Opinion AFL 2023 Round 6 - Liked, learnt, hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked - The ANZAC Day ceremony before the game today. Something we do really well.

Learnt - The Crows and Hawks both have some bright times ahead. Two young lists that played out an entertaining game on Sunday.

Hated - Mrs Zevon beating me at tipping AGAIN. Man I suck at this.

Liked: A great game of footy on Anzac Day.
Learnt: Some teams despite their injury lists can put up a gut busting effort (Yes Sydney im talking about you)
Hated: not so much hated, but disappointed in a couple of mistakes by senior hawthorn players in the last few minutes.

Liked - Adelaide showing some heart to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Love Adelaide (except for next week).

Learnt - Frampton is a pretty decent ruckman.

Hated - Thought Geelong were done, cooked. Nope. They're like Jason - they never ******* die.

Last edited:
Liked: Gold Coast getting a win, Tom and Jerry kicking 10 between them, that there’s no clear runaway

Learned: Our loss to Carlton looks like a bad miss, re. Carlton it’s no use having two gun forwards if you can’t get them good ball. I assumed they’d kick big scores all year

Hated: I am not in any way dismissing that some of these teams might do something in the next few years but I hate the AFL culture of ‘so and so is building towards something in the next few years.’ I’ve followed footy for 34 years. In that time there have been 7 multiple flag sides that pop up every few years with the odd random one in between. Chances are most if not all the ‘teams building towards something’ are not going to achieve anything. It reinforces the fact that I wish the comp had a bigger emphasis on every side trying to win every season

Liked: Huge crowds, gorgeous weather, great footy match today. The singing of both national anthems and the bugler were fantastic, lots of tears as always…such a moving ceremony.
Learnt: The AFL will survive
Hated: I didn’t really hate anything this week, just happy to be here and watch our great game :)

Liked : Amazing win on Saturday. a great day today

Learnt: Watching today's game convinced me the tackle as we know it is about to undertake a major transformation. Players were intentionally avoiding the possibility of tackling a player to the ground. I don't believe tackling players to the ground will exist within just a few years.

Hated: Hard to hate anything with this round, but i do worry about where the "the tackle" is heading?

Liked : Amazing win on Saturday. a great day today

Learnt: Watching today's game convinced me the tackle as we know it is about to undertake a major transformation. Players were intentionally avoiding the possibility of tackling a player to the ground. I don't believe tackling players to the ground will exist within just a few years.

Hated: Hard to hate anything with this round, but i do worry about where the "the tackle" is heading?

Hasn’t ever attracted as much attention as the sling but this started with the in-the-back interpretation. It’s the stupidest rule in football

Liked - Fogarty's set shot. Ben King kicking a bag
Learnt - Something is seriously wrong with Harry McKay.
Hated - Touk Miller's injury, although at least it isn't an ACL. The end of the Crows/Hawks game clashing with the start of the Saints/Blues.

Liked - The Saints overcoming Carlton and some terrible umpiring to notch up another win, a classic Anzac Day game today that went down to the wire.

Learnt - The sling tackle rules are going to cause problems with players trying to throw their heads at the ground to milk free kicks.

Hated - The umpiring in the Saints v Blues game and several other games over this round, also overlapping games on Sunday again.

Liked - Fogarty's set shot. Ben King kicking a bag
Learnt - Something is seriously wrong with Harry McKay.
Hated - Touk Miller's injury, although at least it isn't an ACL. The end of the Crows/Hawks game clashing with the start of the Saints/Blues.

Two weeks in a row I've missed the last quarter of an exciting match, Hawks v GWS and Hawks v Crows, due to them clashing with the start of the Saints V Pies game and the Saints v Blues game. Surely it can't be that hard to fixture the Sunday games where they don't all overlap with each other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked - Crows. We need another strong non Victorian side to compete.

Learnt - Melbourne got out of jail. Genuine 5-8 side and probably going to waste the last years of Gawn unless we get some serious improvement.

Hated - Will get another Victorian premier unless Brisbane can play at the G. Here’s hoping they can. AFL needs a non Victorian premier after only having one in a decade with plenty of them making it and losing.

Liked - The Saints overcoming Carlton and some terrible umpiring to notch up another win, a classic Anzac Day game today that went down to the wire.

Learnt - The sling tackle rules are going to cause problems with players trying to throw their heads at the ground to milk free kicks.

Hated - The umpiring in the Saints v Blues game and several other games over this round, also overlapping games on Sunday again.

Two weeks in a row I've missed the last quarter of an exciting match, Hawks v GWS and Hawks v Crows, due to them clashing with the start of the Saints V Pies game and the Saints v Blues game. Surely it can't be that hard to fixture the Sunday games where they don't all overlap with each other.
State of umpiring is a disaster, as are the rule changes non stop

Alls i am going to say is Collingwood cant be stopped. near impossible to beat on the MCG. they will win the flag. you could be 5 goals up with 5mins to play and you still wouldnt be safe from them.

Liked - Adelaide showing some heart to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Love Adelaide (except for next week).

Learnt - Frampton is a pretty decent ruckman.

Hated - Thought Geelong were done, cooked. Nope. They're like Jason - they never ******* die.
bit like the pies, you never die.

Liked: that my beloved Magpies are one of those teams that just keep coming back. Always wanted them to be like that.

Learnt: contrary to what the detractors say Nick Daicos can play well all over the ground. Yesterday he played forward, back and in the guts.

Hated: Nothing. My team is flying and I tipped nine winners. What's to hate?

Liked - Crows. We need another strong non Victorian side to compete.

Learnt - Melbourne got out of jail. Genuine 5-8 side and probably going to waste the last years of Gawn unless we get some serious improvement.

Hated - Will get another Victorian premier unless Brisbane can play at the G. Here’s hoping they can. AFL needs a non Victorian premier after only having one in a decade with plenty of them making it and losing.

My f***ing God you flip flop like a fish out of water and make these over the top statments based on an instant reaction.

Melbourne aren't a genuine 5-8 side, they're a top 4 at worst side but top 2 is where we are.

It's been 6 rounds calm down.

Liked: Saints
Learnt: Melbourne's selectors ignore form.
Hated: Umpiring (especially in the Saints game), Melboutne's form

Liked: anzac day was a day well done. Augue march perfect for the occasion, speeches were good, there was a pull back from using war/battle as a metaphor for a game of footy.
Moore's speech was excellent.
Game was really good

Crows - love their work ethic but also their kicking game. Crows v pies will be a cracker last 5m of a game

Kyle Langford. Kid's been an efc whipping boy for years, meaning the talent and quality was often overlooked. Having a stellar year.

Learnt: Gotta be fit to beat the pies. Really looking fwd to this weekend. A burgess trained crows against a shirt break pies will provide a lot of insights into where footy is going.

Hated: not much. Not having merrett was a shame. Most important player for the dons.
Shame to give up that lead, but sometimes you gotta acknowledge the better team, and appreciate the brief period you had them on the ropes.....or thought you did anyway

Liked- Channel 7 for showing the Grand final replay Saturday night.

Learnt- Nick Martin ran to 100 contests in the last qtr and pulled up the deck chair and watched…soft as butter.

Hated- People jumping at opportunities to rub players out so quickly without looking at incidents individually.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back