Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I’ll defer to experts on strength. I know top two are looking nice.

My point is, do you think a compromised pick 9 is good for essendon or prefer to gamble on a pick 5-14 next year.
The players next year are looking like a small midfield dominant draft. I think Essendon should see if they can fleece a club, by moving back in this years draft, maybe Adelaide or north and try and nab a a future pick too. I only know about the top prospects for next year, so far I haven’t seen anything as of yet in that draft range you propose that is better for list needs that are better than this year but off course next years draft is so far away.

Lots more educated that me seem to think that the later the draft goes, the less multiple traits a player seems to have. The top end has 5+ top traits, then falls away to less than 2 for example after pick 20 - odd at a guess.
I think this draft doesn’t have a lot of quality ball users in the 30-50 draft range, there’s a lot of amazing athletic prospects though, a lot of raw talent but none the less it’s a good year to fill list needs, plenty of good prospects I believe.

The players next year are looking like a small midfield dominant draft. I think Essendon should see if they can fleece a club, by moving back in this years draft, maybe Adelaide or north and try and nab a a future pick too. I only know about the top prospects for next year, so far I haven’t seen anything as of yet in that draft range you propose that is better for list needs that are better than this year but off course next years draft is so far away.

Yeah of course. Clayton oliver wasn’t even in the tab program at this point then went pick 3 so it is hard to tell now.

Based on average draft I’d simply be patient and try to snag a future first from a targeted team if the best available player at our pick doesn’t fill a need.

People tend to overpay for the shiny new toy that is here and now.

Who do you like in that 14-20 range out of curiosity?
Charlie Edwards, Darcy Wilson (apparently will be available at Melbourne’s pick, which should be 14 on the night). Tholstrup, Croft(obviously tied to the bulldogs), Collard, Zakostelsky, Mcabe.

It was Hugh McCluggae for me. Was so Devo when we went McGrath. After that I stopped investing so much mentality into what I wanted.
Yeah me too. I’ve been burnt by how often we pick the guy who doesn’t have the big tank. McLug and Taranto fantastic aerobic players, defs helps them reach their potential these days.

I don’t think I’ve ever wanted a player as much as I want Wilson in this draft.
I think he’s a real sleeper - from what I’ve seen his size, talent and running ability look more like someone in 5-10 range.If we take Windsor ahead of him I call it now as a mistake.

eDPS Is there a specific knock on Wilson? Anything around physicality, hardness etc? Or does he just not accumulate the way say Sanders and McCercher do?

I think he’s a real sleeper - from what I’ve seen his size, talent and running ability look more like someone in 5-10 range.If we take Windsor ahead of him I call it now as a mistake.

eDPS Is there a specific knock on Wilson? Anything around physicality, hardness etc? Or does he just not accumulate the way say Sanders and McCercher do?
He leans more outside than inside and as an outside player he could use the ball a little better by foot but he is still pretty solid with the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really like Windsor. He has speed, poise and precision passing. Star qualities and a rare combination in one player. Nice size too.

Thing is we don't need him with Martin, Durham, Tsatas and Duursma already.

Yeah it’s very rare to have a top 3 in speed that is also a good kick that has also shown an ability to hit the scoreboard.

I think a team will grab him before us based on the upside.

He leans more outside than inside and as an outside player he could use the ball a little better by foot but he is still pretty solid with the ball.
That’s interesting.

I like him by foot. He can drill it or weight it as required. Always looks balanced.

Our first for tigers future first and 41 (they are only using two picks)

"Potentially. You're probably looking at giving up something in next year's draft to do that. We'll have a look at that on the night if we think there's something coming through that we might be able to do that with," Clarke told AFL.com.au's Gettable Draft Countdown.

"You've got to keep all bases open and have a lot of contingencies around what could happen. We're obviously doing that at the moment and talking to a few people about what types of players might get through to us

I really like Windsor. He has speed, poise and precision passing. Star qualities and a rare combination in one player. Nice size too.

Thing is we don't need him with Martin, Durham, Tsatas and Duursma already.
I don’t think you can have enough of them in today’s game man. We were one of the worst transition teams in the comp. And take Tsatas out of that group, he is not a winger at all.

"Potentially. You're probably looking at giving up something in next year's draft to do that. We'll have a look at that on the night if we think there's something coming through that we might be able to do that with," Clarke told AFL.com.au's Gettable Draft Countdown.

"You've got to keep all bases open and have a lot of contingencies around what could happen. We're obviously doing that at the moment and talking to a few people about what types of players might get through to us
That’s a terrible trade imo likely you get around about the same pick next year with all the risk, there’s no incentive to make the trade
New coach unpredictable how they’ll go, could easily spike and suddenly you look very silly. We likely get 1 of caddy, O’Sullivan, Wilson or Windsor.

Yeah I’ll defer to experts on strength. I know top two are looking nice.

My point is, do you think a compromised pick 9 is good for essendon or prefer to gamble on a pick 5-14 next year.
Pick 9 vs even the best in your scenario 5, im not even sure id absolutely do that

Probably not, without much thought

Ewww...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back