Expansion AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Angus Young

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2008
The Gunge Farm
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don't think it's so much a pissing contest as a rivalry - much of which is generated by the NRL. Do you ever hear the AFL CEO referring to the NRL much less belittling the game? Do you hear AFL sports shows going out of their way to joke about another sport (I even think the NRL Footy Show used to have an 'AFL character' they used to laugh at) And when it comes down to the media, some Sydney and Queensland journalists, built a career writing about the terrible game played down south.

On top of this, its the lies. The NRL for decades, tried to deceive people with their financial and participation numbers. While the AFL have always been very transparent, the NRL have deliberately with held their figures and talking up their ratings. Now even their ratings are poor.

I think everyone should be entitled to watch and enjoy whatever sport they like. I know I like multiple sports and it would seem you at least have an interest in AFL. I'm never going to bag you out about that - why can't people enjoy both codes? What does upset AFL supporters is, that many NRL media outlets/officals/supporters not only don't like to watch AFL but also try and convince the world not to either! People can prefer NRL over AFL, but don't put down our sport!

In the end, we are not death-riding the NRL. Rather, we're applauding the rise of AFL. I think the NRL will always be supported in Australia, I just feel that the AFL will become increasingly popular in NSW and Queensland too. I think we should all feel comfortable supporting whatever code or team we like but expect some banter because after-all, as Aussies Sports Lovers, that's what we all like to do! :laughv1:
100 per cent... Lots of NRL fans are completely obsessed with hating on AFL because it's the biggest sport in the country. It's called having an inferior complex.
They are angry they are not number 1 and it pisses them off to no end.

Hence... GAYFL, Aerial Ping Pong, Fumbleball, no skills etc. When you hear someone say that stuff you just know straight away they are a complete moron.

Do you hear them trolling basketball, soccer etc. NO because they are not bigger nor a threat.

AFL fans just don't care. But in their minds they think AFL fans think the same way. Reality is the majority of AFL fans don't give a fk.

You won't hear the AFL chief bagging NRL to the media..he's too professional. By acting the way they do they just alienate people from their game... but they are too dumb to see the bigger picture at play.

Both games are completely different and I personally enjoy both.

Mister M

Fighting Furies Fan Club Organiser
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fighting Furies
100 per cent... Lots of NRL fans are completely obsessed with hating on AFL because it's the biggest sport in the country. It's called having an inferior complex.

Hence... GAYFL, Aerial Ping Pong, Fumbleball, no skills etc. When you hear someone say that stuff you just know straight away they are a complete moron.
Can we have a discussion without using ableist language to insult the other perspective?

raskolnikov

Premium Platinum
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Lions, Suns

Do you hear them trolling basketball, soccer etc. NO because they are not bigger nor a threat.

AFL fans just don't care. But in their minds they think AFL fans think the same way. Reality is the majority of AFL fans don't give a fk.

You won't hear the AFL chief bagging NRL to the media..he's too professional. By acting the way they do they just alienate people from their game... but they are too dumb to see the bigger picture at play.

Both games are completely different and I personally enjoy both.
I heard a lot more disparaging comments about Rugby League when I was l living in Victoria than I do about AFL living in Queensland. The comments I have heard are about not understanding the game and given the inconsistency with umpiring these days they have a valid point.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
SMH R. Masters 31.5.21

P. V'landys said

"My biggest concern is the millions we have spent on participation, with little result (referring to GR contact RL nos.). The results are poor, but we're not cutting back. The states will get a fair whack of the $40m in funding [for GR] assigned to Project Climb (designed to boost contact nos.)...".

In contrast, NSWRL & QRL officials say their "participation" nos. are increasing (but they are including players in non-contact tag/touch comps. etc.; & V'landys refers, in the link below, to the States' official RL "participant" nos. including non-contact tag players).

NSWRL CEO D. Trodden says, that of the 87000+ participants in NSW, 22,473 are females!
(The reality is that only a small % of these 22,473 females are enrolled in club RL Minis -a genuine contact RL pathway, up to U10 with no tackling; & older jnr female & snr female contact RL comps.).

Last edited:

Gigantor

Brownlow Medallist
May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
I heard a lot more disparaging comments about Rugby League when I was l living in Victoria than I do about AFL living in Queensland. The comments I have heard are about not understanding the game and given the inconsistency with umpiring these days they have a valid point.
People in Victoria making disparaging remarks about League?
Mate, there was a time when 99.99% of Victorians didn't even know what League was, so how can they make disparaging remarks about it?
You're more likely to get a disparaging remark from a rugby fan than you are from an AFL fan.
As someone said above, the vast majority of AFL fans never, ever give League a moment's thought.

raskolnikov

Premium Platinum
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Lions, Suns
People in Victoria making disparaging remarks about League?
Mate, there was a time when 99.99% of Victorians didn't even know what League was, so how can they make disparaging remarks about it?
You're more likely to get a disparaging remark from a rugby fan than you are from an AFL fan.
As someone said above, the vast majority of AFL fans never, ever give League a moment's thought.
If I mention AFL here in Queensland I generally just get a blank stare. Not too many people give a hoot about it.

Gigantor

Brownlow Medallist
May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
If I mention AFL here in Queensland I generally just get a blank stare. Not too many people give a hoot about it.
Yeh, ok, so what.
You're original comment was about hearing disparaging remarks about League in Victoria, and that didn't really have the ring of truth about it.
You've sort of confirmed my suspicion with your response.

raskolnikov

Premium Platinum
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Lions, Suns
Yeh, ok, so what.
You're original comment was about hearing disparaging remarks about League in Victoria, and that didn't really have the ring of truth about it.
You've sort of confirmed my suspicion with your response.

Stop being disingenuous.

Lord_Flashheart

Chicken Twisty Epicurean
Oct 28, 2009
The Whore Tree
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Coney Island Dockers
I do, born in Queensland and lived here all my life. My adult children are now fans as well, in fact my daughter went to her boyfriends party for SOO and was sending messages asking what the fu** she was watching? She didn’t like it at all.

raskolnikov

Premium Platinum
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Lions, Suns
I do, born in Queensland and lived here all my life. My adult children are now fans as well, in fact my daughter went to her boyfriends party for SOO and was sending messages asking what the fu** she was watching? She didn’t like it at all.
Agree. That's not what I'm saying though. There are lots of people in Qld who have taken an interest in AFL. The ones who haven't though just give you a blank stare. I very rarely hear a disparaging comment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SSSSSS

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Six decades of domination
Helps that the Bronco's have been absolutely sh*t. No one wants to talk about 'footy' at the moment. Everyone seems to be much more interested in talking about 'AFL'.

loki04

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Do you read the papers in Queensland? Is there anymore AFL content than usual?
From what I am hearing, there isn't anymore interest in AFL in Queensland in the media before this pandemic.

There is probably more interest coming out of the USA than the NRL states.
I recently moved to Bowen in QLD and was shocked at how many people like AFL but NRL is clearly the number 1 sport here.

I was expecting nothing but AFL hate like I get from all the qld and kiwis at work in the mining industry. gAyFL, fumbleball, girls game, soft, aerial pingpong etc.
But there was a decent contingent who followed both sports and had an AFL team. There is still a bit of that but no where near what I thought it would be.

It is not close to NRL in popularity but its definitely got a following here and all live free to air games on 7 mate are genuinely live.

loki04

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
One very basic fact that most Victorians cannot comprehend is SOO Game 1 gets more TV viewers than the AFL Grand Final.
That's because everyone wants to see the fights and big hits that soo usually produces, its funny violence and aggression in sport is condemned these days but all the biggest views also come from those incidents. Funny that.

Bjo187

Senior List
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
That's because everyone wants to see the fights and big hits that soo usually produces, its funny violence and aggression in sport is condemned these days but all the biggest views also come from those incidents. Funny that.
It's incorrect, soo 1 got 1.9 million viewers, last year's afl grand final got 3.8 million viewers, so i'm not sure where will hayward is getting his facts from.

Cringle

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 14, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Everyone in QLD watches State of Origin.

Significantly less watch any Rugby League games over the weekend.

Most people will say they’re into League and support a team but not actually watch any games. Maybe check the score.

Gigantor

Brownlow Medallist
May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
Helps that the Bronco's have been absolutely sh*t. No one wants to talk about 'footy' at the moment. Everyone seems to be much more interested in talking about 'AFL'.
Although the Lions had 7 or 8 woeful seasons not too far back.

Remove this Banner Ad