Game Day AFLW Rd 10 Carlton vs Melbourne Saturday March 12 7:10PM AEDT @ Casey Fields

Remove this Banner Ad

Harris and Staunton finish the home and away season on 18 after Harris failed to score and Staunton kicked 4. Ashleigh Woodland is on 17 and still has to play.

We are developing some serious run through our midfield. I hope they want to stay together. Offers will come for Guerin who was left out of our side for half the season.

Imagine if Guerin had been getting games this whole season, wouldn't have peaked in round 10, would have played this well much earlier instead of being omitted for whatever reason.

Sad time of the season with a few players leaving, but I won't mind if Dal Pos retires though.

Don't be fooled by three in a row. I'd be surprised if this is anything but a one sided affair. Given some of the talent we've had/got, clearly something isn't working and Harf has been in the crosshairs a few times.

I guess you're pretty surprised then ... and the second bolded bit was well and truly put to bed tonight.

Man, Maddy Guerin was absolutely mighty. Easily her best game for the club, she just monstered it all night. And the other Maddy wasn't bad either :)

What might have been in this game, and all season really, if we had just one key forward target? Not necessarily to take the grabs, but even just bring it to ground. Outmarked in the forward line repeatedly.

I think the team might have been a bit over-zealous tonight. They were all more fumbly than they've been the last few rounds. Yes, Melbourne's pressure was high, but that couldn't account for all of it. Even Mim was missing her usual one-touch class.

But still, what a great effort to finish off a disappointing season. I guess we can only wonder what might have been had we been given a draw that allowed this young side to build some confidence early in the season.

We are developing some serious run through our midfield. I hope they want to stay together. Offers will come for Guerin who was left out of our side for half the season.
I hope she stays. Really showed what she can bring tonight ... and those torps!!!

Like I said in another post. Hopefully our finishing position will have the 'stains and hawks looking at other teams first for their poaching (Maddy aside). We know Mim's not going anywhere and you'd like to think that Keeley will stay too, given she's only just arrived. MG's second half of the season should have her feeling pretty good about her place in the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone think there might be some retirements or departures based on the emotion after the match from a few?

There are definitely going to be departures. Mim alluded to them in the AFLW podcast (link is in the Mim thread in the game changers section)

Looked like Mua could be hanging up the boots.

Given the way she finished off the year, I would have thought it's far more likely that she's been poached. What makes you think she's hanging up the boots?

Mua seems like one to wear her heart on her sleeve, maybe she was just sad that this team won't play together again, and she's not going anywhere? Well ... one can hope!

I guess you're pretty surprised then ... and the second bolded bit was well and truly put to bed tonight.
I did say I was happy to be put in my place.
Hopefully it's the start of something good for the team and they can carry it into next season.

You do have to wonder how hard Melbourne were trying though. One of the standout top 3 teams for the year and we go scoreless in 2 quarters and still come within a point of a team that had a percentage of around 200% before this game.

Hopefully it's the start of something good for the team and they can carry it into next season.

You do have to wonder how hard Melbourne were trying though. One of the standout top 3 teams for the year and we go scoreless in 2 quarters and still come within a point of a team that had a percentage of around 200% before this game.

Real time Carlton brought pressure in a live game. Yep we failed by not winning. Forging a young unit though . No pressure on Half also .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Listen to the Dee girls after the game. They were going hard and paid credit to us. They were fighting to keep their top 2 spot after all.

The scoring was all done to one end. That's why we stayed with them. They couldn't score down the other end either.

Tried to bottle the game and almost got away with it, but what a waste of resources and energy. Harford should be ashamed of the culture, tactics and list balance he has helped create with respect to pushing for excellence in training, preparation and performance, as should anyone else in the football department who is responsible.

Overall we had a horrible draft and trade period, and I don't think there is a single winner for improving our 22 in the short or long term side from Sherar, and even she is a couple of years away and has an enormous amount of work to do on her kicking action. Dal Pos, Plane and O'Dea are spent, it's time for them.

I continue to be staggered by our collective football departments and what they get for what they give up. From the AFLW side of things, we've actually gone beyond peak Hughes/Rogers era horseshit.

Tried to bottle the game and almost got away with it, but what a waste of resources and energy. Harford should be ashamed of the culture, tactics and list balance he has helped create with respect to pushing for excellence in training, preparation and performance, as should anyone else in the football department who is responsible.

Overall we had a horrible draft and trade period, and I don't think there is a single winner for improving our 22 in the short or long term side from Sherar, and even she is a couple of years away and has an enormous amount of work to do on her kicking action. Dal Pos, Plane and O'Dea are spent, it's time for them.

I continue to be staggered by our collective football departments and what they get for what they give up. From the AFLW side of things, we've actually gone beyond peak Hughes/Rogers era horseshit.

Do you watch their training and preparation? What is the culture?

Bit harsh on our draft. What did you expect from 18 year olds? Give Lee and Vickers some time.

I've noticed some really targeted stuff towards Harford this year and I can't help but feel there is an agenda being played out. Someone is talking and others are buying into it.

I've noticed some really targeted stuff towards Harford this year and I can't help but feel there is an agenda being played out. Someone is talking and others are buying into it.
I agree. Jim's comment about culture and tactics is particularly laughable when you look at tonight's example. The girls managed to run a premiership contender to within a point on their home deck, and when they had everything to play for (finals form, ladder position etc). And they did it on the back of intense pressure and massive effort. Despite that, the Blues seemed to be finishing the game stronger, and but for an errant Darcy kick, would have won the game.

Harf was under no illusions about what this year was all about, given the player losses in the off-season and the injection of young, raw talent. That's why his narrative from the start of the season was all about what this team had the possibility of "building". And that's exactly what we saw. Progressive improvement across the board, and a team - and play style - that by the middle of the season was able to produce winning scores with a somewhat makeshift forward line.

I really don't know what these folks think Harf could have done better. Nor do I think any of them have the first clue as to who might be available - and able - to do better than him.

Do you watch their training and preparation? What is the culture?

Bit harsh on our draft. What did you expect from 18 year olds? Give Lee and Vickers some time.
I'm seeing the body shape and output of the players on the field. I'm seeing the tactics and the selections. I've been on about this for a while now.

Weak use of at least two of our draft picks, but I was very clear about our trade and free agency efforts, notably how we handled the Harris, Downie, and Dalton moves, as well as some of the pick swaps.

Youngsters take time, sure, but Lee was a weird pick considering our list and her position and output. I've never seen an AFL or AFLW list so stacked with the same style of player before.

Can't fault the effort, but they lacked composure. So many times they gave it back to Melbourne with blind kicks forward.

Could be inexperience I suppose, and the lack of big forwards to be an outlet.

I'm seeing the body shape and output of the players on the field. I'm seeing the tactics and the selections. I've been on about this for a while now.

Weak use of at least two of our draft picks, but I was very clear about our trade and free agency efforts, notably how we handled the Harris, Downie, and Dalton moves, as well as some of the pick swaps.

Youngsters take time, sure, but Lee was a weird pick considering our list and her position and output. I've never seen an AFL or AFLW list so stacked with the same style of player before.
Geez.....
You're trying to sound like you have a grasp on things but it is obvious you don't have a clue about the the team.

Body shape and output?? Have you been watching?

The girls rave about the culture any chance they get.

Trading Harris was needed from a culture point of view, all you need to do is read Harris own admission on that from last week.

We had no chance to keep Dalton.....zero and Dal pos was brought in for leadership with such a young team and whilst her on field output was less than we have hoped off field you have no idea.

Downie was nearing the end and from a longer term list management pov we went with Good who I think has really developed as the season went on and is in a much better age bracket.
All the best decisions given the circumstances.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back