Strategy Aggressive reset

Remove this Banner Ad

Hasn't Saunders been based in Adelaide for a while? Makes sense that he'd want to move on.

Yep, which probably prompted the discussion, on the back of our review into the year including our over abundance of injuries.

Yep, which probably prompted the discussion, on the back of our review into the year including our over abundance of injuries.
Someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong, but for the first couple of years of his tenure we had the best injury list in the comp, but for the last couple pretty much had (if not the, then one of) the worst.

To me that points to something being off.

Someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong, but for the first couple of years of his tenure we had the best injury list in the comp, but for the last couple pretty much had (if not the, then one of) the worst.

We did, and the only change has been Saunders moving back to Adelaide and effectively working part time for us rather than overseeing everything first hand. It was time for a change.

We did, and the only change has been Saunders moving back to Adelaide and effectively working part time for us rather than overseeing everything first hand. It was time for a change.
I'm none the wiser, but how long had he been doing the commute?

I'm none the wiser, but how long had he been doing the commute?
Jacobs is the concern. As is Wright. How can they both miss 2 YEARS of footy?? Joke
Wells I maintain was his own doing.

Tarrant and Garner though are success stories so not sure where or how we rate this overall.

Well his sweet spot is soft tissue and apart from a spate (3 I think) of high hamstring injuries last year we've been good on that front. Wells' lisfranc wasn't anyone's fault and apart from that Saunders did a decent job keeping him on the park with his calf issues. Garner and Turner have come good, Luke doesn't show signs of recurring hammy problems. Higgins has been pretty durable for us. Waite had a good run for a bit but now has 34-year-old calves. Marley's back seems to have been pre-existing when he came over.

For the most part the rest are upper body collision injuries: shoulders, concussions, a frickin' finger.

The elephant in the room is the two foot/ankle injuries. And Jacobs already had ankle problems at Port. It's impossible for us to know exactly how they managed rehabbing those and what could have been done differently.

Oh and Wood's calf. Who knows wtf is up with that.

Well his sweet spot is soft tissue and apart from a spate (3 I think) of high hamstring injuries last year we've been good on that front. Wells' lisfranc wasn't anyone's fault and apart from that Saunders did a decent job keeping him on the park with his calf issues. Garner and Turner have come good, Luke doesn't show signs of recurring hammy problems. Higgins has been pretty durable for us. Waite had a good run for a bit but now has 34-year-old calves. Marley's back seems to have been pre-existing when he came over.

For the most part the rest are upper body collision injuries: shoulders, concussions, a frickin' finger.

The elephant in the room is the two foot/ankle injuries. And Jacobs already had ankle problems at Port. It's impossible for us to know exactly how they managed rehabbing those and what could have been done differently.

Oh and Wood's calf. Who knows wtf is up with that.
Yep, aware of all that.

Yep, aware of all that.
Just saying, the number of overall injuries where you could question the conditioning component is pretty small. And they're feet and ankles, which are a bugger. Plus there looks like at least as many successes and not really any way for us outer scrotes to know how effective the injury prevention is other than to say things like Higgins and Waite seemed more resilient and it's a wonder Wellsy got on the park at all.

Hey North Melbourne friends. Just thought I'd check where the rejuvenation of the list is headed. Is delisting Gibson and Mullet yet retaining Waite still part of the aggressive reset??
If you look at it from a purely age perspective then it seems counter-intuitive. However i don't think it is that simple.

In letting go Gibson and Mullett we provide opportunity for our younger mids and half backs. McDonald has moved up the field, as has Atley and we want to give opportunity to push Garner and Simpkin off the wings. We also have Mountford and Clarke who we want to play through the midfield after exposing them to there and half back throughout 2017. These guys are itching for the opportunity to show what they have got and are more physically capable of mid rotation than they were 12 months ago. Add to that Hibberd and Vickers-Willis off half back and the returning Macmillan, Williams and hopwfully Wright and the running back positions are well stocked with options who are ready to go so moving on Gibson and Mullett is mitigated.

We have also delisted Hansen as a key defender whilst signing two older guys in Waite and Thompson to one year deals. Both are KPP's. Our younger KPP's are Durdin, Nielson, McKay and Larkey. McKay and Larkey are pretty much first year players so aren't ready to play AFL for the full season, and Durdin and Nielson are still finding ther feet at AFL level after injury hampered their first few years at the club. Combined with the adage that big guys take time it makes sense to ensure that we have both coverage and experience in the KPP's to give these toung giys the guidance and space to move ahead with thier development. This will likely be their last contract with the younger guys given their head in 2019.

So in short its all well and good to cut all older players in the space of two seasons, however functionally you end up like Melbourne did a decade ago. Heaps of young players, no leadership, direction or cover if things go **** up injury wise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is retaining George Pell on Richmond’s board part of the clubs culture problems?
Nah they sacked him and bought in Harvey Weinstein, Bill Cosby and that weird Hey Dad bloke to stabilise the boardroom.

Off topic, Robert Hughes has not a good time at Goulburn. If he was smug when he went in, he won’t be if he makes it out.

He may well have his former ACA door stopping foe to cuddle up to shortly.

uES4O8XJg8qk5v5XTBShmNv71nhnFR0LeFI05hgCMJ8GgZJR5edWxUEIKs9NNixNQNnc5dVJqbgjthwPOBuT-VH42JEiECw-xSd-MoowWzKjcuBtygMJvNWwcw=w512-h287-nc

Hey North Melbourne friends. Just thought I'd check where the rejuvenation of the list is headed. Is delisting Gibson and Mullet yet retaining Waite still part of the aggressive reset??

One player hardly defies a list strategy.

The bloke who was 5th for rebounds in the AFL and another who came 6th in the B&F have been delsited.

If that's not aggressive, I would like to know what is.

One player hardly defies a list strategy.

The bloke who was 5th for rebounds in the AFL and another who came 6th in the B&F have been delsited.

If that's not aggressive, I would like to know what is.

It is aggressive in the sense that we may be playing chicken with the spoon again if we have the same injuries.

But one cannot deny that in years gone by, the same players cut for decent performance would have been given Super Gav/Greenwood/Black type contracts.

New era. It is more like search for a star than a solid role player or the bloke with potential who performs in his contract year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back