Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency X - Club has elected not to fill list spot - Davey returning from injury?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he complements the side perfectly. If we can't get Harley Reid or an out and out inside beast is going to be available, I'd happily move our first for him.

While I like him... that would be the most Dodoro acquisition ever.
Yeh im a big fan of Callaghan id consider moving out a top 6 pick for him aswell. Obviously 12 months is a long time in footy and things can change

Callaghan would cost more than just our first.
If Parish were to leave I'd comfortably trade his compo and our second (could end up as 5 and 24) for him with something back (say, Flynn if he ends up behind Preuss/Briggs

What the hell is the point is having an 18 yo ruck training on?

Draper & Bryan, Phillips as back up. McBride at a pinch.

O’Keefe would be 4 years from having any kind of impact. Why waste the spot during those years when you could just lock away Bryan?

Only thing I can imagine is that they anticipate Bryan leaving and when that happens they want to have ruckmen on the list who are 5 years apart in age so there is actual succession, rather than two competing peers.

I think there was always a strong argument for another ruck to develop. Ideally a utility or someone to develop as a dual position player.

I'd have gone with a 7' cat b project but I think the list is full.

You get so few spots for ruckmen so at some point you do just have to jump when someone you really like is available.

I think that's why even the really top line rucks, guys who are game breakers, still go relatively late. Picking a ruck is rarely the first priority, seemingly because of the delayed return on investment. But at some point it needs to be done, and the timing never looks particularly good.

Whether this guy is it, who knows. He sounds very similar to Nick Bryan. That's probably not where I'd be looking.

Last edited:
The idea around him is that Bryan is a big chance to leave and there's 6 years between O'Keeffe and Draper, putting him in that perfect age bracket where he's nearly ready by the time Draper is winding down.

The idea around him is that Bryan is a big chance to leave and there's 6 years between O'Keeffe and Draper, putting him in that perfect age bracket where he's nearly ready by the time Draper is winding down.

I dont see how Bryan is a big chance of leaving as things stand.

He struggled for games with Draper and was horrible when he got the chance.

He's still very much a work in progress physically. Which starting rucks should he be getting a game from next year?

Who has more money to pay a number 2 ruck than we do?

If he breaks out or is otherwise on the verge next year things will be different.

I dont see how Bryan is a big chance of leaving as things stand.

He struggled for games with Draper and was horrible when he got the chance.

He's still very much a work in progress physically. Which starting rucks should he be getting a game from next year?

Who has more money to pay a number 2 ruck than we do?

If he breaks out or is otherwise on the verge next year things will be different.
I can see Adelaide (if RO'B has another poor year), Carlton (I see TDK as a forward/ruck rather than the reverse and Pittonet is really average), Collingwood (if Cameron/Cox start to struggle), Geelong, Port (Lycett made out of tissue paper), St Kilda (like Marshall as a forward/ruck and he's better than Heath as things stand) and the Dogs (if Bevo is no longer there, he hates rucks) looking at him and offering a starting spot.

He's probably been one of the top 3 or 4 rucks at VFL level the last 2 years. I can easily see a scenario where he leaves and one of the above get him.

I'd say we can finish anywhere between 16th and 11th inclusive.

Hawks or North for the spoon. I see us in a group with Adelaide, GWS, Port, West Coast and maybe St Kilda or Gold Coast. Although I have both of them in finals conversation, GC especially with King back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

O’Keefe would be 4 years from having any kind of impact. Why waste the spot during those years when you could just lock away Bryan?

Only thing I can imagine is that they anticipate Bryan leaving and when that happens they want to have ruckmen on the list who are 5 years apart in age so there is actual succession, rather than two competing peers.
Maybe he will join the VFL program ? Not sure it is really an issue to have a young bloke train over summer even if he is a raw ruck.

I can see Adelaide (if RO'B has another poor year), Carlton (I see TDK as a forward/ruck rather than the reverse and Pittonet is really average), Collingwood (if Cameron/Cox start to struggle), Geelong, Port (Lycett made out of tissue paper), St Kilda (like Marshall as a forward/ruck and he's better than Heath as things stand) and the Dogs (if Bevo is no longer there, he hates rucks) looking at him and offering a starting spot.

He's probably been one of the top 3 or 4 rucks at VFL level the last 2 years. I can easily see a scenario where he leaves and one of the above get him.
Bevo just signed an extension ;)
I think what happens with Bryan depends on him going to another level and breaking into the side. If he plays good footy in the VFL but can not get a look in then he may look elsewhere but if he gets a few games he may well stay . I suspect if he does improve again he will break into the side.

Maybe he will join the VFL program ? Not sure it is really an issue to have a young bloke train over summer even if he is a raw ruck.
Yes, especially if you consider one of (or both) Bryan and Phillips could have their last year at the club. I would be fine having O'Keefe in the system and see what happens with him.

Mitch on the list hopefully.

Bevo just signed an extension ;)
I think what happens with Bryan depends on him going to another level and breaking into the side. If he plays good footy in the VFL but can not get a look in then he may look elsewhere but if he gets a few games he may well stay . I suspect if he does improve again he will break into the side.
He needs to improve his forward craft for me. I don't think we can carry two rucks with limited forward craft.

Maybe we just reckon he's ultra talented? We have a knack for picking decent ruckmen from nowhere.

Going to be another tough year for list spots come October, 2023.

The current out of contract listed guys;

Nick Bryan (priority)
Dyson Heppell (50:50)
Ben Hobbs (priority)
Alistair Lord (undecided)
AMT (50:50)
Darcy Parish (50:50)
Andrew Phillips (50:50)

Mason Redman (priority)
Will Snelling (50:50)
Peter Wright (priority)
Brandon Zerk Thatcher (priority)

Kaine Baldwin (priority)

Massimo D’Ambrosio (undecided)
Jye Menzies (50:50)
Cian McBride (Cắt B)
Rhett Montgomerie (undecided)
Anthony Munkara (Cat B)
Pat Voss (priority)

Genuinely divided on a few guys and may need to get creative to move the rookies to the senior list as we seem to be pretty well stocked there.

Nick Bryan (priority)
Ben Hobbs (priority)

Mason Redman (priority)
Peter Wright (priority)

Kaine Baldwin (priority)

Cian McBride (Cắt B)
Anthony Munkara (Cat B)
Pat Voss (priority)

Genuinely divided on a few guys and may need to get creative to move the rookies to the senior list as we seem to be pretty well stocked there.
Id have massimo as a priority.
Kids kicking alone is worth the contract.

Agree on bryan. 2 years would be good for us to see what he can do. But i think the ball may be out of our court there.

Nick Bryan (priority)
Ben Hobbs (priority)

Mason Redman (priority)
Peter Wright (priority)

Kaine Baldwin (priority)

Cian McBride (Cắt B)
Anthony Munkara (Cat B)
Pat Voss (priority)

A few guys like Baldwin, McBride, Menzies and Lord will be struggling to stay on the list unless they really perform.

I think all of them showed enough in 2022 to deserve the extra year, but have to progress in 2023 to stay on after that.

With McGrath going back and Redman really going up a level, along with D'Ambrosio being able to play off a HBF I think Lord will need to show he's too good for the VFL to stay on next year.

A few guys like Baldwin, McBride, Menzies and Lord will be struggling to stay on the list unless they really perform.

I think all of them showed enough in 2022 to deserve the extra year, but have to progress in 2023 to stay on after that.

With McGrath going back and Redman really going up a level, along with D'Ambrosio being able to play off a HBF I think Lord will need to show he's too good for the VFL to stay on next year.
I was just trying to be polite (re "undecided")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back