Competitions AFL Mock Draft 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pick23 Fremantle select. Oscar Morrison

View attachment 1274732

Pick24 StKilda select Sam Breuer

View attachment 1274734

Id not be disappointed to see either of these guys in hoops as Rookies..pretty good value at these picks I think

West Coast up

I knew you'd take him after discussing him on the draft and trade board the other day, haha...Bah, now I have to think of what to do with my last pick, as I was hoping Morrison might make it through to mine - as I'd definitely like to see him the hoops (especially if it's only for a rookie pick)

Last edited:

I knew you'd take him after discussing him on the draft and trade board the other day, haha...Bah, now I have to think of what to do with my last pick, as I was hoping Morrison might make it through to mine - as I'd definitely like to see him the hoops (especially if it's only for a rookie pick)

I think we could use him, so Im a bit biased balancing Freo/Stkild needs with my personal tastes. There were several players id might have considered, it would have been easy to pick a delisted player but where is the fun in that.

I think we could use him, so Im a bit biased balancing Freo/Stkild needs with my personal tastes. There were several players id might have considered, it would have been easy to pick a delisted player but where is the fun in that.
Most of the rookie spots on the night will be sides moving players theyve already committed to keeping to the rookie list, so this is only really a bit of fun anyway.

Do you have numbers? I doubt it will be most. There will be some but most of the players taken will be players missed for some reason imo.
Just look at last year, 26 rookies taken and 11 were sides moving guys from their senior list to rookie list, then Menadue,Goldsack and Townsend were taken as mature agers that had already been in the system, only a handful of kids will get their opportunity through this draft and is why I'm a big advocate for removing the rookie list altogether.

To me the rookie draft should genuinely be providing kids overlooked in the main draft another chance to enter an AFL system, not a place for sides to just manipulate their list or add 25 plus year olds, current system is massively flawed for mine.

Last edited:
Just look at last year, 26 rookies taken and 11 were sides moving guys from their senior list to rookie list, then Menadue,Goldsack and Townsend were taken as mature agers that had already been in the system, only a handful of kids will get their opportunity through this draft and is why I'm a big advocate for removing the rookie list altogether.

To me the rookie draft should genuinely be providing kids overlooked in the main draft another chance to enter an AFL system, not a place for sides to just manipulate their list or add 25 plus year olds, current system is massively flawed for mine.

Everything about this is so spot on - and I completely agree. System needs a revamp, as it's just not working as it should

Can't believe our luck that this player is still available for us.
JAKE SOLIGO.
Excellent Eastern Ranges gun mid, slightly overshadowed by Sonsie, but very consistent and effective.
Will likely go second round
There are few better competitors than Soligo, a player who works hard both ways and gets his hands dirty for the team. Built strongly for a 179cm prospect, the 18-year-old wins his own ball with clean hands and releases runners to the outer, showcasing a sound inside game. When the ball doesn’t fall his way, he chases and pressures the opposition, averaging 6.3 tackles in seven NAB League games this season.

After a steady start to the year, Soligo averaged 26.5 disposals in his final four outings and began to take on more responsibility as a primary ball winner in the wake of Sonsie’s late-season injury. His accumulative factor was high, racking up the ball in all parts of the ground and successfully impacting contest after contest.

In possession, Soligo is really slick and effective by hand. He’s a quick thinker and has good spacial awareness in tight spots, combined with the agility to get out of trouble. With that combination of smarts and evasiveness, Soligo could make better use of his kicks once he manufactures the right amount of time and space.

While able to pump the ball a fair way, including with set shots from around the 50-metre arc, Soligo sometimes blazes away long and is not as sharp as he could be with each disposal. His style is more accumulative than outright damaging, although he often works to win back balls he has turned over with a long kick out of congestion.

Clean midfielders like Lachie Neale, who hover just below the 180cm mark, can still have great success at AFL level. Soligo fits that bracket with his stoppage nous and competitiveness, but will likely also have to rotate forward. He did so for Vic Metro and kicked goals in four of his seven games, showing glimpses of that required versatility. With his ground level play and pressure game, he could be quite effective in the front half.

Last edited:

I have said for sometime...the Rookie list needs to go. Is been convoluted and has gone beyond its original intent. You are either on the list or not... after that give short term contracts a try. The demotion of players to the rookie list is just a mechanism to get to the best available talent before others.

Most of the rookie spots on the night will be sides moving players theyve already committed to keeping to the rookie list, so this is only really a bit of fun anyway.
Your go I believe

ShaunWDT

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney select Jack Avery.
Height: 190cm
Weight: 83kg

POSITION:
General Defender

Cameron_Jezza You're up

I would have taken him if dittmar wasnt there he showed some real promise at wafl level this year.

I would have taken him if dittmar wasnt there he showed some real promise at wafl level this year.
Dont think hell be there in the real stuff, unlucky to not get picked up last year and took further strides this season, should go main draft with WAFL experience and a severe lack of defenders available.

Last edited:
Dont think hell be there in the real stuff, unlucky to not get picked up last year and took further strides this season,

A lot of names that this will apply to this season I reckon - result of such an incredibly even draft will be a lot of unlucky names who should be drafted and could end up in the MSD next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back