What the heck? Adelaide warm up during women's match

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide oval hosted a women match between SA and NT as a curtain raiser for the Crows match this week. Apparently several Crows players thought it would be perfectly acceptable if they entered the field and started their warm ups while the match was in progress.

At a time when the AFL is talking about starting up a AFL national women's league this seems more than a little disrespectful. Apparently they only trained when the play was on the other side of the field but I still don't think that's ok.

I'm a bit surprised this isn't in the mainstream media.

http://www.zerohanger.com/adelaide-...during-womens-match-5155/#ti0GKqcT2HgTC8mO.97

Adelaide oval hosted a women match between SA and NT as a curtain raiser for the Crows match this week. Apparently several Crows players thought it would be perfectly acceptable if they entered the field and started their warm ups while the match was in progress.

At a time when the AFL is talking about starting up a AFL national women's league this seems more than a little disrespectful. Apparently they only trained when the play was on the other side of the field but I still don't think that's ok.

I'm a bit surprised this isn't in the mainstream media.

http://www.zerohanger.com/adelaide-...during-womens-match-5155/#ti0GKqcT2HgTC8mO.97

I seriously doubt the players would've entered on to the ground without the OK from their coaching staff. Obviously the AFL opens itself up to these sorts of problems when it expects to merge a relatively new sport (for females) with a historically ancient sport (for men). It is never really going to work out, and the current media landscape will ensure the game becomes a political game first, and a sport second (if sport isn't already 3rd behind business). From my perspective, the only positive out of all this, is that in 20 years time when the AFL is sunken under, a break away league will be a realistic option. I long for that day. Just getting back to football, I don't care if players are running around solely for the $$$, so long as the emphasis is football, because the AFL is shifting away from that IMO. The irony of it is that the AFL has pimped the game out to business and arguably politics, but it will eventually be business that steers our game back on course.

I seriously doubt the players would've entered on to the ground without the OK from their coaching staff. Obviously the AFL opens itself up to these sorts of problems when it expects to merge a relatively new sport (for females) with a historically ancient sport (for men). It is never really going to work out, and the current media landscape will ensure the game becomes a political game first, and a sport second (if sport isn't already 3rd behind business). From my perspective, the only positive out of all this, is that in 20 years time when the AFL is sunken under, a break away league will be a realistic option. I long for that day. Just getting back to football, I don't care if players are running around solely for the $$$, so long as the emphasis is football, because the AFL is shifting away from that IMO. The irony of it is that the AFL has pimped the game out to business and arguably politics, but it will eventually be business that steers our game back on course.
Encouraging women to get fit and play a team sport is a political statement?

Ok then...

Oh and apparently an official eventually went down to the field and told the players to get off. Maybe they had permission from the coaches but if that's true they didn't have permission from the people in charge.

Don't think they need a fine or anything, general statement from the AFL to remind people to stay off the field of play would do.

Isn't a pitch invasion an automatic $5,000 fine and a life ban?

Would they have done it for a men or boys curtain raiser? Don't think so. What a disgraceful act.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah ok we'll life ban these players :rolleyes:

You were saying that they shouldn't do anything, not even a slap on the wrist. I was just pointing out what would happen if you or I were to go onto the ground for a bit of kick to kick while a game was playing. Why should players get a free pass when it's someone else's game they're interrupting.

They need to be fined and they need to be made an example of. Of course I wasn't suggesting a life ban - but your suggestion of do nothing it equally stupid.

I think everyone would agree with that. But we hardly need to get outraged about it either, calling it "disgraceful" and what not.
I do think it was extremely disrespectful. The inverse wouldn't have happened. In what world is it appropriate to warm up on the field during any active game at any level? Stick to the sidelines and go on the field during breaks.

I have seen it happen numerous times while a NEAFL game was being played before hand at Metricon. And there is Gold Coasts training ground right next door.

wouldn't expect anything less from an upstart franchise with no culture whatsoever in a non-footy state. SA though? pretty amateur.

I have seen it happen numerous times while a NEAFL game was being played before hand at Metricon. And there is Gold Coasts training ground right next door.

I've seen the seniors have a bit of a kick during the three quarter time break of a NEAFL game, but NEVER while the game is in progress. Big difference.

Ignoring the your bit about it being a mens sport...

But, absolutely plus 1 for a breakaway league. While AFL is entertaining, it should be a sport foremost. AFL headquarters don't give a damn about anything but revenue and don't deserve to run the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back