Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency X - Club has elected not to fill list spot - Davey returning from injury?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think the club views SSP/MSD selections the same as fans. They have shown a tendency not to use all of those picks available just to have a full list.
I think there is more of a view to commitment and development in the longer term. Hence, keeping a spot open is a real possibility.

Last edited:
I don’t think the club views SSP/MSD selections the same as fans. They have shown a tendency not to use all of those picks available just to have a full list.
I think there is more of a view to commitment and development in the longer term. Hence, keeping a spot open is a real possibility.
It is a very real possibility. But it will only occur in the event where they don't find 2 players they believe to be worthy of filling the 2 vacancies. The spots aren't a free handout, but if there's 2 players they like, who want to play for us, they will get a contract. Nothing surer.

It is a very real possibility. But it will only occur in the event where they don't find 2 players they believe to be worthy of filling the 2 vacancies. The spots aren't a free handout, but if there's 2 players they like, who want to play for us, they will get a contract. Nothing surer.
Yes, I agree. I kind of get the feeling that they don't rate the back end of the draft. This is mainly based on picking McDonagh when they did. They have also had a lot of time to observe Wanganeen in training already and have still chosen to pass on him. FWIW I hope they do use the two picks, I'd use one on a ready-to-go small forward as a backup. (My opinion) is that the club might not rate the pool left very highly.

Clarke and fejo for mine
tex develops in nab for a year
clarke has not let us down at senior level and provides depth
he Is also an elite person around the club who is very popular with players
gleeson was popular too but was not up to it

Clarke and fejo for mine
If we don't sign Tex, doesn't that mean any other club could? Nothing would be stopping him from going to Port Adelaide.

If we don't sign Tex, doesn't that mean any other club could? Nothing would be stopping him from going to Port Adelaide.
They don't have a list spot available

Clarke and fejo for mine
What possible reason could we have to sign Clarke?

As soon as we got Hobbs that was his papers stamped.

Clarke is apparently training with Saints so maybe he sees more chance there ?

While:
Ned Cahill to Carlton VFL
Lachlan Johnson to Richmond VFL
Gleeson ??

I still would like Tex and Fejo jr based on need. Tex is low risk and you can have a good look at him in VFL conditions and see how he fares- like Hird.
Fejo seems obvious why we'd take him.

We also have that WA kid (Martin ?) coming to train in a few days, we'll see how he goes.

Clarke and fejo for mine
We aren't re-signing Clarke, regardless of what happens to the others.

I didn't think it would be possible for Tex to play his way onto the list in such a short space of time.

But reports are that he's doing pretty special things.

There will be a reasonable question of whether it's all just a factor because he's Gav's boy.

The way I look at it, at least so far, is that it's the reverse of the usual JHA scenario. If he was Fejo, who he's outshining, there wouldn't be any hesitation. It's only because we know Tex hasn't been close to ready in the not too distant past that his signing is being second-guessed.

If his form is what it has been reported to be and it is maintained into the first month of 2022 I'd start contract talks.

We've got room and a need for both players as a forward and defender/wingman. Hopefully RFJ and Tex hit the ground running on their return in Jan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As great as it is having all of Tex, Lord, Fejo, Davey, Davey it's asking alot to produce in years 1 and 2. Also asking alot of ageing Dev and Tippa the latter who also has far more challenges than just age it seems right now

Lonie I'd be confident would give far more as a 26/27 year old.

At worse he gives super effort to defensive pressure inside the front half and history shows he probably avgs a goal a game in a middle of the road side. I'd expect us to be far better than that in 2023

We don't need 18/19 year olds in 2022 and 2023 we need mature aged guys for a year or two

I'd hate for us to be in the hitting zone in 2023 and either relying on a first year Davey or Dev Smith as small forwards.

I don't think there's a huge difference between a Spargo and Lonie
I think young mids will cover that gap, Perkins and Hobbs.

Yes, I agree. I kind of get the feeling that they don't rate the back end of the draft. This is mainly based on picking McDonagh when they did. They have also had a lot of time to observe Wanganeen in training already and have still chosen to pass on him. FWIW I hope they do use the two picks, I'd use one on a ready-to-go small forward as a backup. (My opinion) is that the club might not rate the pool left very highly.
Is this a reference to last year or this year? Because nobody can be signed until January 10th.

Izak Rankine now becomes our main target in 10 months time

Get some indigenous talent back in the red and black

Another lacklustre year and his value wouldnt be stupid i wouldnt think

Rankine and a Davey or 2 could be menicing

Jamie Elliott would be interesting for a couple of years. UFA, if we have a good year and Collingwood struggle again, he might be tempted to come to a stronger side. Josh Honey from Carlton has tricks too, but struggled to get a game last year so he might be tempted over as well.

Problem is, if he's having a lacklustre year it's almost definitely attitude related. The kid has talent coming out his eyeballs.

Problem is, if he's having a lacklustre year it's almost definitely attitude related. The kid has talent coming out his eyeballs.
Playing for the suns i imagine could affect most ppls attitudes

Obviousily youd love a swallow or touk attitude but cant have everything

Isn’t Cody Brand and Josh Eyrie indigenous hope you don’t mind me coming here asking a question

Playing for the suns i imagine could affect most ppls attitudes

Obviousily youd love a swallow or touk attitude but cant have everything

He's got a lot of FIGJAM about him. That's not always coachable. So far, he hasn't appeared to be the coachable kind despite his copious talent.

Still have our four train-on players: Dylan Clarke, Ronald Fejo, Nick Martin, Tex Wanganeen.

Two spots available, definitely going to sign at least one of them.

Mahoney interview on SEN this morning:

Bombers set to add to list ahead of season​

GM of football Josh Mahoney forecasts at least one more recruit ahead of the season.

General manager of football Josh Mahoney says Essendon will add at least one more recruit to its list ahead of the 2022 season.

The Bombers have two list spots available and until the eve of the season to sign players through the pre-season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP).

Among those vying for contracts are four train-on players - delisted midfielder Dylan Clarke, Darwin prospect Ronald Fejo, Subiaco forward Nick Martin and James Hird Academy graduate Tex Wanganeen.

"We’ve got four guys training on for those two spots. We’ve got right up to the start of the season to make that decision," Mahoney told SEN 1116 on Monday.

"At this stage we’re definitely taking one. Whether we take a second, we’ll make up our mind about that.

"Obviously there’s the mid-season opportunity to bring a player in, and Michael Hurley’s recovery has probably been ahead of schedule, so there’s a few things playing out at the moment, but we look forward to making an announcement at some point about adding another player to our list."

The Bombers surged into finals last year in their first season under senior coach Ben Rutten, with shrewd trades, high-end draft picks and positional changes rejuvenating their list.

Mahoney said there was plenty of room for improvement in the list, however, forecasting a new forward mix in particular this season.

"Our strength is in our midfield. Our midfield group is well established. They’ve played a lot of footy together now, and we look forward to having Dylan Shiel and Andy McGrath back in there playing full seasons," he said.

"We saw Jake Stringer go in there last year, and we think we’re adding a lot of players who can run through that position, which is very important. We see that with the best teams, they have eight or nine guys run through it.

"We think our defence really took shape last year. A lot of guys went through defence after playing different positions, like Jayden Laverde and James Stewart. We think adding [unrestricted free agent] Jake Kelly strengthens that defence a lot.

"Up forward there’s a different mix. We’ve got Harry Jones coming through, who missed the last bit of the season. Peter Wright came in last year and had a good season. Cale Hooker is a big out in terms of experience, but we’ll think be able to manufacture a good forward line that we can keep building on to kick winning scores.

"We’ve got Kaine Baldwin on our rookie list who’s training really well at the moment. He’s a key-position forward.

"We’ve got a few younger guys like Josh Eyre who we’ve drafted. There are some young guys, but how quickly they can come on is the question.

"We’ve certainly gone to the draft in the last couple of years and think we’ve done quite well in our selections there. We want to give those guys some games, but we’re always looking at bringing in players through the trade period."

The Bombers will have their first hitout against opposition when they face the Western Bulldogs later this month.

They'll round out their pre-season campaign against St Kilda at Marvel Stadium on March 5, before their round one clash with Geelong at the MCG on March 19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back