smarts, skill and leadership. His ability to play a multitude of roles through the midfield helps, and he is more readymade than most to stand up against senior bodies." said Lions football manager Paul Roos.

Last edited:
Greater Western Victoria Rebels’ Tom Berry will play at the Adelaide Lions for the next two seasons.

The Horsham youngster was picked up with selection 41 in the third round of the AFLTM national draft.

Berry was the only player from the Rebels to attend the national combine in preparation for the draft.

The Adelaide Lions head of football Paul Roos stated:

"Tom has got a lot of attributes similar to his brother Jarrod: fantastic work ethic, really competitive, great team player and athletic. His agility and acceleration is elite, and he can play down back or up forward, but he is best suited to the inside midfield role. He has that breakaway speed that would see him burst out of a stoppage and leave his opponents behind which is always something fans love to see. He Had quite a few injuries in his draft year so struggled with continuity, but can play a variety of roles.”

Last edited:
The Adelaide Lions have selected Jarrod Cameron with their fifth selection at Pick 64.

The brother of Melbourne’s Charlie, Cameron is an identical small forward with equally high footy nous and goal sense inside 50. He is further progressed than his brother was at the same age, and has improved at a rapid rate this season. His five-goal performance against Vic Country at GMHBA Stadium in the National Under 18 Championships put his name up in lights and he has not looked back, finishing the WAFL season in ripping form for Swan Districts, standing up in big games and continuing to deliver. While he is not a huge accumulator of the football, he knows how to hit the scoreboard and has a high impact per possession.

Last edited:
THe Adelaide Lions have secured fearless key forward Noah Gown from Gippsland Power with pick 72 in the 2018 AFLTM Draft.

A talented sportsman, the 18-year-old turned down the opportunity to head to the US on a basketball scholarship to pursue his AFL dream.

Gown's standout season in the TAC Cup saw him finish third in the league's goalkicking with 31 majors from 18 games, earning the Power's best and fairest.

His strengths also include contested marking and a knack of reading the drop of the ball, while he's never short on desire to chase and tackle.

Football Manager Paul Roos said Gown's "huge upside" was an attraction.

"He didn’t do a pre-season and has a basketball background, so I think with Noah, it (selection) was the fact that he really developed as the year went on," Roos said.

"He’s a really competitive player. Getting another tall forward with the capacity to go back was pretty enticing for us."

When the Adelaide Lions came knocking on Lincoln McCarthy’s door earlier this year, his first thought was to decline their proposal

After all, Wagga Wagga had stood by the perennially unlucky forward, by picking him up after he wa delisted by Geelong at the end of 2016 season before themselves delisting him at the end of the 2017 season.

To put it lightly, however, he wasn’t in the best headspace to make a decision then and there.

The time out of the game in 2018 had sparked some serious consideration to the outside world, and whether trying to continue his career was the right option.

McCarthy admitted that he grappled with the thought of giving away entirely in the past two years, and it was those thoughts that led him down the path of a change of scenery.

“I did think about giving the game up, especially this year. I just got a bit sick of it,” McCarthy said.

“Some days I wished I could move forward in a different occupation. I started to feel like I had become dead wood at Wagga Wagga at the end of 2017, and before that at Geelong, because I wasn’t able to get on the park. I had consistent thoughts of, ‘I can’t wait to work in construction or be a builder.’ It made me spend a lot of time thinking about what I was doing and whether playing was the right thing or not, so that is what led to my thinking of going elsewhere.”

In five years with Geelong (since being drafted at Pick 79 in the 2011 draft), McCarthy managed just over 20 games, and while he felt he owed the football club something for consistently standing by him, a fresh start seemed like the only way of allowing the 22-year-old to continue playing

He has endured a spate of injuries across his AFL journey, with issues in the past to his groin, hip, back, foot and quad being the most notable.

“After my body kept letting me down, I thought maybe it was time for a change and to experience a new part of the country,” McCarthy added.

The realisation that he would be moving on from Geelong and headig to Wagga was something McCarthy struggled to come to terms with initially. Then to be delisted by Wagga was gut wrenching.

His agreement to nominate for the draft, so the Lions could have a crack at him was decided upon due to three key factors.

The list at their disposal, the improving football they played in 2018 and their administration, with the likes of Paul Roos and the coach standing out in particular.

For the first time in a long time, McCarthy enters an off-season without requiring surgery, and while he isn’t firing on all cylinders just yet, the expectation is to join the younger Adelaide Lions group for training in the first week of pre-season and steadily build into the new year.

“Without going from zero to hero — it’s a very long pre-season — the most important thing for me is to gradually build.”

Since drafted at Pick 82 by the Lions, McCarthy’s phone has been buzzing like crazy with text messages, but he isn’t certain who all of them are coming from.

“I have received a lot of messages from people at the Lions and I do very much appreciate all the welcoming messages I have received.”

Player movement at this time of year can result in differing results for the parties involved. Some requests can leave a club dumbfounded, and others move on with their blessing.

In the case of Lincoln McCarthy, however, both McCarthy and the Lions were happy to agree to terms and give the 24 year old forward, a third crack at AFLTM level.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFLTM scribes writing for the Adelaide Lions website have come up with a Best 22 side for 2019, (assuming everyone remains fit and healthy)

B: Rory Laird - Harris Andrews - Jake Lever
HB: Michael Hibberd - Lachlan Plowman - Ed Richards
C: David Cuningham - Adam Treloar - Harry Cunningham
HF: Zak Jones - Ben King - Chris Masten
F: George Hewett - Sam Day - Daniel McKenzie
R: Rhys Stanley - Hugh McCluggage - Clayton Oliver
INT: Angus Brayshaw - Luke Dunstan - Jackson Thurlow - Andrew Brayshaw,

Others: Jacob Allison, Zac Bailey, Tom Berry, Jarrod Brander, Hamish Brayshaw, Jarrod Cameron, Tom Campbell, Noah Gown, Jack Leslie, Ryan Lester, Rhys Mathieson, Lincoln McCarthy, Jack Payne, Esava Ratugolea, Nicholas Robertson, Jack Ross, Sam Skinner (r), Brandon Starcevich, Jimmy Toumpas, Kayne Turner, Daniel Venables, Rhylee West, Alex Witherden,

KPFs: Sam Day, Jarrod Brander, Noah Gown, Esava Ratugolea, Ben King,
KPDs: Harris Andrews, Jake Lever, Lachlan Plowman, Jack Leslie, Jack Payne, Sam Skinner (r),
RCKS: Rhys Stanley, Tom Campbell,
MIDS: Adam Treloar, Hugh McCluggage, Clayton Oliver, Angus Brayshaw, Daniel Venables, Jack Ross,

Last edited:
Harris Andrews to captain Lions in 2019

Defender Harris Andrews will front a four-man leadership group with Adam Treloar as Vice-Captain. Ryan Lester will return to the group, with new addition Darcy Gardiner the final member.

Andrews said he was honoured to be officially instated as Captain by his teammates.

“I am really honoured to be Captain of the football Club, a Club with a great history,” he said.

“I am absolutely thrilled to lead this Club into the next chapter.”

Senior Coach Roy Lyon is proud of the 22-year-old’s appointment.

“He accepted this challenge with enthusiasm and his leadership and drive was a key factor in our performance improvement in the second half of the season.

“His teammates respect and enjoy his positive approach and passion for the Club.

“This is the primary reason he has been voted by the players and coaches to lead the team in 2019. Hopefully with our new list additions we can further improve our performance in 2019.”

Andrews is regarded as one of the best defenders in the competition.

“His ability to win the ball and attack the game on offence is undoubted,” Roy Lyon said.

“His willingness to apply pressure is how he inspires his teammates and why he was our obvious choice for Captain.”

2019 List

Adelaide Lions
Manager
Roylion
Senior List
1 . Jacob Allison - $480,000 ( 2 )
2 . Harris Andrews - $309,000 ( 1 ) Key Defender
3 . Zac Bailey - $500,000 ( 3 )
4 . Tom Berry - $96,000 ( 2 )
5 . Jarrod Brander - $115,000 ( 1 ) Key Forward
6 . Andrew Brayshaw - $313,000 ( 2 )
7 . Angus Brayshaw - $405,000 ( 3 )
8 . Hamish Brayshaw - $80,000 ( 1 )
9 . Jarrod Cameron - $96,000 ( 2 )
10 . David Cuningham - $414,000 ( 1 )
11 . Harry Cunningham - $182,000 ( 2 )
12 . Sam Day - $175,000 ( 1 ) Key Forward
13 . Luke Dunstan - $144,000 ( 1 )
14 . Noah Gown - $96,000 ( 2 ) Key Forward
15 . George Hewett - $454,000 ( 4 )
16 . Michael Hibberd - $360,000 ( 3 )
17 . Zak Jones - $315,000 ( 4 )
18 . Ben King - $135,000 ( 2 ) Key Forward
19 . Rory Laird - $562,000 ( 1 )
20 . Jack Leslie - $182,000 ( 2 ) Key Defender
21 . Ryan Lester - $145,000 ( 1 )
22 . Jake Lever - $360,000 ( 3 ) Key Defender
23 . Chris Masten - $145,000 ( 1 )
24 . Rhys Mathieson - $414,000 ( 1 )
25 . Lincoln McCarthy - $145,000 ( 1 )
26 . Hugh McCluggage - $480,000 ( 2 )
27 . Daniel McKenzie - $175,000 ( 1 )
28 . Clayton Oliver - $414,000 ( 1 )
29 . Jack Payne - $80,000 ( 1 ) Key Defender
30 . Lachlan Plowman - $130,000 ( 1 )
31 . Esava Ratugolea - $218,000 ( 3 ) Key Forward
32 . Ed Richards - $313,000 ( 2 )
33 . Nicholas Robertson - $175,000 ( 1 )
34 . Jack Ross - $96,000 ( 2 )
35 . Brandon Starcevich - $313,000 ( 2 )
36 . Rhys Stanley - $250,000 ( 2 ) Ruck
37 . Jackson Thurlow - $260,000 ( 3 )
38 . Jimmy Toumpas - $719,000 ( 2 )
39 . Adam Treloar - $878,000 ( 2 )
40 . Kayne Turner - $182,000 ( 2 )
41 . Daniel Venables - $480,000 ( 2 )
42 . Rhylee West - $108,000 ( 2 )
43 . Alex Witherden - $480,000 ( 2 )
Veterans
44 . Tom Campbell - $0 ( 1 ) Ruck
Rookie List
45 . Sam Skinner - $75,000 ( 1 ) Key Defender
Delistments

Last edited:
A long-term prospect to be sure, big Pat Kerr, with his overhead marking prowess and physical presence up front, has plenty to offer the club which has picked him as a late pre-season draft pick.

Kerr recovered from a serious shoulder injury in 2015 to play in the Chargers’ TAC Cup Grand Final victory over the Eastern Ranges. He was appointed Oakleigh vice-captain in 2016 and represented Vic Metro in the National Under-18 Championships, before being drafted by the Lions. His coach at Oakleigh; former Blue Mick Stinear, said he was confident that Kerr would play senior football. “He’s got a nice, strong and accurate kick on him, and he’s a hard man to stop when he’s on the lead and the ball is out in front,” he said.

“I’m really thankful to the Club for giving me the opportunity to start my AFLTM career. Being at the Adelaide Lions is an environment I want to be part of for the long-term, so I’m looking forward to seeing where the group can go under the coaching panel.” Kerr said.

“Those ruck-forward roles take time to develop and Tom is continuing to learn that craft, but with his continued application and hard work, we’re confident he’ll work towards earning a senior call-up soon." said Lions manager Roy Lion. “Pat is hungry to apply himself and possesses a real drive to learn. We hope he solidifies his spot in the side for years to come amongst the talented young list we have.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back