Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we trading out Parish because that's the only way LDU can come. I'm definitely interested given his age and the type of player he is, but someone needs to make way in the middle.
That would be an interesting swap. Parish has always slightly outperformed LDU until this year, but given LDU is 2 years younger I'd say that bumps his value up a bit. Not to mention the pre-agent stuff for LDU.

If we could manufacture Parish for LDU with some steak knives (maybe Baldwin if he comes back well) going their way it would be a big thing.

That would be an interesting swap. Parish has always slightly outperformed LDU until this year, but given LDU is 2 years younger I'd say that bumps his value up a bit. Not to mention the pre-agent stuff for LDU.

If we could manufacture Parish for LDU with some steak knives (maybe Baldwin if he comes back well) going their way it would be a big thing.

LDU would also fill the hole that Setterfield has been occupying as a bigger body in the middle, though with Durham and Caldwell both smashing in we look less desperate for that.

Nonetheless I'd say swapping Setterfield for LDU would be an improvement, and then still working out where Parish fits alongside it (or not at all).

I think we go for a role player, someone that can come in and fill a gap for the 12 - 18 months they are here.

Snelling fulfilled the role we brought him in for. Durham exceeding expectations. Hunter was tracking well before injury.

If we can go for a similar early 20’s kid in a position we need, id be ok with that. Who is the kid from Collingwood VFL? The mid/small forward with a few tricks? Sounds a likely type id like to see more of

I have been driving the bandwagon for a while now but the guy you are looking for is Connor Stone of GWS.

He was 2020 draft and has had a few issues getting his body right. He's also stuck behind the depth at GWS. He plays as a half forward at 188cm with elite athleticism, repeat sprinting / speed is a real strength. His skills are good. Comes with Matt Rendell's seal of approval too.

Across the 3 VFL matches GWS have played this season he is averaging 2.7 goals (8 goals kicked as 2 + 3 + 3), 17 possessions 3 tackles and 2 and a bit clearances. Averages are skewed by a quite R1 as I think he was working back from injury.

Hopefully he gets through the season unscathed. It would be like adding another Perkins to the list.

As much as I like LDU he is another who will take up draft picks to get the deal done and my view is we stay in the top end of the draft. Even if we continual our good form I am still looking to stay in the draft and look at free agents and not jump into deals that will involve multiple years of draft picks leaving.

I have been driving the bandwagon for a while now but the guy you are looking for is Connor Stone of GWS.

He was 2020 draft and has had a few issues getting his body right. He's also stuck behind the depth at GWS. He plays as a half forward at 188cm with elite athleticism, repeat sprinting / speed is a real strength. His skills are good. Comes with Matt Rendell's seal of approval too.

Across the 3 VFL matches GWS have played this season he is averaging 2.7 goals (8 goals kicked as 2 + 3 + 3), 17 possessions 3 tackles and 2 and a bit clearances. Averages are skewed by a quite R1 as I think he was working back from injury.

Hopefully he gets through the season unscathed. It would be like adding another Perkins to the list.
Would be interesting what they ask for him given he is out of contract now.

LDU would also fill the hole that Setterfield has been occupying as a bigger body in the middle, though with Durham and Caldwell both smashing in we look less desperate for that.

Nonetheless I'd say swapping Setterfield for LDU would be an improvement, and then still working out where Parish fits alongside it (or not at all).
Parish and ldu wouldn’t work together

Surely we don't need more mids? For once this is an area of the ground where we have significant depth and talent.

We should be targeting small forwards and half backs. If we get another gun half back we can release Nic Martin back onto a wing/ midfield and get rid of Kelly.

LDU only if we trade Parish.

As much as I like LDU he is another who will take up draft picks to get the deal done and my view is we stay in the top end of the draft. Even if we continual our good form I am still looking to stay in the draft and look at free agents and not jump into deals that will involve multiple years of draft picks leaving.
couple of firsts I’d reckon. Didn’t work out to swimmingly last time we sold the farm for a gun midfielder

I wouldn’t mind a midfielder taken at a later pick to spend time developing in the VFL, I think a wing or a flanker is probably the greater need right now
One I’m pretty interested in is Culley from WC. Hasn’t had a great run of it but was pretty encouraging the few afl games he’s played. Keen to see how he goes throughout the year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

couple of firsts I’d reckon. Didn’t work out to swimmingly last time we sold the farm for a gun midfielder
Did not work out for sure once Shiel got injured and the fact we where not really in that spot list wise but I would argue we did not sell the farm and if we did it was only an acreage property.

Surely we don't need more mids? For once this is an area of the ground where we have significant depth and talent.

We should be targeting small forwards and half backs. If we get another gun half back we can release Nic Martin back onto a wing/ midfield and get rid of Kelly.

LDU only if we trade Parish.
that's my thought process, i reckon we're overflowing with talent presently and adding even more will only hurt us in the long run i reckon

Did not work out for sure once Shiel got injured and the fact we where not really in that spot list wise but I would argue we did not sell the farm and if we did it was only an acreage property.

Could have been Zak Butters and Sam De Koning. That's Jindabyne farmland.

Would be interesting what they ask for him given he is out of contract now.

Assuming he gets through the season at the current level, I'd gladly give up a second round pick for him.

That probably shouldn't be necessary for a player who is out of contract and who isn't really in best 22 contention. But we'd likely be having the same fight everyone has with McCartney so even R2 might not be considered reasonable. I'm not entirely convinced McCartney would be wrong.

I'm probably about to curse Stone but someone could be getting a real steal. He'll be a 5th year player next year and ready to hit the ground running. We'd have to get into his ear now so that he doesn't do something stupid like O'Halloran and sign another contract.

He's the type of player you genuinely can't have too many of, that mid-sized athlete that can play basically every 'small' role from flank to flank.

Last edited:
Assuming he gets through the season at the current level, I'd gladly give up a second round pick for him.

That probably shouldn't be necessary for a player who is out of contract and who isn't really in best 22 contention. But we'd likely be having the same fight everyone has with McCartney so even R2 might not be considered reasonable. I'm not entirely convinced McCartney would be wrong.

I'm probably about to curse Stone but someone could be getting a real steal. He'll be a 5th year player next year and ready to hit the ground running. We'd have to get into his ear now so that he doesn't do something stupid like O'Halloran and sign another contract.

He's the type of player you genuinely can't have too many of, that mid-sized athlete that can play basically every 'small' role from flank to flank.
He is in the age group that I would be happy to spend a draft pick on for a trade and as you say he has some scope .

Could have been Zak Butters and Sam De Koning. That's Jindabyne farmland.
It could have been Jackson Hately and Cooper Stevens as well. All I know is the direct picks we gave up did not totally burn us in the end.

It was a lot then, Shiel was a good player but not a top tier mid in the comp. We certainly thought the list was in a good spot to bring in Saad, Smith and Shiel and send out a lot of picks

It could have been Jackson Hately and Cooper Stevens as well. All I know is the direct picks we gave up did not totally burn us in the end.
Once the trade has played out and hasn't eventuated in positivity for the list, you have to view the trade with a critical eye in regards to the missed opportunity. Reality is bad but it didn't have to be, therefore they did a poor job. If there wasn't very good talent around those picks then it could still be an acceptable/forgivable decision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back