Autopsy AFL 2019 Round 18: Brisbane Lions vs. North Melbourne, 7:25pm AEST Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

That rule should be shot and fired out of the nearest cannon. If that's below the knees the game is gone

I have no idea how he is claiming it was below the knees to the North player lmao. Clug tripped over Big O, Marley Williams unluckily landed on his back. It's a free, albeit without Williams doing anything wrong.

For there to be contact below the knees there has to, you know, be contact below the knees :drunk:

The ben brown free, whilst stupid, is a clear free under the current rucking framework. The Brisbane player stuck his arm out into brown who was jumping at the footy.

Again, I don’t think this should be a rule, but it is and was umpired correctly.

There was a big discussion about this 2 months back or so. The fact that Luke Darcy doesn’t know the rule is more a reflection on him.

I have no idea how he is claiming it was below the knees to the North player lmao. Clug tripped over Big O, Marley Williams unluckily landed on his back. It's a free, albeit without Williams doing anything wrong.

For there to be contact below the knees there has to, you know, be contact below the knees :drunk:

Yeah I'm not really sure how you trip or fall over without any sort of, you know, impedance on your legs below your knees.

Like do we need a scientist to give you a lesson on being tripped? If you can't move your leg forward to support your body because it's caught on something and your body is moving forward it's scientifically impossible for you not to sorta fall over

Do I need to show you a video of someone being tripped vs someone running into something above their knees? You just stop suddenly when the contact is above the knees.

Brown's one was there he tried to jump and touch the ball but the Lions player pushed him so he couldn't touch the ball

Correct. Whether the rule is wrong or not it's still there but the other was was wrong, also the blocking call/non call should be dealt with as well.
These umpires were either cheating or being influenced by the crowd in the same way they accuse the umpires in Eagles games, either way they should be sacked

Correct. Whether the rule is wrong or not it's still there but the other was was wrong, also the blocking call/non call should be dealt with as well.
These umpires were either cheating or being influenced by the crowd in the same way they accuse the umpires in Eagles games, either way they should be sacked

The one that was paid against hodge then more reasons not yet explained, was reversed is the worst of the lot.

Turner running to contest the footy in the air, hodge turns to look at him, walks into his path, turner falls over. The umpire with a perfect view both signals block and says block, north run forward of the footy, then the umpire I guess changes his mind, and says “no, mark”.

Baffling.

Man you guys really wanted to be outright second huh. Still incredibly funny that eagles fans are spending their sunday whinging about the free kick tally in other games.

North fans have a legit grievance though I don't think that makes our win underserving.

Yeah I'm not really sure how you trip or fall over without any sort of, you know, impedance on your legs below your knees.

Like do we need a scientist to give you a lesson on being tripped? If you can't move your leg forward to support your body because it's caught on something and your body is moving forward it's scientifically impossible for you not to sorta fall over

Do I need to show you a video of someone being tripped vs someone running into something above their knees? You just stop suddenly when the contact is above the knees.

Mate I hate to tell you but there was no contact below the knees to a north player. Check out the 6 min mark of the highlight package:

Anderson falls over Clug after the push in the back has already happened.

North have bigger things to worry about than losing a game they were going to lose anyway.

Their VFL team is being dominated by a team that is barely VFL standard.

Not sure how they are going to push for a flag with no support from the seconds.

I'm tipping bottom 4 soon and then for them to stay there for while.

It's good not to be on the receiving end of one of these close ones finally. We played well overall, didn't quite outplay them thanks to their highly accurate conversion and it was a good match. Crowd played their part and Umpires fell for it. I'll take the 4 points and be thankful about it. Good luck North, now roll on next week !

Man you guys really wanted to be outright second huh. Still incredibly funny that eagles fans are spending their sunday whinging about the free kick tally in other games.

North fans have a legit grievance though I don't think that makes our win underserving.

Mate I hate to tell you but there was no contact below the knees to a north player. Check out the 6 min mark of the highlight package:

Anderson falls over Clug after the push in the back has already happened.

Ahh yes my bad you were correct

I will say that that passage of play wouldn't have happened if the wrong free wasn't paid earlier though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's incredible with all the awful and one sided umpiring we have seen this year, the only times the AFL seems to come out and acknowledge an error is when it has been a Victorian team on the rough end against a non Victorian side.

Well put. Can't remember a time when the AFL came out so quickly calling a decision as incorrect.

If the shoe was on the other foot and North won throuhh a dubious free, it definitely would have been stone cold silence and "oh well, unlucky Lions should have kicked straighter." on SM.

Lol. If the Oscar free kick wasn't paid, we would have had the ball in our hands and anyrhing could have happened. The goal you kicked after that is completely irrelevant had the mark been paid correctly.

Not to mention Marley Williams was being held by Cameron in the lead up to the mcluggage kick

I feel the Thomson was the correct decision

Players need to engage with opposition and bump etc in a duel. It is unfair to have a player unknowingly be pushed/bumped mostly from behind well before the ball arrives
Thomson had 2 clear and distinct actions and the ball was not within 5 meters. I know it's a contact sport but this particular action is incorrect, can be borderline in some contests but not in this case as far as I was concerned
I have seen this decision go both ways but I believe in fairness it should be hold your ground and bump when ball is within 5 metres (difficult to judge this, but realistically can be obvious) rather than bump opposition out of the contest then hold ground and mark
Of late this type of mark has sneaked in and in my opinion has lead to this confusion

Similar to the quick over the head handball, which reassembled a fling of both arms

Good game in the end with controversial decisions that favoured both sides to add spice
lol aged well

Brown's one was there he tried to jump and touch the ball but the Lions player pushed him so he couldn't touch the ball
It wasn't a push... watch it again, Big O never took his eye off the ball and was directly under the drop of the ball. He held his elbow out to protect himself and his own space. I think if Big O took his eyes off the ball and looked at Brown it's probably fair enough. But in last nights case, it was just purely good ruck work.

It was a bad call.

They were only handing us the ball because the likes of Simpkin (5 free kicks against) kept scragging off the ball.

Agree - the better team won the game and the dubious frees balanced out. And of course North conceded more frees overall with their pseduo tough guy act.

Nothing to complain about for the losing side. Good luck in finals.

Should never be dubious frees, but there are . Why? The rules are grey and the umpires have no feel as players only as pedantic adjudicarors who believe in some cases they are as big as the game. THYE ARE NOT, AND THEY SHOULD HAVE AN INSTINCT TO UMPIRE.
BUT THEY CAN'T. Why?
Because ambiguous rules created by the mongrels at the AFL, make it so difficult that umpires have had to become computerised robots , who have no instinct for the game whatsoever, and if they have, they sometimes cannot use iot because every little twitch is observed and they've been instructed to call them.

They are so ambiguous you just wait til the cheating starts, if it hasn't already, gambling is a disease of epidemic proportions in the AFL it will kill it eventually.
And grey rules is the cause.

Well put. Can't remember a time when the AFL came out so quickly calling a decision as incorrect.

If the shoe was on the other foot and North won throuhh a dubious free, it definitely would have been stone cold silence and "oh well, unlucky Lions should have kicked straighter." on SM.
They were quick because the decision had no impact on the result. It's the controversial ones they bury.

He held his elbow out to protect himself and his own space. I think if Big O took his eyes off the ball and looked at Brown it's probably fair enough. But in last nights case, it was just purely good ruck work.

It was a bad call.

Hence it was a free kick under the stupid rule. You’re not allowed to protect space in a ruck contest.

lol aged well
There is no border line in football, real football! Its meant to be black and white, and that should be the rule, but it isn't and that's why we have these conversations and arguments on this forum.
And we listen to the fools in the commentary box trying week after week to explain why something is right or wrong.
Well if its not blatant , then a free kick is not required , but todays' game anything can create a free kick, "ANYTHING" with the way the rules have been poisoned by Hocking and Mclaghlan.

OH ITS SUNDAY , SiTTING IN ANOTHER ROOM OFf WHERE I AM AT THE MOMENT LISTENING TO FOOTBALL WATCHERS NEXT ROOM JUST HEARD WHICH IS NOT ABNORMAL TO HEAR, "JESUS CHRIST UMPIRE??" FROM VOICES ECHOING , ha ha ha ! Yep that's our sport , some adjudicator who can't umpire!

North have bigger things to worry about than losing a game they were going to lose anyway.

Their VFL team is being dominated by a team that is barely VFL standard.

Not sure how they are going to push for a flag with no support from the seconds.

I'm tipping bottom 4 soon and then for them to stay there for while.

Dominated? Scores close to even at half time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back