AFL Cairns - 2012 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Got my groups mixed up sorry lads! Saints through after beating Port in a close one in group one. Walked out after the showers and saw Chris Adams being sent off 5 minutes into the game from a cheap shot...

Lions looked competitive, hopefully the numbers improve.

Gills clearance is on the website. His housmate is a Saints player and old friend from Adelaide I think. Come across and see his pay slip Tamby... I reckon he is on less then some of your 'recruits'. Some blokes actually play where they think they will enjoy it.

Gill has 2 mates at Saints from Adelaide and he lives in the same complex as 14 other Saints players so that is what made him come to Saints... Also it was the closest club to where he lives...

Cities look to have improved and their new CHF looked the goods however needs a few more players to help him...
Souths vs Saints in the GF next week... Have they ever considered the twos of both clubs playing before the seniors??

You would probably call Souths progression to the final an upset, perhaps they're just a bit better prepared than others at this stage of the year. Ports defeat of Norths maybe an upset prior to the day, based on all of their outs, but they also took it up to Saints for the first half.

Hawks tend to have guys out for cricket at this time of the year. Plus they didn't have a coach until a few weeks ago. (I drove past Griffiths on the way home and saw the cricketers all dressed up under the shelter pretending that they might see the sun, never seen a bigger exercise in futility).

Port had a couple of handy recruits, from Gippsland, Vic according to the people from down that way at Saints who recognised them, seemed to be the key in their defeat of Norths who seemed to play their better players against Lions.

Conditions were too poor to bother reading much into it, it wasn't taking much for people to pull out of the team due to the conditions by the looks of those on the sidelines.

Didn't notice the umps, thought they might have been a bit whistle-shy, but I prefer that to whistle-happy, especially given the conditions where dropping the ball was mostly mistakes rather than incorrect disposal. Not as bad a day as I thought it would be. I didn't see any injuries which is always good in the pre-season games.

DRK, is there anything stopping Saints and Souths arranging a ressies praccy match of two halves before the senior game?

You would probably call Souths progression to the final an upset, perhaps they're just a bit better prepared than others at this stage of the year. Ports defeat of Norths maybe an upset prior to the day, based on all of their outs, but they also took it up to Saints for the first half.

Hawks tend to have guys out for cricket at this time of the year. Plus they didn't have a coach until a few weeks ago. (I drove past Griffiths on the way home and saw the cricketers all dressed up under the shelter pretending that they might see the sun, never seen a bigger exercise in futility).

Port had a couple of handy recruits, from Gippsland, Vic according to the people from down that way at Saints who recognised them, seemed to be the key in their defeat of Norths who seemed to play their better players against Lions.

Conditions were too poor to bother reading much into it, it wasn't taking much for people to pull out of the team due to the conditions by the looks of those on the sidelines.

Didn't notice the umps, thought they might have been a bit whistle-shy, but I prefer that to whistle-happy, especially given the conditions where dropping the ball was mostly mistakes rather than incorrect disposal. Not as bad a day as I thought it would be. I didn't see any injuries which is always good in the pre-season games.

DRK, is there anything stopping Saints and Souths arranging a ressies praccy match of two halves before the senior game?

Other teams tend to have a match before the pre season grand final. I know Saints a few seasons ago played one when they didnt make the GF.

Missed pre-season comp games, judging by todays fish wrapper it sounds like there was a bit of fire in some of the boys. Good to hear some positives about Cities.

Didn't miss much in the way of good footy Flinstone... Going against what Souths coach said I reckon you can take a bit out of the weekend.

Manunda - look like the big sliders, missing the core of players from last year. Coach (Clint) looked ok but I expected more. How many play cricket still?

Saints - looked good as usual. Braybon is huge (if it was him up forward with the beard), a lot of new faces by the looks of things. Gill and Walsh did not play.

Port - are better that expected, a big key forward would help their cause. Will only improve with all the new players.

Norths - well my boys have improved but so have others... From my eyes I only spotted Dixon and Liddy missing. Need someone to kick the goals!

Souths - Good, looks like they have structure. Maybe missing a couple of guns but I like what I saw. Well done Grant, first points go to him.

Centrals - Not bad, is the coach injured? If they can control Adams (so he doesn't upset the entire playing group) they will go ok.

Lions - Impressive, after last year. Good coach, hopefully they can pick up a few more and get a couple of wins on the board. As said earlier, their CHF showed plenty and Braccio (?) still goes well.

I reckon it will be a more competitive, improved standard this year compared to last. Saints over Souths next week if all players are available, but it won't be all one way.

Word has it there are several CTB players not happy with the new coach,ass coach whatever Adams is. These players include a few club veterans who dont want to play under him. Cities did look better but there new CHF will need a lot of help to get them a few wins this year. He looks pretty classy but if they cant get the ball to him it wont matter much. Port wont drop off as much as people think but did look a little short on size. Lots of either new faces or 2nds players at Hawks on the w/e but i still think they wont repeat last years efforts. Souths look better with their big ruck looking very good. Saints will be there abouts with probably 6 first picked players still to come in

Apart from the Saints I think from what I'm hearing, the comp will be a lot closer than people think.

Heard a few weeks ago that things mightn't be real rosy at Centrals.

Braybon does have a pretty sweet beard at the moment. I wouldn't want to be the one trying to match up on the Saints forward line at full strength, Gill, Braybon and Walsh on a dry day.

I was told Liddy and Dixon were playing but the guy who pointed them out to me didn't sound all that confident (could have been wrong).

I'm going to reserve my judgement on Hawks, a guess at a ladder after Saturday is:

Saints
(Hawks)
Norths
Port
Souths
Centrals
Cities

Gill has 2 mates at Saints from Adelaide and he lives in the same complex as 14 other Saints players so that is what made him come to Saints... Also it was the closest club to where he lives...

14 Saints players living in the one complex... Paying the rent for a few players there Saints? Not that there's anything wrong with that, just wonder who owns that complex.

Was a dismal day for footy for the pre season comp, Saints look to be a fair way ahead in terms of a list while Port don't look to be on the slide that many, (including myself), first thought.

Adams not popular at a second club. We heard the exact same rumors about Gav Miller when he went across last year. How much is genuinely true or residual rumor from his time at souths?

P.S. The return of the mighty Crows!!!

14 Saints players living in the one complex... Paying the rent for a few players there Saints? Not that there's anything wrong with that, just wonder who owns that complex.

Was a dismal day for footy for the pre season comp, Saints look to be a fair way ahead in terms of a list while Port don't look to be on the slide that many, (including myself), first thought.

Adams not popular at a second club. We heard the exact same rumors about Gav Miller when he went across last year. How much is genuinely true or residual rumor from his time at souths?

No doubt the complex in question is Cairns One where alot of the younger generation in Cairns like to live. Its like being on holiday at home in there so no wonder it attracts so many.

P.S. The return of the mighty Crows!!!

Is Miller still at Centrals?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know it's very early but I think there are a few people on here that are being a bit quick to write the Cutters off for 2012. I think you might be a bit surprised at season's end.

Without smashing Chris Adams charatar to pieces, why does he become disliked?? Does authority go to his head and he's trying to make a coaching name for himself to quick??

There are constuctive ways to describe why he's disliked at his past two clubs and by the sounds of things, his current club aswel.

PS...where has the poster Shezza gone???

What do people think of Souths v Saints this week?

I think the Saints will get up, there's a lot of new guys challenging for positions for round 1 and 2 (Hawks and Norths) and plenty of depth so even though it doesn't mean a hell of a lot, those guys will be out to prove something to the coaches to get a spot come round 1.

If it stays hot like it has been today, I don't think many of the new Vic boys from Warrnambool will handle the heat too well for Souths.

Not that I'm writing off the Cutters for the season, i'm giving them a lot more credit than I would have since the last time we played them.

Real stinker today.

What do people think of Souths v Saints this week?

I think the Saints will get up, there's a lot of new guys challenging for positions for round 1 and 2 (Hawks and Norths) and plenty of depth so even though it doesn't mean a hell of a lot, those guys will be out to prove something to the coaches to get a spot come round 1.

If it stays hot like it has been today, I don't think many of the new Vic boys from Warrnambool will handle the heat too well for Souths.

Not that I'm writing off the Cutters for the season, i'm giving them a lot more credit than I would have since the last time we played them.

Real stinker today.

Didn't know that was in Air Con all Day no windows instructing.

Souths will make it competetive as always no one lays down whilst playing.

We as well have players viaing for position in the One's, with quite a few to come into the side from last weekend, the club is fielding a relative unknown side with plenty of last years stalwarts,

not potato's as Stinking Pants says :eek:

Another said day for the for his family & the AFL with Jim Stynes Funeral, RIP, you were a gentleman of the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back