Opinion AFL 2023 Round 8 - Liked, learnt, hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked - Yeah it was against my own team and all, but that Brody Mihocek goal where he decided he’d turn into peak Ronaldo was pretty good.

Learnt - The Bigfooty community looks set to keep underestimating the Bombers for the foreseeable future. They’re really not that bad. They’re sitting 4-4, all their losses have been respectable, and the draw is about to open up for them after one more tough game next week. They’re well in the mix for a finals spot.

Hated - Usually I start this part with “hated might be a bit harsh, but…” but yeah it’s not harsh at all this week. That North-St Kilda game. Yuck 🤮

Liked: Noah Anderson. Quietly building an AA season. He and Green were phenomenal this weekend.
Learned: Brad Scott tempering expectations should be heeded. It's a better year than anticipated, but Dons still quite a work in progress
Hated: Umpiring ruining good contests. still scratching my head on the Keays non-call.

Liked: A good win against a good team.

Learnt: It's still a wide-open season and it will be a survival of the fittest.

Hated: The absurdity of the MRO and the direction the game is going, I doubt a Tasmanian player will ever lay a tackle in AFL Football, the tackle will be gone by then.

Liked: Noah Anderson. Quietly building an AA season. He and Green were phenomenal this weekend.
Learned: Brad Scott tempering expectations should be heeded. It's a better year than anticipated, but Dons still quite a work in progress
Hated: Umpiring ruining good contests. still scratching my head on the Keays non-call.
1683475134251.png

Liked: Nothing
Hated: Port finding a way to win yet again and now looking like top 4 chances
Learnt: Nothing new in this predictable comp

Liked: A good win against a good team.

Learnt: It's still a wide-open season and it will be a survival of the fittest.

Hated: The absurdity of the MRO and the direction the game is going, I doubt a Tasmanian player will ever lay a tackle in AFL Football, the tackle will be gone by then.
You think we(Crows) are a good team?
Sorry, but this block of tough games are exposing.. if we cant pinch a win the next 3 weeks we are your typical bottom 6 side.

Sorry, but this block of tough games are exposing.. if we cant pinch a win the next 3 weeks we are your typical bottom 6 side.
Gee, you're a bit tough on them. They lost by a point to the Pies and there was never a bigger lead than the final result down at Geelong. I can see 13 or 14 wins for Adelaide this year.

Agree with the Adelaide sentiment.

It will be viewed with skepticism that it’s an attempt to big up the Cats but honestly we know we didn’t beat the 1980s Hawks on Saturday or anything but I think Adelaide are a genuinely promising side and will be playing finals this year

Have dons and crows in similar boats
Good sides but will be found lacking against the better sides.

Our clash should be good later in the year if both clubs keep it up
Hoping to jag a ticket but not holding much hope

Edit -NM, thought it was at AO. Its marvel

Really liked all the tears and sooking after Dees gave the Gold Coast another L on the weekend :)
"Neutrals" barracking for the underdog, feeling hard done by, waaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
Liked Carlton kick-starting the weekend with another Friday Night Prime Time TV loss too, best way to settle in!!!

Hated Roo getting a two-week suspension because Charlie Ballard didn't get hurt. Let's see how that one plays out!

Liked - Carlton getting shown up yet again as downhill skiers. Nothing like watching an implosion in slow motion.

Learnt - Pies have depth. One soldier out, one soldier in, and they’re performing gallantly.

Hated - Not much. Pies sitting pretty on top, and there’s no buzz kill capable of changing that ⬛⬜⬛⬜

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked: Josh Carr's 5th Coaching win in a row from the Box

Learned: Booing is bigoted or "racist" depending on who is booed according to our media overlords

Hated: -

The game is awful. The essence of Australian Rules Football is gone.
1.Protect the ball winner, GONE (gang tackles 50% are above the shoulder or in the back contact - when a player jumps/falls on his already two teammates tackling a guy on the ground, his extra weight is IN THE FECKING BACK. It's not fecking rugby.
2. give the ball winner reasonable opportunity to dispose of the ball when tackled GONE HTB HTB THB all we fecking hear a player is too scared to take possession now, better to wait then tackle...when a ball is dislodged in a tackle it is NOT HOLDING THE BALL unless he has had PROPER PRIOR opportunity (which for 150 years was more than the 0.3 seconds players now have.... and if he dos DROP it, it's not FECKING holding the ball. the rule is DROPPING THE BALL
It's why the game is a shade what it was.
Oh we know why Collingwood supporters are the least liked - that booing shite is so ignorant

Have dons and crows in similar boats
Good sides but will be found lacking against the better sides.

Our clash should be good later in the year if both clubs keep it up
Hoping to jag a ticket but not holding much hope

Edit -NM, thought it was at AO. Its marvel
I think Bombers win that win as its in Melbourne.

Gee, you're a bit tough on them. They lost by a point to the Pies and there was never a bigger lead than the final result down at Geelong. I can see 13 or 14 wins for Adelaide this year.
If we get 13 or 14 wins that means we finish in the 8.. i will always be tough on them cos they have brought me too much frustration in my adult life (i was 15 when we last won a flag)
we blew it against the Pies, should have won that by 5 goal, we were never winning in Geelong. Massive 3 weeks. need to win our games at AO. Realistically from 2024 onwards will be our time to contend but geez, they teased us in that 4 week block last month.

Loved: Jack Payne defensive work on Curnow he’s clearly the most underrated defender in the AFL
Learned Melbourne struggle away from Melbourne and the media seems to ignore it
Hated :Melbourne StKilda and Collingwood get easy fixtured matches strangely all struggled
Playing Gold Coast at home is always a tough task. Testing conditions and they have the inside mids and ruck to match Melbourne around the stoppages.

Liked - Phillipou finally hung onto one.
Learned - Unfortunately Cunnington might be done.
Hated - Culley doing his ACL, almost everything about that North vs Saints game

Liked.Carlton showing that they are way off from being a premiership threat.
Learnt.No matter how bad the Eagles are and how many injuries they have and the criticism they get we might still be beaten by the Hawks for the spoon.
Hated Culley getting a acl.All the draftees from the last two years basically injured.Also players getting games because of lack of availability and who will be delisted at the end of the year.

Liked: Oscar Allen is an exciting young tall for West Coast and is putting together a nice season after a strong 4 goal outing.

Learnt: Tom Green is almost/will be the best player in game. He is off the charts.

Hated: That I find myself wanting Collingwood to win more often than not. A passionate supporter base, good coach and exciting footy. Collingwood being likeable is proof that we are living in a simulation...

Liked - My winter beanie.
Learned - if you throw the ball 30 metres when tackled, the umpires think it is a "spill"
Hated - the umpiring. Ruining what is left of a once great game.

Like - Carlton supporters leaving before 3/4 time
Learned - Swans coach isnt that bright
Liked - Mihocek cult heroics move to next stage.

Liked - the emergence of Arty Jones at the Kennel.
Learnt - the hype around Tom Green is justified.
Hated - Buddy Franklin is a legend and an all time great of the game - treat him with the respect he deserves opposition fans.

liked not much
learnt no home ground favours from umpiring towards the suns in the last minute 2 blatant frees not paid
hated the booing of buddy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back