AFL Hall of Fame

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe this is the year that Dane Swan becomes eligible.

Others eligible this year include:

Pavlich
Bartel
Enright
B Harvey
Dal Santo

Got to think that Pavlich, Bartel and Boomer Harvey are near certainties to get in. Does Swannie go straight in?

I believe this is the year that Dane Swan becomes eligible.

Others eligible this year include:

Pavlich
Bartel
Enright
B Harvey
Dal Santo

Got to think that Pavlich, Bartel and Boomer Harvey are near certainties to get in. Does Swannie go straight in?
They can induct up to 8 new members, so Swannie is a certainty (to my completely biased one eye).

I think Swan goes straight in. Over 250 games, a Brownlow (should have been 2), a flag, 5 AA's, and a couple of other awards (AFLCA, AFL MVP). His 5 year period from 09-13 was absurd.

He should go straight in. But we're talking about the AFL potentially giving out an award to a Collingwood person here, so normal rules don't apply.

They can induct up to 8 new members, so Swannie is a certainty (to my completely biased one eye).

There are a usually a few older inductions as well as coaches, umpires, media etc so the number of 2016 retirees might not be that large. But again, he should be there.

Hopefully we see Dick Lee elevated to legend. His record stands alone in the formative years and an argument could be made that he should have been an inaugural legend.

Greg Phillips got one for 2020. Unfortunately for his performances for the Port Adelaide Magpies. We’ll claim him as a Collingwood hall of famer! 😉

The complete lack of pies players over the past is incredible. We might as well not exist. Mike Fitzpatrick, are you serious, I can think of half a dozen pies players before him.

The complete lack of pies players over the past is incredible. We might as well not exist. Mike Fitzpatrick, are you serious, I can think of half a dozen pies players before him.

“Sorry Swanny, we found someone who played for Carlton in the 70s who hasn’t been given an honour yet.”

Now Michael Taylor gets in. A Collingwood player gets in but not for playing at Collingwood. I’m surprised they even bothered saying he played for us. I think he was VC at one stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It makes me sad when I think about Collingwood getting overlooked for statues at the MCG or players in the VFL/AFL Team of the Century.
We are a truly hated club.
For a club that had won so many Premierships in the20th century, including a never repeated four in a row, the lack of a single player in the team of the century was pure Collingwood racism.

I think one of the biggest issues is the size of the initial induction and the relatively VFL centric view. Perhaps there was a desire to keep it small, so as it not diminish the honour, but there’s a huge backlog of deserving players. I like that they’ve upped the intake in recent years, but it still leaves too few places once recent retirees are considered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back