AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
SMH R. Masters 31.5.21

P. V'landys said

"My biggest concern is the millions we have spent on participation, with little result (referring to GR contact RL nos.). The results are poor, but we're not cutting back. The states will get a fair whack of the $40m in funding [for GR] assigned to Project Climb (designed to boost contact nos.)...".

In contrast, NSWRL & QRL officials say their "participation" nos. are increasing (but they are including players in non-contact tag/touch comps. etc.; & V'landys refers, in the link below, to the States' official RL "participant" nos. including non-contact tag players).

NSWRL CEO D. Trodden says, that of the 87000+ participants in NSW, 22,473 are females!
(The reality is that only a small % of these 22,473 females are enrolled in club RL Minis -a genuine contact RL pathway, up to U10 with no tackling; & older jnr female & snr female contact RL comps.).

Last edited:
May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
I heard a lot more disparaging comments about Rugby League when I was l living in Victoria than I do about AFL living in Queensland. The comments I have heard are about not understanding the game and given the inconsistency with umpiring these days they have a valid point.

People in Victoria making disparaging remarks about League?
Mate, there was a time when 99.99% of Victorians didn't even know what League was, so how can they make disparaging remarks about it?
You're more likely to get a disparaging remark from a rugby fan than you are from an AFL fan.
As someone said above, the vast majority of AFL fans never, ever give League a moment's thought.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
People in Victoria making disparaging remarks about League?
Mate, there was a time when 99.99% of Victorians didn't even know what League was, so how can they make disparaging remarks about it?
You're more likely to get a disparaging remark from a rugby fan than you are from an AFL fan.
As someone said above, the vast majority of AFL fans never, ever give League a moment's thought.

If I mention AFL here in Queensland I generally just get a blank stare. Not too many people give a hoot about it.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
If I mention AFL here in Queensland I generally just get a blank stare. Not too many people give a hoot about it.

Yeh, ok, so what.
You're original comment was about hearing disparaging remarks about League in Victoria, and that didn't really have the ring of truth about it.
You've sort of confirmed my suspicion with your response.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns

Yeh, ok, so what.
You're original comment was about hearing disparaging remarks about League in Victoria, and that didn't really have the ring of truth about it.
You've sort of confirmed my suspicion with your response.

Stop being disingenuous.

I do, born in Queensland and lived here all my life. My adult children are now fans as well, in fact my daughter went to her boyfriends party for SOO and was sending messages asking what the * she was watching? She didn’t like it at all.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I do, born in Queensland and lived here all my life. My adult children are now fans as well, in fact my daughter went to her boyfriends party for SOO and was sending messages asking what the fu** she was watching? She didn’t like it at all.

Agree. That's not what I'm saying though. There are lots of people in Qld who have taken an interest in AFL. The ones who haven't though just give you a blank stare. I very rarely hear a disparaging comment.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Yet here we are on an AFL forum discussing Rugby League. I've never seen AFL discussed on League Unlimited.

Sooooooooo many neutrals up here in Cairns watching tonight

Felt like it was 40% neutrals (slight Saints lead due to buying tickets through them and being home team)
35% Crows fans
25% Saints fans.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Do you read the papers in Queensland? Is there anymore AFL content than usual?
From what I am hearing, there isn't anymore interest in AFL in Queensland in the media before this pandemic.

There is probably more interest coming out of the USA than the NRL states.

I recently moved to Bowen in QLD and was shocked at how many people like AFL but NRL is clearly the number 1 sport here.

I was expecting nothing but AFL hate like I get from all the qld and kiwis at work in the mining industry. gAyFL, fumbleball, girls game, soft, aerial pingpong etc.
But there was a decent contingent who followed both sports and had an AFL team. There is still a bit of that but no where near what I thought it would be.

It is not close to NRL in popularity but its definitely got a following here and all live free to air games on 7 mate are genuinely live.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
One very basic fact that most Victorians cannot comprehend is SOO Game 1 gets more TV viewers than the AFL Grand Final.

That's because everyone wants to see the fights and big hits that soo usually produces, its funny violence and aggression in sport is condemned these days but all the biggest views also come from those incidents. Funny that.

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
That's because everyone wants to see the fights and big hits that soo usually produces, its funny violence and aggression in sport is condemned these days but all the biggest views also come from those incidents. Funny that.

It's incorrect, soo 1 got 1.9 million viewers, last year's afl grand final got 3.8 million viewers, so i'm not sure where will hayward is getting his facts from.

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
I mean the initial assertion is still incorrect, but

I did have a look the other day and saw this so thought i was comparing apples with apples. Does the afl gf figure include regionals too?

Screenshot_20210613-113956_Chrome.jpg

Back