After the Bye

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh man….how did you two get on the night we pipped them by a point? 😳

See in hindsight, with all the games we won without a designated ruckman, we probably could stomach a heart breaker like Monday. If it was a GF however….
I told her i was watching the replay and she told me id have to sleep on the couch if i did.

Couch was comfy. :thumbsu:

Five is a lot though. But five it will be if they all get up.
You’d look at the bottom 5 first.. We have a few that can play multiple roles. Reef, whe, hh, markov, of the talls prob Johnson which again is debatable. Can we play both Murphy and Howe? maybe if we drop Cameron and frampton rucks. lots of moving parts for sure

Our whole draw has been hard. I looked at our second half and it looks as tough as our first half.
We need to be good enough if we want to win a flag.
Beat whoever gets in our way.
Melbourne were deserving winners.
Though we lost, were not beaten.

You’d look at the bottom 5 first.. We have a few that can play multiple roles. Reef, whe, hh, markov, of the talls prob Johnson which again is debatable. Can we play both Murphy and Howe? maybe if we drop Cameron and frampton rucks. lots of moving parts for sure
The conventional wisdom seems to be that playing Howe & Murphy will make us unbalanced. But the question is does the unbalance it brings outweigh the positives of having those two good players in the team? Worth a look I say.

I could see us dropping Cameron and just going with one ruckman, with the talls pitch hitting. We got by with no recognised ruckman for awhile, so maybe we could go with the one and bolster our stocks in some other area? Who we're playing would also get taken into consideration. Horses for courses and all that.

I told her i was watching the replay and she told me id have to sleep on the couch if i did.

Couch was comfy. :thumbsu:
Staunch!
images

The conventional wisdom seems to be that playing Howe & Murphy will make us unbalanced. But the question is does the unbalance it brings outweigh the positives of having those two good players in the team? Worth a look I say.

I could see us dropping Cameron and just going with one ruckman, with the talls pitch hitting. We got by with no recognised ruckman for awhile, so maybe we could go with the one and bolster our stocks in some other area? Who we're playing would also get taken into consideration. Horses for courses and all that.
I actually think we've looked to be playing a bit less well recently since having both ruckmen back. Obviously doesn't prove causation but I'm not entirely sure we should line up that way again in finals this year.

We used Cox sporadically in last years finals (only 46% TOG in one, Kreuger tact-subbed on for him in another). Maybe something we re-adjust? Are any of our forwards good enough at the chop out?

I actually think we've looked to be playing a bit less well recently since having both ruckmen back. Obviously doesn't prove causation but I'm not entirely sure we should line up that way again in finals this year.

We used Cox sporadically in last years finals (only 46% TOG in one, Kreuger tact-subbed on for him in another). Maybe something we re-adjust? Are any of our forwards good enough at the chop out?
McStay or Johnson can do it against other back up ruckmen. Could be an issue when we play Melbourne or Brisbane though as their back up ruckmen are pretty good.

With Elliott, McStay, Sidebottom, DeGoey and Howe walk up starters once available, who are the five from Monday's game that would make way for them?
If we get that lucky with injuries that we get to choose the outs, my outs would be:

Johnson, McInness, Markov, Cameron (Frampton to ruck), Harrison.

If we get that lucky with injuries that we get to choose the outs, my outs would be:

Johnson, McInness, Markov, Cameron (Frampton to ruck), Harrison.
I suggested using Frampton as the back up ruck awhile back and some poster berated me for it, saying you can't use tall defenders as the back up ruckman. Have other teams ever had tall defenders pitch hitting as the back up ruckman?

I suggested using Frampton as the back up ruck awhile back and some poster berated me for it, saying you can't use tall defenders as the back up ruckman. Have other teams ever had tall defenders pitch hitting as the back up ruckman?
I meant Frampton playing first rick.

Teams don't seem to use defenders as second ruck. But with teams playing a forward as second ruck, I'm not sure why the defender on him can't follow him into the ruck. I think the theory is to have a settled cohesive backline, so you don't want blokes switching in and out all game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I meant Frampton playing first rick.

Teams don't seem to use defenders as second ruck. But with teams playing a forward as second ruck, I'm not sure why the defender on him can't follow him into the ruck. I think the theory is to have a settled cohesive backline, so you don't want blokes switching in and out all game.
Don't know why you can rotate forwards through the middle but not backs. Wouldn't it be just as important to have a cohesive forward line? But on the issue of Frampton he could basically just tag the opposition forward/back up ruckman and follow them wherever they go, like you said.

Edit: but if he followed the back up ruckman into the ruck and their ruckman went into the forward line...🤔

Last edited:
Sounds like he's sustained a lot of damage. Not sure if his arm will cope with the rigours of AFL footy again this year. Happy to be wrong though.

It’s a good sign that he wasn’t put on the LTI list to allow us to pick up someone in the mid season draft.

With Elliott, McStay, Sidebottom, DeGoey and Howe walk up starters once available, who are the five from Monday's game that would make way for them?

Elliott - Ginnivan
McStay - Reef
Howe - Markov

Sidebottom / DeGoey - replace players who over the next few months get injured, come under concussion protocols, suspended, find themselves down on form, or in the case of Harrison (as a new player) is coming along very well but may need to go back to 2nds to work on some aspect of his game.

As we’ve seen this year, the best 22 is rarely (if ever) all fully fit and firing at the same time.

We were thumped. If the kicked half straight, they'd have buried us. They kicked 18 behinds, and many of them were very gettable.
This notion of if they kicked straight is utter garbage the fact is they didn’t kick straight. There were times when they scored multiple points in a row within quick succession.
After a goal is kicked the ball is returned to the middle and the whole game changes.
I can just as easily say if Melbourne kicks any of the shots they missed we go on to win by ten goals.

Don't know why you can rotate forwards through the middle but not backs. Wouldn't it be just as important to have a cohesive forward line? But on the issue of Frampton he could basically just tag the opposition forward/back up ruckman and follow them wherever they go, like you said.

Edit: but if he followed the back up ruckman into the ruck and their ruckman went into the forward line...🤔

I’d assume defensive stability is more important than F50 stability, and the risk of an opposition KPF getting off the leash for even a short period each quarter is a risk coaches aren’t willing to wear.

I’d assume defensive stability is more important than F50 stability, and the risk of an opposition KPF getting off the leash for even a short period each quarter is a risk coaches aren’t willing to wear.
Fair enough

This notion of if they kicked straight is utter garbage the fact is they didn’t kick straight. There were times when they scored multiple points in a row within quick succession.
After a goal is kicked the ball is returned to the middle and the whole game changes.
I can just as easily say if Melbourne kicks any of the shots they missed we go on to win by ten goals.
"The whole game changes"
Exactly this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back