Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Tweeted today

- Neither AFLW website is updated with any practice scores - 1 retweet - Facebook updated 6 hours ago - Leading goalscorer from last year injured? No news - Jess Duffin in a WBBL Semi Final - no mutual publicity - Alex Rance has grown a beard - NEWS!

The issue isnt just the lack of paid marketing, that costs serious coin done well.

Its that we just had a round of the first inter club practice matches, a couple of them streamed. The AFL has hardly put out so much as a tweet. They haven't even bothered to retweet the tweets put out by the clubs.

Having someone who is already sitting in head office checking the social media accounts of the clubs every few hours, and just putting it out to a wider audience on the AFL media accounts cost nothing, and takes almost no time.

5 scratch matches. Adelaide's number 1 ruck looks like she has done an ACL. GWS smashed Brisbane. Number of mentions from the AFLW twitter account. 1 retweet of a Brisbane tweet. Thats it.

Instagram posts from the AFLW account, 1.

AFLNT produced a high quality commentated stream of the Freo Crows game. There isnt a mention or link of it anywhere on any AFL or AFLW account I can see. How is that possible?
I know I would've liked at least a wrap-up of the matches updated on the website throughout the day. But before today there hasn't been anything (other than some stuff I alluded to earlier) that's got me thinking "gee, why isn't the league doing x y and z differently, it would really make a much-needed difference".

Tweeted today

- Neither AFLW website is updated with any practice scores - 1 retweet - Facebook updated 6 hours ago - Leading goalscorer from last year injured? No news - Jess Duffin in a WBBL Semi Final - no mutual publicity - Alex Rance has grown a beard - NEWS!

The issue isnt just the lack of paid marketing, that costs serious coin done well.

Its that we just had a round of the first inter club practice matches, a couple of them streamed. The AFL has hardly put out so much as a tweet. They haven't even bothered to retweet the tweets put out by the clubs.

Having someone who is already sitting in head office checking the social media accounts of the clubs every few hours, and just putting it out to a wider audience on the AFL media accounts cost nothing, and takes almost no time.

5 scratch matches. Adelaide's number 1 ruck looks like she has done an ACL. GWS smashed Brisbane. Number of mentions from the AFLW twitter account. 1 retweet of a Brisbane tweet. Thats it.

Instagram posts from the AFLW account, 1.

AFLNT produced a high quality commentated stream of the Freo Crows game. There isnt a mention or link of it anywhere on any AFL or AFLW account I can see. How is that possible?
This is a bang-on statement, and the problem with the AFL going forward. There is very little support. You have to really search for an AFLW promotion on social media, but you can find plenty for the AFLX. There was no single announcement of squads at all - even at the WB v Coll game in Ballarat yesterday, in attendance, there was no team list on the scoreboard, nothing. I was googling aflw player lists to figure out the names of Collingwood's revamped midfield. Brooke Lochland went down with a nasty injury and if you weren't following the right people on Twitter or in attendance, you'd be none the wiser. Insane!

Dont forget the BBL is on and is getting plenty of attention and they have announced their extended season this year into February will be permanent, and interestingly their crowds are down and ratings are up to this point.
The saving grace for the AFLW is the FTA coverage that is coming. Sports currently absolutely have to be on FTA to attract the fans.
There will be a reason for the AFL`s attitude to the AFLW currently and nobody knows why outside the environs of AFL House.
We were originally led to believe that AFLX was going offshore to Hong Kong??? and other places to assist the lack of Ovals etc.

Dont forget the BBL is on and is getting plenty of attention and they have announced their extended season this year into February will be permanent, and interestingly their crowds are down and ratings are up to this point.
The saving grace for the AFLW is the FTA coverage that is coming. Sports currently absolutely have to be on FTA to attract the fans.
There will be a reason for the AFL`s attitude to the AFLW currently and nobody knows why outside the environs of AFL House.
We were originally led to believe that AFLX was going offshore to Hong Kong??? and other places to assist the lack of Ovals etc.

I remember the AFL saying they didn't want the AFLW to start earlier and be a 9 round plus finals season as they wanted clear air.

BUT... (due to the current cricket rights deal) there has been ZERO sport on Channel 7 on a Saturday night during January.
They AFLW could have been running with double-headers on Ch7 in this timeslot and been pulling the school holidays crowd - missed oppourtunity.

I remember the AFL saying they didn't want the AFLW to start earlier and be a 9 round plus finals season as they wanted clear air.

BUT... (due to the current cricket rights deal) there has been ZERO sport on Channel 7 on a Saturday night during January.
They AFLW could have been running with double-headers on Ch7 in this timeslot and been pulling the school holidays crowd - missed oppourtunity.

You seem to be under the impression that the AFL had the power to insist on being played on chanel 7 on saturday nights in January?

The AFL have always wanted to avoid the Australian Open. Regardless of broadcaster.

Something brief I put together on Super Saturday - can't believe the tumbleweeds from official socials!

https://thewomensgame.com/news/aflw...-only-cloud-on-stunning-super-saturday-518193

Interesting write up there, but I feel there are some corrections needed about the Crows game in respect to the midfield.

Dayna Cox played the whole game from the backlines (halfback for her in her traditional position) and Jess Foley only went into the Ruck from CHB after Rhi Metcalfe and Hewett went down with injuries. Replacing Erin in the midfield in the first half was Hatchard (who did a ruck relief immediately after Metcalfe was being seen to by trainers as well). Ange Foley might be who you meant as she was prominent in the midfield for the whole game, along with former GWS player Renee Forth, and the earlier mentioned Hatchard. The second half saw Erin and Marinoff play, with Hatchard released to the forward line and Ange and Erin and Forth playing swap places between forward and midfield.

Tweeted today

(1) I agree that the AFL publicity for the AFLW, pre & post practice matches, has been very poor. The AFLW practice scores & updated injury information should have been on the website much sooner. It would, of course, have been for the AFL.

I tried to watch the GWS v. Brisbane game, but most of the images were long distance. It was virtually unwatchable, as it was like trying to watch "ants"- I gave up at the end of the 1st qtr. NOT good enough, AFL!

SEN Melb. Sport Radio 21.1
K. Bartlett/Dr Turf (Professional sport gambler John Rothfield) Program

For start of 2019 AFLW pre- season, Turf said "... the AFL must market & sell the AFLW better than it has. AFL has to get cracking...start promoting the thing. Practice match scores & injury lists should have been on the website (very soon after games- my words)".
They also said (paraphrasing) that, from speaking to general members of the public in previous years, the public has told them "the lack of scoring is the biggest problem for the AFLW". Bartlett said " In a few years, the players would be more skilled, & scoring will be better".

Bartlett also said "AFLW coaches must minimise zoning/flooding in the short term, so the AFLW is more free-flowing, & more goals are kicked".

Looking at the Freo game, I would say average kicking length is at least 5+ meters longer than season . Most players are in the 40 m range
(2) IMO, only c. 40- 50% of adult females (who are over 65 kgs), who have played AF a minimum of 5 years, can currently kick 40 mts+. For those female adults who have played less than 5 years (including AFLW new draftees), the vast majority can't kick 40 mtrs+.
These female kicking distance factors are not taken into account when people complain that not enough AFLW goals, on average, are kicked.

Cora Staunton kicked a 45mt+ drop punt goal on Sat. My understanding is that T. Harris & S. Frederick-Traub have also kicked 50 mtr goals. I don't know about any other AFLW players who can kick 50 mtrs+, but K.Brennan, R. Cranston, & E. Philips might go close.

(3) In the same SEN program above, Geelong AFLW coach P. Hood was interviewed.
When asked what he thought the opening AFLW match crowd at Kardinia Park might be, he said " There is talk at Geelong we're looking at 20,000. We would like to create an opening round record". The opening round record is, of course, the famous first AFLW match ever- the legendary lockout at Princes park, 24,000+, in 2017.

(4) It can be expected that Collingwood will promote very heavily its return to Victoria Park for its first AFLW match. I assume this will also be a lockout- capacity 14,000+.
The State Govt. announced in 2018 that it will spend $2,000,000 at Victoria Park to upgrade facilities in the Sherrins Stand. It will become a major female sporting facility.
(Fitzroy JFC, which has many female teams, already play some games there in winter; as do the adult female Fitzroy/ Aust. Catholic University AF teams- which will likely add a 3rd adult female team in 2019).

Last edited:
Cora Staunton kicked a 45mt+ drop punt goal on Sat. My understanding is that T. Harris & S. Frederick-Straub have also kicked 50 mtr goals. I don't know about any other AFLW players who can kick 50 mtrs+, but K.Brennan might go close.
Every team has multiple players I've seen kick it 50m. I could cut together a video of all the 45m+ goals at AFLW level and it would be very time consuming. However there will always be a bell curve, just like how male players kicking it 60m+ is rare.

Bumping up the average kicking distance would be nice (I personally didn't notice a change in the 3 practice games I saw on the weekend) but more achievable and important is kicking accuracy and teaching players to always attempt to kick within their capabilities--this is what the Bulldogs did last year and it resulted in really enjoyable football and a premiership.

Injury update from the praccy matches

Adelaide have lost their #1 ruck for the season after scans revealed that Rhiannon Metcalfe has done her ACL.

Their backup ruck Jasmyn Hewett also injured herself in the practice match, the club confirmed she hasn't broken/fractured her ankle but still need to do scans to see if there is any ligament damage. Will probably miss a round or two of football.

And this comes ontop of their leading goalkicker Ruth Wallace last year not playing this season for personal reasons, the crows will have to overcome these three big outs.

--

Bulldogs leading goalkicker Brooke Lachland has fractured her leg (fibula) and there isn't a timeline for her return yet but it would not be surprising if she misses half the season.

AFL has a new website for AFLW.

This can be viewed 2 ways.
1. They have succumbed to the pressure of the facebook trolls, posting endlessly about, `why do I have to read about this s**t`.
2. They have finally made a website where womans football is the main game, instead of being an afterthought to the mens game.

My inclination is to think 1, however, it looks like they have put a bit of effort into it, which is promising. I suspect its a bit of both, with the weighting changing depending on which person within AFL you are referencing.

https://womens.afl/discover/genw/this-is-genw

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every team has multiple [Define "multiple"] players I've seen kick it 50m. I could cut together a video of all the 45m+ goals at AFLW level and it would be very time consuming. However there will always be a bell curve, just like how male players kicking it 60m+ is rare [Correct- & logical conclusions to be drawn from this!].
(1) What are the names of AFLW players who have kicked a goal in the AFLW on, or outside, 50 mtrs? How many such goals for each?
And names of AFLW players who have kicked a goal in the AFLW from between 45-50 mtrs? How many such goals for each?
(I am referring, of course, to goals which only went through on the full; & non wind-assisted).

(2) Jatz14 above post #739

The new AFLW website is very promising- it appears to be an excellent addition for the AFLW, & the AFL deserves praise for it. Its impressive start portends well for its future content & impact on female AF.
As a dedicated AFLW portal, it is devoting much MORE attention & information on the AFLW. This spotlight can only lead to further awareness & growth for the AFLW & female GR AF.

By April 2019, do you think there will be any Australian sporting organisation created-website that focuses on its elite female sport better than the AFLW (ie during its season; with the possible exception of Super Netball)?
Ditto, by April 2020?

Last edited:
Interesting write up there, but I feel there are some corrections needed about the Crows game in respect to the midfield.

Dayna Cox played the whole game from the backlines (halfback for her in her traditional position) and Jess Foley only went into the Ruck from CHB after Rhi Metcalfe and Hewett went down with injuries. Replacing Erin in the midfield in the first half was Hatchard (who did a ruck relief immediately after Metcalfe was being seen to by trainers as well). Ange Foley might be who you meant as she was prominent in the midfield for the whole game, along with former GWS player Renee Forth, and the earlier mentioned Hatchard. The second half saw Erin and Marinoff play, with Hatchard released to the forward line and Ange and Erin and Forth playing swap places between forward and midfield.

You were right on the Foleys, my bad - have fixed that up. Unfortunately spent most of the weekend watching the Vic-based games and didn't have much time to analyse the NT match.

[Define "multiple"]
More than one? The number of different players who take kick-ins would be another starting point, generally all can cover 50 metres when they hit it right.

(1) What are the names of AFLW players who have kicked a goal in the AFLW on, or outside, 50 mtrs? How many such goals for each?
And names of AFLW players who have kicked a goal in the AFLW from between 45-50 mtrs? How many such goals for each?
(I am referring, of course, to goals which only went through on the full).
Remember my claim was about 45m+ goals, and I can support that because it just so happens I actually did cut a video several months ago and uploaded it to youtube, though it was blocked shortly thereafter. Here is a list of most of the goals featured, which I used as a reference at the time (but added the last column today):
AFLWLongGoals_zpso37onxbb.png

Whoever is supposedly the longest kicker, there are at least that^ many examples of players in the same ballpark.

EDIT: Also worth mentioning Chloe Scheer kicked one from about 45m on the weekend too.

Last edited:
More than one? The number of different players who take kick-ins would be another starting point, generally all can cover 50 metres when they hit it right.

Remember my claim was about 45m+ goals, and I can support that because it just so happens I actually did cut a video several months ago and uploaded it to youtube, though it was blocked shortly thereafter. Here is a list of most of the goals featured, which I used as a reference at the time (but added the last column today):
AFLWLongGoals_zpso37onxbb.png

Whoever is supposedly the longest kicker, there are at least that^ many examples of players in the same ballpark.

EDIT: Also worth mentioning Chloe Scheer kicked one from about 45m on the weekend too.

I'm amazed you bothered indulging that ridiculous request.

(I am referring, of course, to goals which only went through on the full; & non wind-assisted).

(2) Jatz14 above post #739

The new AFLW website is very promising- it appears to be an excellent addition for the AFLW, & the AFL deserves praise for it. Its impressive start portends well for its future content & impact on female AF.
As a dedicated AFLW portal, it is devoting much MORE attention & information on the AFLW. This spotlight can only lead to further awareness & growth for the AFLW & female GR AF.

By April 2019, do you think there will be any Australian sporting organisation created-website that focuses on its elite female sport better than the AFLW (ie during its season; with the possible exception of Super Netball)?
Ditto, by April 2020?
This is a difficult and not all together relevant question. I would have said the difference between male and female kickers, all else being equal, is in the 10m range. So a 50+ m kick would be rare.

Also, how many players are even faced with a 50m goal attempt. How likely is it that they would prefer a pass than a shot, even if they thought they had the distance.

Biggest kick I have seen was a torpedo by Katie Brennan in the state game, which I thought would have pushed 55, but it was on the far wing with no reference points.

Another question, given to goal from 47 means kicking it about 50, how many players attempt it from such a distance? You would think a player kicking from near 50 has a reason to think it's possible, or they have done it at training.

Summary, number of players unable to kick 30, few if any. Some in the 30 to 35 range. Quite a few in the 35 - 40 range, quite a few 40 - 45, some 45 - 50, few in the 50+ range, none in the 55+ range.

Roughly the male distribution, minus 10 m, but with men more biased to the high end.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

This is an excellent list.
There would, as you indicate, be other long kickers not on this list. Out of 29 games, I thought more than 1 might have provided wind assistance for the kickers.

With C. Scheer, there are an additional 24 players on this list; & the list supports my view it is rare for female players to kick 50 mtrs +.
We both agree "that male players kicking it 60 mt+ is rare". As women have, obviously, much less strength than males, IMO it would be even rarer for females to kick 50 mtrs+.

This is a difficult and not all together relevant question. [It is relevant because many people unfairly criticise the AFLW for not sufficient goals being kicked- but women can't kick as far as men!] I would have said the difference between male and female kickers, all else being equal, is in the 10m range.[I think it is more than 10 mtr, on average] So a 50+ m kick would be rare.[Agree]
Also, how many players are even faced with a 50m goal attempt. How likely is it that they would prefer a pass than a shot, even if they thought they had the distance. [BUT there is Often massive congestion in the AFLW- if women could kick 50 mtrs for goal, over the flood, then they would]
Summary, number of players unable to kick 30, few if any. Some in the 30 to 35 range.[Agree] Quite a few in the 35 - 40 range,[All men can kick 40 mtrs] quite a few 40 - 45, some 45 - 50, few in the 50+ range, none in the 55+ range.[Agree]
Roughly the male distribution, minus 10 m,[Disagree- more than 10 mt] but with men more biased to the high end.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Out of 29 games, I thought more than 1 might have provided wind assistance for the kickers.
Assistance is one thing, but the wind was doing just about the bulk of the work that night at Whitten Oval. Then again, who knows how many kicks didn't get the journey because the wind was blowing the wrong way!

Richelle Cranston offered a two match suspension after a high hit on Sarah Hosking during the weekend.

Has any player ever been suspended before their side has played an official game?

Didn't see the incident must it must have been pretty bad to warrant missing a quarter of the season

Has any player ever been suspended before their side has played an official game?
Can't think of one (Nathan Bock was always getting rubbed out for various things around that 2011 period, but he did play in the Suns' inaugural game). Might have broken her own record, given she was suspended for a front-on bump four minutes into Melbourne's first match!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back