Albert Collier- A God Amongst Men

Remove this Banner Ad

Dad saw Leeter play regularly and always used to say his skill was often overshadowed by his toughness and fierce protection of his fellow Pies. That back six that played for that decade or so were known to be the toughest UNIT of their time, and I would guess most other times. In those days at Collingwood the club was a stepping stone out of 'the flat' as they used to call Collingwood.

Often I see criticism of Collingwood fans on these boards for overrating our players and I can see that point of view but I can remember the burning passion in dads eyes when he would take me to the footy - Collingwood supporters in his day mostly came from 'the flat' and nearby suburbs - all poor working men whose only entertainment was going to the footy after a backbreaking week in the boot factories who gathered together at Vic Park to watch their hero's take the fight to the toffs from Hawthorn and Melbourne and feel like they were landing a blow or two for the working class man, because in those days he was downtrodden and ill used.

This is no romantic tale penned by some social studies major but words straight for dad and his mates who worked in those factories and shared tales of Carringbush heroics every Saturday come rain hail or shine.

This is what barracking for my club is all about.
Well penned sir.

That photo in post 5 by Morgoth is fantastic. Looks as tough as all hell and he has the same build as Millane. Trying to locate a photo of Pants in almost the exact same pose from 89 or 90. If you put your hand over Albert Colliers head in that photo you might see what I mean. Fantastic post too, hopefully one day our side can get that aura back, admittedly we had it in 2010-11 to some extent. Can't wait for the next instalment :)

That photo in post 5 by Morgoth is fantastic. Looks as tough as all hell and he has the same build as Millane. Trying to locate a photo of Pants in almost the exact same pose from 89 or 90. If you put your hand over Albert Colliers head in that photo you might see what I mean. Fantastic post too, hopefully one day our side can get that aura back, admittedly we had it in 2010-11 to some extent. Can't wait for the next instalment :)

This one may do;

darrenmillane1.jpg

vs

leeter_collier.jpg

I got the same impression.

That "Little boy" said in a strong Italian accent.

Isn't that were Leeta came from? I have read a Century of the Best & seem to remember something like that. I'd love to look it up but it's in storage.

Great book though & a must read.:)

The comparison between Collier and Millane is fascinating. Two very hard men, not thugs, but not shirkers either. Created genuine fear in opposition players.

Wonder if any posters see a potential Millane in our current list? Been a while since we had one. I would put others in the category in the past, including Tuddy, Magro, Weiderman, Craig Kelly?

Besides the push for AFL to be played as a basketball / soccer hybrid (no touchies allowed) we still have a couple of hard nuts running around that would bring a smile to the Collier's / Millane's of this world. Marley is a "junkyard dog" type, never takes a backward step and is willing to take on and beat much larger opponents using anything he can. Grundy is a ripper...so aggressive and fearless for such a young ruck man, Toovey is fearless also and Ball personifies the same type of hardness and genuine courage that only perhaps Selwood from Geelong can match. The under the radar tough guy we possess is Beams though. Beamer makes the ball his sole target and is ruthless in its pursuit.
So yeah....we still have a few.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think and hope Grundy will be like those players mentioned a couple of posts above me. He has that attitude and hopefully can control it to some extent as we don't need him suspended constantly haha. Already we have all seen signs of it and he is always in amongst any scraps that develop looking after his teammates. Seeing him ragdoll a couple of players already warmed the cockles of the heart :)

I think and hope Grundy will be like those players mentioned a couple of posts above me. He has that attitude and hopefully can control it to some extent as we don't need him suspended constantly haha. Already we have all seen signs of it and he is always in amongst any scraps that develop looking after his teammates. Seeing him ragdoll a couple of players already warmed the cockles of the heart :)

On getting suspended, remember when A. Rocca still had attitude? It was a great thing to see. He got suspended a couple of times. The last was when he buried some hapless (bulldogs?) opponent in a tackle on the wing. It was poetry. Still can't believe he was done for it. He was gun shy after that and we never really saw that raw mongrel again. I hope this "pc" footy we have today doesn't hold Grundy back. I like seeing that streak of bastard in him.

L.Brown was probably our last player who threw their weight around and had some agro. It'd be good to see someone like Witts crash a few packs and put on some strong tackles.

Trav did make zac Dawson poo himself before the start of both grand finals....

Trav did make zac Dawson poo himself before the start of both grand finals....

Zac Dawson has been wearing a nappy since Pebs rag-dolled him.:D

Each week I thought I would look at one of the great Collingwood Champions of the past and share it. Great to keep in touch with the history of our great club. Today I will start with Albert 'Leeta' Collier

Albert Collier would be the greatest Centre Half Back ever. Jack Dyer who as we know was an avid Collingwood hater said that Collier was the toughest and most ruthless player to ever play the game. He also said that Collier was the most skilled player of his era. An era that included Reg Hickey, Gordon Coventry, Harry Collier, Syd Coventry, Hayden Bunton and Bob Pratt. The following is a quote from Jack Dyer.
'Albert Collier was one hell of a player and one hell of a man. The toughest footballer to walk the face of this earth. Albert was a GOD, a God amongst men, the most outstanding young player the game has ever seen. He won a brownlow as a teenager and mastered every facet of the game. A beautiful high mark, a thumping kick and a fine mover around the field. He was a thumping backman, a fierce competitor , a colossus as a team player and the first protector to stalk the field. I repected him more then any other player in history. Once he praised me, and that was the ultimate in my football career. I will cherish that for ever' Jack Dyer

Collier was a Brownlow medalist and played in an amazing 6 Premierships. He was part of the greatest team ever assembled that won four flags in a row and his teammates and coach the great Jock McHale all said he was the best player in that team. Simply the greatest Centre Half Back to have ever played the game.

My late fathers hero
Biggest winner ever
Never shirked a issue and stood up for all
Caused superannuation to be brought in for players a d even lay down in front of a bulldozer to save a tree
WE NEED TO PUSH THE AFL
THIS GUY IS A LEGEND

No one holding LEGEND status should be in before this bloke repeat NO ONE
Best player in the league in its glory years
I reserve , brownlow and 4 senior flags before 21 years of age
2 flags Tasmania after a In just suspension ( cheats)
2 flags returning
Forced clubs to have a provident fund
GREATEST RECORD IN FOOTBALL
HOW'S HE NOT IN?

No one holding LEGEND status should be in before this bloke repeat NO ONE
Best player in the league in its glory years
I reserve , brownlow and 4 senior flags before 21 years of age
2 flags Tasmania after a In just suspension ( cheats)
2 flags returning
Forced clubs to have a provident fund
GREATEST RECORD IN FOOTBALL
HOW'S HE NOT IN?
Fantastic player.

Genuine claims to be Centre Half Back of all time team.

Certainly has everything to be a Legend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back