AFL Round 2 - All The Other Games

Remove this Banner Ad

I always gave the umpires the benefit of the doubt until about a year ago - the game is ******* tough to adjudicate and the powers that be keep chopping and changing rules, interpretations and focus. But last year I started to finally realise that the quality of umpiring really has dropped off over the last few years. I don’t think I’d do any better, but * me Sydney have been shafted my the maggots tonight!

Hard for a new fan to believe THATS his favorite spot. 😳
Not much about Buddy makes sense. He's 199cm and 105kgs (6'6 and 230lbs) yet he's a a burst speed player and as skilled and agile as any player going around, rather than being a big pack busting power forward.

As others have said, watch his highlights ... you'll probably need to block out an hour

I know the last time i said this they came back from 0-6, but this year i think will be the year Sydney will miss finals

Worth looking up a highlights reel of his career. One of the all time greats

Yeah you will hear people being called greats alot but this blokes highlights can only be rivaled by Ablett Senior I'd say.

He's statue good.

Honestly I've heard the media swinging the other way on this one.

No mate the media pressure from last week, the insane over reaction by declaring it's punching season even though Cunnington barely slapped Wilson. Paul Roos an fox footy were saying it was a disgrace that Liam Jones wasn't suspended an wow look the over correction.

I can't believe how much power the media has over the game

But those are two seperate issues, punching and head-high bumping/body contact. This is more akin to the May incident and could have been predicted after it. Similar incidents with similar outcomes. Both May and Cox ran into the line of their opponent. Both Grimes and Berry not looking where they were going or protecting themselves, and both Berry and Grimes getting benched for an extended period of time. This is the point Lewis was making on AFL360, "you see that type of contact 50-100 times a game with no incident". Precedent is basically set at getting a player hard enough that they don't get straight off the ground and they stay on the bench for a while, it's ridiculous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But those are two seperate issues, punching and head-high bumping/body contact. This is more akin to the May incident and could have been predicted after it. Similar incidents with similar outcomes. Both May and Cox ran into the line of their opponent. Both Grimes and Berry not looking where they were going or protecting themselves, and both Berry and Grimes getting benched for an extended period of time. This is the point Lewis was making on AFL360, "you see that type of contact 50-100 times a game with no incident". Precedent is basically set at getting a player hard enough that they don't get straight off the ground and they stay on the bench for a while, it's ridiculous.

Did you see the free kick against Jones last night? They've clearly made an over correction

Missed that one, sorry.

You might think I'm putting mayo on this but trust me I'm not.

Jones was coming across a crows player who was kicking inside 50, the crows player was about to kick so Jones coming from the side an behind tried to slap his arm to mess with his balance. Slapped his run area in the end. No reaction from the player and the umpire paid a free kick for a punch.

If the Cox one was soft, this was the softest free-kick in the history of the game

Did you see the free kick against Jones last night? They've clearly made an over correction
I think that was just a really poor umpiring decision rather than a massive over reaction from a rules point of view. No doubt there is an increase in awareness to that sort of thing, but the umpire just saw the swinging arm and jumped at the shadow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back