News AFL Round 15 teams - Geelong v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Thankyou VeeDubs

The fact that Scheider etc.. missed their chances is hardly academic. The fact they were getting open shots and if they had of converted we would have lost the game really highlights a weakness. Add in Williams 4 goals in the 08 GF and I think it's indisputable

If we get into another close game in a GF we might not be that lucky. We need an answer. Wojo is part of that answer and cannot be left out of the side

We need another 1 or 2 small quick players who can play deep in defense with their backs to the goal line and with speed to run up the ground and then come back to defend the "over the back" play

I think you can add Blake to that list - he will not get dropped purely for the reason that he is our most durable player in a key post and capable of rucking out an entire game. If we went a man down in the ruck - i.e. if Ottens was unable to contribute then we just could not rely on Hawkins to hold up that position as we would loose too much ascedancy around the midfield.... For this reason Blake is a walk up to any Geelong team and I don't think Bomber would gamble otherwise.

I would agree with you however that's based on the fact that Hawk and Otto are only now returning from injury, and thus the gamble now would be a crazy one to take. Fast forward 10 or 12 weeks where both are fit as, playing as well as they were in the early rounds, and you could see why the coaching staff would feel more comfortable taking the gamble, and henceforth Blake could become vulnerable again. The other thing is if it's simply a matter of creating 1 or 2 spots, there's a number of players that could be dropped, as I gave examples of, however if the issue come GF day (or whatever final) is that we are too top heavy (depending on the opponent) then really there are only 2 players that can be dropped to deal with this-Blake or Lonergan. (assuming Mooney is not out suspended :p) So I can still see Blake possibly being vulnerable come the business end, though I should add that I think he has been playing his best ever footy this season, and good on him :thumbsu:

Thankyou VeeDubs

The fact that Scheider etc.. missed their chances is hardly academic. The fact they were getting open shots and if they had of converted we would have lost the game really highlights a weakness. Add in Williams 4 goals in the 08 GF and I think it's indisputable

If we get into another close game in a GF we might not be that lucky. We need an answer. Wojo is part of that answer and cannot be left out of the side

We need another 1 or 2 small quick players who can play deep in defense with their backs to the goal line and with speed to run up the ground and then come back to defend the "over the back" play

Wojo can't do that, he's not good as a stopper, go watch some tapes. I do agree Wojo would be essential to help break the zone etc in terms of offensiveness, but if you're suggesting he's a solution defensively then I'd say we'd be no better playing Wojo on Milne that whoever is deemed not nimble enough, in fact we may even be worse off. If there's no other options, I'd far prefer Kelly in that role to Wojo.

Kelly plays half back on guys like Goddard so tends not to play that deep

We're talking guys like the Carlton trio, Dane Beams, Schneider etc... Blokes with a bit of toe and smarts who run between the goal line and wing and back. You zone off those guys at your peril, especially if your midfield is taking a beating

Put it this way, if we played us, who would we play on Varcoe Stokes and Byrnes??

Wojac has been great this year, stopping his opponent and getting the ball himself. People tend to stick to certain theories and not look at what is happening now.

we need 3 out of the current team to bring in hawkins, mooney and johnson.. stokes would go back to the VFL and so would duncan with ease but who else? the only likely candidate is wojo?

Have watched the 09 GF 8x and each time rubs it in more that IF Milne, Schneider and Gram had been anywhere near their normal potency, we would have been out of winning contention for sure. We can not rely on their inaccuracy again. Even 2 weeks ago surely reinforces that.

Other teams will score against us in any game. They will also miss set shots and snaps, as will we.
It's immaterial that Schneider and Milne missed shots, and certainly not indicative of a major problem. We could just as easily argue that we are vulnerable to tall forwards by saying that if only Riewoldt and Kosi hadn't been spoiled or missed marks we would have lost. Teams miss shots every week. Sometimes it's smalls, sometimes it's talls.
IMO the reason we were damaged by small forwards in the Carlton game was because, as Bomber has indicated, our mids had a crap day and didn't push back hard enough. Against the Saints recently we simply weren't able to exert enough/any score-board pressure in the 2nd half. Personally I believe that was mainly because our forwards were "raped' by both the Saints defenders and poor officiating, but again, our mids have to take some blame. Let's not forget that in that game, we were missing 4 of our hardest players in Chapman, Kelly, Corey and Rooke, all very handy against a rugby side masquerading as an AFL team! And Schneider got off the leash because he had Gamble on him ffs!!
Small forwards will bob up in games and make you look slow and silly, but I repeat... name a team with a better group of small defenders than Hunt, Enright, Kelly and Wojo.

Late change: Corey out, Hogan in.

Two weeks in a row now Hogan has been a late inclusion. Let's hope our mids lift in JC's absence; he proved last week how important he is.

Thats a bugger!

Hopefully he just didn't recover fast enough, or its something minor.

Wojo can't do that, he's not good as a stopper, go watch some tapes. I do agree Wojo would be essential to help break the zone etc in terms of offensiveness, but if you're suggesting he's a solution defensively then I'd say we'd be no better playing Wojo on Milne that whoever is deemed not nimble enough, in fact we may even be worse off. If there's no other options, I'd far prefer Kelly in that role to Wojo.

Watch some tapes? How about you watch todays match and then get back to me about Wojo

Did his job defensively and offensively and definitely in our best players. You get a tight match and some players go to water but blokes like Wojo are indispensable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i know he didnt have his best day,but to go 3rd man up and tap it to chappy for our winning goal was massive by pods. and stokesy is proof that it doesnt matter if youre in the best 22,it only matters whether youre in the best performers on the day.

i know he didnt have his best day,but to go 3rd man up and tap it to chappy for our winning goal was massive by pods. and stokesy is proof that it doesnt matter if youre in the best 22,it only matters whether youre in the best performers on the day.

I thought Pods did alright. Kicked 2.1 in a relativily low scoring match and on a day that wasn't ideal for him. The only real tall forward in our line for the most part too. He did his job.

Geeez. The game has just finished on Channel 10. I missed going coz I'm crook and Geelong try to do me in completely with a heart attack.

Good result though. The correct team won.

But I don't want The Cats to have to play them in the finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back