Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

If Melbourne win by less than 26 next week, they will have missed finals every year only by percentage.

Last edited:

I think the AFLW has stuffed up this weekend. I think we are getting used to the AFLW not putting much thought or effort in.

Friday - International Women's Day - no games
Monday - public holiday in VIC (Labour Day) and SA (Cup Day) - no games

The AFL has Easter, ANZAC Day and the Queen's Birthday, the AFLW should have made better use of this weekend.

Last edited:
“Erin Phillips could play in the men’s”

Not sure the name of the female commentator who said it over weekend but that’s so far from real.

I know of one of her ex-teammates who played as a junior in the same team with Erin and he has said she was so far above the rest of the guys in their team, with the same amount of player development. He didn't think that comment is so far fetched if she was allowed to continue to play instead of having to stop at 13.

This a truly poor article from someone who manages to slip below the already atrociously low standards of modern journalism

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-11/afl-lacks-vision-for-the-aflw/10888840?section=sport

There is a barely an assertion that even remotely follows basic laws of logic

Having said that, I am a fan of Sam Lane's idea of starting the AFLW perhaps in the pre-finals bye weekend, which would allow for a solid 3 month season finishing perhaps in the last week of November or first week of December

The only reason I could see the AFL being reluctant to is they have designs of end of season AFL-X tournaments (i.e. like State of Origin) and you could imagine how that would go down if they shifted the AFLW and then did anything new up against it.

They AFL definitely isn't going to be reducing its season to 17 weeks however (and presumably moving the Grand Final to August under this suggestion!!!).

To move above Adelaide next week, Melbourne need to win by 26. Scores such as below would suffice:

46-20, 51-25, 56-30, 61-35, 66-40

I don't see Melbourne winning next week, but if they did, only beating the Dogs by 1 will cost them a finals spot. That's not to say the Bulldogs are not a good team, they are better than most in Conference B.
Thanks for showing what winning by 26 points looks like.......

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I know of one of her ex-teammates who played as a junior in the same team with Erin and he has said she was so far above the rest of the guys in their team, with the same amount of player development. He didn't think that comment is so far fetched if she was allowed to continue to play instead of having to stop at 13.

But you, of course, need to account for puberty

She could have got the same player development but would not have had the same hormonal/physiological development

Erin Phillips has always been a natural footballer who ended up playing basketball - John Cahill said she was the best 14 year old footballer he'd seen play, boy or girl -

But I wonder if the years of professionalism that Erin got from playing in the WNBA has given her an extra edge that might not exist had she just stayed in Australia and played local footy her whole life ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the #AFLW fixture saw every team play each other once (extend the season another 2 weeks), this would be the run home for each team.

Adelaide - 1st Overall (1st Conf. A) - 20pts vs. Melb, Bris and Coll

NMT Kangaroos - 2nd Overall (2nd Conf. A) - 20pts vs. Freo, Geel and Bris

Fremantle - 3rd Overall (3rd Conf. A) - 20pts vs. Roos, GWS and Carl

Melbourne - 4th Overall (4th Conf. A) - 16pts vs. Adel, Geel and Carl

Carlton - 5th Overall (1st Conf. B) - 12pts vs. Dogs, Freo and Melb

Geelong - 6th Overall (2nd Conf. B) - 12pts vs. GWS, Roos and Melb

Bulldogs - 7th Overall (5th Conf. B) - 8pts vs. Carl, GWS and Pies

Brisbane - 8th Overall (3rd Conf. B) - 8pts vs. Pies, Adel and Roos

GWS - 9th Overall (4th Conf. B) - 4pts vs. Geel, Freo and Dogs

Collingwood - 10th Overall (5th Conf. B) - 0pts vs. Bris, Adel and Dogs

By my theory, the Dogs would move up from 7th to 5th overall if #AFLW teams played each other once.
Removing the conference system would also mean a different look Top 4 & Finals:
Adel (1) v Melb (4) and Freo (2) v North (3)
It would almost mean no semis or GF in Victoria!

Last edited:
If Melbourne do defeat Adelaide by any margin, North will know what margin they require to finish on top.

Freo would also know but they have more percentage to make up.
Uh, North, Freo and Adelaide are on 20 points. Melbourne are on 16 points.

So if Melbourne win, North or Freo simply need to win their game to finish on top. The loser will miss the finals.

So if Melbourne win, North or Freo simply need to win their game to finish on top. The loser will miss the finals.
North can still make finals if they lose, and Melbourne win. Freo, who's percentage is worse than Melbournes, cannot.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

North can still make finals if they lose, and Melbourne win. Freo, who's percentage is worse than Melbournes, cannot.

No they can't. Adelaide has North's percentage covered by about 40%. So if North lose they will drop below Freo and remain below Adelaide (and many also get overtaken by Melbourne if they win).

No they can't. Adelaide has North's percentage covered by about 40%. So if North lose they will drop below Freo and remain below Adelaide (and many also get overtaken by Melbourne if they win).
Didnt realise they were so far behind Adelaide in percentage. Was thinking which of them could finish in front of Melbourne if they lost.

Didnt realise they were so far behind Adelaide in percentage. Was thinking which of them could finish in front of Melbourne if they lost.

What happens if Melbourne beat Adelaide..... and conveniently Freo and NM play to a draw?

NM. -22pts
FRE -22pts
ADL-20 pts
MLB- 20pts

That’s the only way I see both NM and Freo advancing!

not sure what I meant to say there, but yeah, winner of North and Freo just need to win to guarantee a finals spot.

If North lose, their percentage will drop. If Melbourne wins by 26, Adelaide and Melbourne will both have a percentage of about 155%.

North cannot make finals if they lose, neither can Fremantle.

Thought I'd take a look at how many home games each team have had. Observations:
- Adelaide and Fremantle have had 4 home games (and 3 away) each season
- Brisbane are the only team to have had just 3 home games (and 4 away) each season

AFLW-home.JPG

Thought I'd take a look at how many home games each team have had. Observations:
- Adelaide and Fremantle have had 4 home games (and 3 away) each season
- Brisbane are the only team to have had just 3 home games (and 4 away) each season

View attachment 634332
Really surprising about Brisbane. The rationale for Crows and Freo playing 4 at home is, for them, every away game is a road trip, which is expensive, and disruptive for semi pros. This also applies to Brisbane.

The travel argument should apply more to Brisbane than Adelaide, and yet Adelaide has had 12 home games and Brisbane only 9.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back