List Mgmt. AFC - 2014 Drafting and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? I thought he was playing some good footy this year.

He is playing great football this season, but is still unsigned which is odd for NMFC and we are so inside mid heavy its impeding development in a few. Look its just my opinion and he may well be signed, but we are in dire need of outside mids with good disposal. Wells coming back helps, but all our good footy users will have a cane next season.

Id be disappointed to see Pig go, but i cant see Swallow, Ziebell or Cunnington getting offed.

He is playing great football this season, but is still unsigned which is odd for NMFC and we are so inside mid heavy its impeding development in a few. Look its just my opinion and he may well be signed, but we are in dire need of outside mids with good disposal. Wells coming back helps, but all our good footy users will have a cane next season.

Id be disappointed to see Pig go, but i cant see Swallow, Ziebell or Cunnington getting offed.

I wonder if he's requested a trade back to the Peaaaarrr (Port Adelaide FC*)

* EST 1870

Million dollar question. As i said, very unlike NM to not have all players signed this late in the year, especially players that are having career years.

Should have decent currency id imagine.
Won't come to the crows I would assume. Agree with dayton, might go to the pear

Isnt everyone! lol

Thanks for answers mate.

I reckon we might try and trade Levi Greenwood at seasons end. Not sure if an inside mid is required at either SA clubs, but id presume he'd want to go back home if on the trade block.

Cheers

He's a good player but we've got an abundance of that type.

Some North players I'd be interested in (if the price is right):

McKenzie (we have a shortage of half back flankers who can kick)
Macmillan (see above, seems to have lost his way this season)
Cam Delaney

Cam Delaney

McKenzie has a good leg on him but cant find the football. Needs more development. Id trade him depending on the offer as we have enough HB types.
Macmillan broke his leg and has been out over 4 months(due to play VFL this week though) was playing great footy when it happened too. Not going anywhere.
Delaney is constantly injured. Could be a player though. Not going anywhere.

And he probably is worth an early 3rd round/late 2nd round pick on the open market. If he wants to go, I can't see a team offering us their 2nd round pick for a guy who hasn't been able to break into our best 22 and has been on our list for 4 years unless there's a bidding war.

Obviously hope he decides to stay as he'll probably be worth more then a 3rd when he's given a proper crack, but he hasn't exactly shown much to date to suggest he's worth a early/mid 2nd round draft pick at this stage.
Melbourne we're keen on him last year but obviously we took their second round pick for bernie vince

Cam Delaney

We have to many half back flankers who can kick especial if vb comes backs and plays half back flank

Melbourne we're keen on him last year but obviously we took their second round pick for bernie vince
Thing is, at this stage, he hasn't really taken the next step forward so you'd assume a player in his situation would have his value decreasing.

Obviously a great potential get for opposition clubs but I just don't think we'll get near what many on here perceive as his 'worth' unless we can get multiple clubs to the table that chase after him quite a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My realistic hopes for our offseason are as follows:

Gone:
B Rutten (retired)
J Porplyzia (retired / delisted)
A Graham (delisted)
S McKernan (delisted)
J Petrenko (delisted / traded - a lowly club like Melbourne or GWS may be interested in giving us their 3rd rounder for Petrenko but otherwise I just don't see a spot on the list for him)
L Johnston (delisted / traded - could fetch a 3rd rounder or be used in a J Giles / D Gorringe / J Griffin deal. I don't really rate Giles, Griffin or Gorringe, but we need a mature aged backup ruckman like a fat kid needs cake. If it only costs Petrenko or Johnston, I say we jump at it. Lycett appears to be on the verge of re-signing with the Eagles, and I can't think of any other realistic targets floating around off the top of my head.)

Looking like Sam Shaw will survive (the Otten injury confirmed this), assuming he doesn't break down in the next month. LT also appears to have done enough at this point. I'm still not a long-term believer, but Brodie Martin looks set to make the cut (he's outperforming Mackay over the last 6-8 weeks so maybe Brodie will get a 5 year deal :eek:). It remains to be seen if one of Siggins, Atkins or Ellis-Yolmen gets axed, but I'll give them all another year to prove themselves. Reilly is contracted so unfortunately I think we'll have to retain him

FA:
T Goldsack (with Otten going down this makes even more sense than it already did)

Clearly we should be pretty hot on Frawley but I don't think he's a realistic chance of leaving Victoria for any club other than Freo. Gut feeling is he ends up at any one of Collingwood, Freo or Hawthorn.

Trade:
M Wright (for either an outside type with footskills OR a key defensive prospect OR a second round pick)
OR
J Lyons (only if he requests a trade - I would prefer to keep him - see Wright for potential targets)

Personally I would also look at trading Richard Douglas (as he has some genuine currency) but the club won't do it so it's pointless talking about it.

Rookie Upgrade:
C Cameron

1st Round pick (one of):
J Lever (key defender with running ability and leadership qualities)
J Laverde (left footed pacy utility with skills, a bit of height and x-factor)
S Durdin (raw key defender with huge potential)
P Ahern (skillful outside mid who can go forward)
H Goddard (potential tall swingman who seems more suited to defense)
L Weller (slender mid with great footskills)
C Marchbank (shutdown key defender)
R McKenzie (beast key forward who can pinch-hit in the ruck)

first rounders are prioritised in that order - some will be available, some won't.

2nd Round (we may end up with 2 x 2nd rounders if a Lyons or Wright trade transpires):
L Duggan (skillful left footer who can play across half-back or in the midfield)
J Garlett (skillful outside player who can use it on both feet)
J Finlayson (key position prospect - will likely end up at GWS through their academy)
M Hammelmann (tall forward - likely to go to Brisbane through the academy)
C Ellis (skillful outside type)
C Menadue (pacy outside type with great skills)
T Keitel (potential tall swingman)
J Cunico (outside mid with a nice leg)

if we can grab two of these skilled outside types and 1 key defensive prospect in our first 3 picks, I'd be pretty happy.

3rd - 4th Round
H Wigg
J Glenn
C Daniel
D Viojo-Rainbow
anyone who is left who has nice footskills and pace

All of the above will hopefully give us a net result of something like:

OUT:
B Rutten
J Porplyzia
A Graham
S McKernan
J Petrenko
L Johnston
M Wright

IN:
C Cameron
T Goldsack
J Giles
S Durdin
J Garlett
C Ellis
J Glenn

Finally, here's a list of things I think we need to AVOID:
1) Re-signing any of Porplyzia, Graham, Smack, Pets or Johnston. For a wide variety of reasons, none of these guys have a future at AFL level. Porplyzia is simply past it. Graham never had it. Smack has no self-belief. Pets' skills are barely SANFL standard. Johnston simply doesn't work hard enough. Let's cut ties here surely.

2) Selecting Jarrod Pickett in Round 1 of the draft. Lazy downhill skiier. Let him become someone else's problem.

3) Ignoring footskills when trading / drafting. Enough is enough. Let's bring in some players who can KICK.

4) Going anywhere near Shaun Higgins with a 10 foot pole. See Silvia, Colin.

1st Round pick (one of):
J Lever (key defender with running ability and leadership qualities)
J Laverde (left footed pacy utility with skills, a bit of height and x-factor)
S Durdin (raw key defender with huge potential)
P Ahern (skillful outside mid who can go forward)
H Goddard (potential tall swingman who seems more suited to defense)
L Weller (slender mid with great footskills)
C Marchbank (shutdown key defender)
R McKenzie (beast key forward who can pinch-hit in the ruck)

first rounders are prioritised in that order - some will be available, some won't.

2nd Round (we may end up with 2 x 2nd rounders if a Lyons or Wright trade transpires):
L Duggan (skillful left footer who can play across half-back or in the midfield)
J Garlett (skillful outside player who can use it on both feet)
J Finlayson (key position prospect - will likely end up at GWS through their academy)
M Hammelmann (tall forward - likely to go to Brisbane through the academy)
C Ellis (skillful outside type)
C Menadue (pacy outside type with great skills)
T Keitel (potential tall swingman)
J Cunico (outside mid with a nice leg)

if we can grab two of these skilled outside types and 1 key defensive prospect in our first 3 picks, I'd be pretty happy.

3rd - 4th Round
H Wigg
J Glenn
C Daniel
D Viojo-Rainbow
anyone who is left who has nice footskills and pace

Finally, here's a list of things I think we need to AVOID:
1) Re-signing any of Porplyzia, Graham, Smack, Pets or Johnston. For a wide variety of reasons, none of these guys have a future at AFL level. Porplyzia is simply past it. Graham never had it. Smack has no self-belief. Pets' skills are barely SANFL standard. Johnston simply doesn't work hard enough. Let's cut ties here surely.

2) Selecting Jarrod Pickett in Round 1 of the draft. Lazy downhill skiier. Let him become someone else's problem.

3) Ignoring footskills when trading / drafting. Enough is enough. Let's bring in some players who can KICK.

4) Going anywhere near Shaun Higgins with a 10 foot pole. See Silvia, Colin.

I pretty much agree with all of this. Perhaps swapping Weller and Ahern and also Hammelmann and McKenzie. Pretty much nailed it.

Pickett while I've been his biggest critic is offensively performing better than expected in the WAFL. While I have severe reservation if he's able to offensively be elite as opposed to go he might just be worth it. Needs to do a lot more for mine though.

Knightmare has us taking Paul Ahern with our first, his player comparison is Harley Bennell, must be an outside type?

Ahern's inside game has really come on this year. By no means is it good but he's able to win his own ball if required which is a major reason as to his rise up the boards. Bennell is a better version, Ahern's skills and pace aren't as good as Bennell's as a junior and I doubt will ever be. Dahlhaus is a good comparison for him and that's his ceiling IMO.

I think he'll be good but I'm not entirely sure he's worth taking with our first. I'd be looking at Laverde, Weller or Goddard there if the first 9 picks go as KM has them.

Probably not but trading for Phil Davis/Plowman has become more of a priority.

I like Davis as much as the next guy, but I have literally never seen one thing from Plowman that suggests he has any future at AFL level. Yes I know that talls take longer to develop and all that jazz, but he just doesn't possess any attributes that would justify the asking price that GWS would no doubt have on his head. Time will tell of course, but I can't see us getting Plowman for any less than our second rounder plus Lyons or Wright (GWS would likely throw in their 3rd) and I would absolutely hate that deal.

I also strongly doubt whether these Davis rumours have any real substance. If he wasn't captain, or if he was a bit older, I'd be more inclined to believe it.

If Pickett is there at our pick its pants down round the table singing sayonara mackay and thanks for the memories

I think we need to AVOID:
Selecting Jarrod Pickett in Round 1 of the draft. Lazy downhill skiier.

Legitimately curious as to how you know this.

If Pickett is there at our pick its pants down round the table singing sayonara mackay and thanks for the memories

Legitimately curious as to how you know this.

A) He probably won't be there at our pick. West Coast should take him.

B) There won't be any singing. Picks 7-15 are all about on par with each other and will be based around team needs more than anything.

C) I know he's lazy from watching him play at the Championships. Refuses to defend and has zero work ethic. Can this be fixed? Maybe, but I don't like it and I'm predicting he's a complete bust.

A) He probably won't be there at our pick. West Coast should take him.

B) There won't be any singing. Picks 7-15 are all about on par with each other and will be based around team needs more than anything.

C) I know he's lazy from watching him play at the Championships. Refuses to defend and has zero work ethic. Can this be fixed? Maybe, but I don't like it and I'm predicting he's a complete bust.

Pretty much this. He's not only lazy defensively but offensively too. Good outside players work to get into position to receive. Pickett doesn't, he just expects to receive. Very low volume accumulator so while his 15 touches hurt there's only 15 of them. And his presence in the team gives away 15 touches too through lack of accountability.

Pretty much nailed it, doesn't defend. We don't want one way players who force teammates to cover two men. * that, irrespective of flash.

Think we need to try and trade Scott Thompson. IMO he has only half a season of good footy left in him. If we can get some other club to think he has another 2 years of good footy left, I reckon a pick in the 40's or even better is worth it.

We need to get game time into Lyons and M.Crouch and an extra pick in the draft to maybe get another tall defender would be worth it.

Not sure the club has the balls to make these type of decisions but after trading Vince last year, I'm hopeful.

We have to many half back flankers who can kick especial if vb comes backs and plays half back flank
Agree but the Smith move to the midfield seems inevitable, VB at half back is an unknown and Jaensch still has a lot to prove to a lot of people. This only really leaves Hendo as an establish HBF. I would be all for recruiting 1 more good quality HBF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back