News Alberton Oval Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the most interesting pieces of parkland are I've always thought 'only in Adelaide' could this land sit here with horses on it in this day and age is near Hackney Rd, always thought that was such an odd park of Nth Adelaide.
Agreed. So much more could be done with those parklands

My bold. Is this the Karen Rolton oval? If so you can be sure they'll muscle in on that eventually.
They have absolutely 0 chance of getting anywhere near Karen Rolten oval or the 3 ovals behind it. That’s SACA territory. The crows wish they had as much clout as the SACA but they don’t. Cricket built change rooms and function / bar space on KR oval and no one blinked an eyelid.

Stay at your swamp you *s.

You have Karen Rolton Oval, then to the west of them you have a big green lawn area that they turn into 3 cricket grounds Park 25 No. 1 No. 2 and No. 3 ovals, all relatively small and all going at once on the weekend in cricket season, to the west of them is the railway tracks and then to the west of them is this site which is bound by James Coghlan Drive, Port Rd and the railway tracks.

2020-05-04+-+Park+25.jpg
It'll never happen, but geez if you were ever going to let the Crows have a super pointless and small piece of the parklands, this is the perfect spot.

You mean bound by Robe Tce and Lefevre Tce. Hackney Rd starts where the Oban buses go in and out of the tunnel near Park 9. The horsey set seem to have a lot of control over the ACC.

Yeah sorry realised name was wrong for the rd after I posted, but figured most would know what I mean.

It could be well argued why is that land left for horses so close to a major city so important. Old Adelaide alive and well...

It'll never happen, but geez if you were ever going to let the Crows have a super pointless and small piece of the parklands, this is the perfect spot.

Reality is there are probably quite a few places that could be developed that would improve amenity, and you'd hardly notice it's happened.

If they snagged that i'd be buying that derelict pub too.

Yeah sorry realised name was wrong for the rd after I posted, but figured most would know what I mean.

It could be well argued why is that land left for horses so close to a major city so important. Old Adelaide alive and well...
Go for a run to the beach along the Mighty Torrens. Up until recently there were horses grazing there and all hell broke loose when the Environment Dept suggested they shouldn't be there any more.

All the other settlements were penal colonies - your horses would've been stolen.

Go for a run to the beach along the Mighty Torrens. Up until recently there were horses grazing there and all hell broke loose when the Environment Dept suggested they shouldn't be there any more.
There still are horses adjisted on the banks of the Torrens along Breakout Creek and some will be retained in the proposal for the final stage.

I got kicked by one of those horses when I was a kid. We were riding our bikes to the beach and I got ahead of everyone so I stopped to check out them out. I started patting one on the nose but then it moved away so I ducked under the wire fence to go after it.

Turns out horses don’t like it when you approach them from behind! Kicked me square in the knee and I went down like a sack of sh1t. Pretty lucky it wasn’t wearing shoes.

I do recall sitting at the Kentish one day and a horse and rider came up the st, I guess they have to do that somewhere…

Yeah well I was there in mid 1992 when this happened. Back when a couple of ex-coppers had the license and the birdcage was still relatively open air. That's a younger version of me behind the bar with a bloody ciggie lol. Let me tell you things got even weirder the next week.

411529_10151338463678356_1669348829_o.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, Well, Well:

Pelligra Group, which recently joined the Adelaide Crows in a failed bid to build a new base in Brompton, contributed $59,150 to Liberal coffers.

That was money well spent :laughing:

But seriously, that it is legal for property developers to hand over big donations to a political party at the same time as they are bidding for major government tenders stinks to high heaven.

Last edited:
Yeah well I was there in mid 1992 when this happened. Back when a couple of ex-coppers had the license and the birdcage was still relatively open air. That's a younger version of me behind the bar with a bloody ciggie lol. Let me tell you things got even weirder the next week.

411529_10151338463678356_1669348829_o.jpg
Lol the look on the face of the woman in a black dress :p

Well, Well, Well:

Pelligra Group, which recently joined the Adelaide Crows in a failed bid to build a new base in Brompton, contributed $59,150 to Liberal coffers.

That was money well spent :laughing:

But seriously, that it is legal for property developers to hand over big donations to a political party at the same time as they are bidding for major government tenders stinks to high heaven.

The Advertiser will report this as true *South Aussies contributing to the state, unlike those evil Vic developers

Lol the look on the face of the woman in a black dress :p

Nothing to do with the horse. How can I put this very delicately and fairly. She was quite used to being looked at, but not very used to being photographed.

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

Nothing to do with the horse. How can I put this very delicately and fairly. She was quite used to being looked at, but not very used to being photographed.

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes I can see why she was used to being looked at. And why you chose to stand next to her. ;)

There's a lot going on in that photo and you instantly get a fair idea of when it was taken. From the Johnny Herbert Lotus print and West End Eagle Blue poster on the the wood panelling behind the bar to the hair styles on both the men and women and faded stonewash jeans everyone (except you) was wearing.

Yes I can see why she was used to being looked at. And why you chose to stand next to her. ;)

There's a lot going on in that photo and you instantly get a fair idea of when it was taken. From the Johnny Herbert Lotus print and West End Eagle Blue poster on the the wood panelling behind the bar to the hair styles on both the men and women and faded stonewash jeans everyone (except you) was wearing.

The two blokes next to the horse look like they're taking selfies, but not if it's 1992 I suspect - maybe they've got sugar cubes for the visitor.

The two blokes next to the horse look like they're taking selfies, but not if it's 1992 I suspect - maybe they've got sugar cubes for the visitor.

Giving it shots of Drambuie more like.

June 1992 I think. Double Denim Man closest to the horse was one of the licensees at the time, had been running the Cathedral a few years earlier.

O yeah. I'll respect these new fangled libel laws and go no further ;)

A round trip more than 160 years in the making has returned a 400-tonne chunk of maritime history home to Port Adelaide.

Jarrah pylons salvaged from the Port River wharves – which inspired the club’s iconic guernsey - are now standing tall in The Precinct at Alberton.

The late 1800s timber, which features weathering and wave damage, lay untouched in a Port wool store for 25 years before collector Tim O’Callaghan tracked it to a farm in Dublin.

"It’s come full circle,’’ said Tim, who travels the country to procure the best old timber he can find.

"Something that was a fundamental part of our maritime history now returns as something functional; something that will always be remembered, and I hope will remain.’’

"The colours, the patina that’s created in the weathering process, you can’t create that. It’s why we love old stuff, isn’t it? It has meaning.’’

A chance phone call from friend and builder James Marshall, who has worked on The Precinct for the past year, paved the way for Tim to bring the pylons back to the Port from his home at Melrose in the state’s Mid North.

"James was hoping I still had some left,’’ Tim said. "Did I set out for this to be a story? No. But when the glove just fits… well, there’s some austerity there.’’

The pylons feature throughout The Precinct, set to open early June. [has gone from late February/early March to April to May and now June].

They mark the entry to the new museum and flank the honour board and giant trophy cabinet.

Timber cut from the pylons forms the treads on the venue’s vast staircase and the balustrade posts on the upstairs entertainment deck, which overlooks Alberton’s hallowed turf.

Collector Tim O’Callaghan pictured with one of the iconic wharf pylons repurposed in The Precinct at Alberton. Image: Michael Sullivan.
Tim_Woodwork_PortClubArticle_-7.jpg

The deck is finished, guess those who went to the Sturt game got a good look

Tim_Woodwork_PortClubArticle_-11.jpg

Stuck my head over one of the deck's panels a couple of Sundays ago, and saw the 13m collage, and some parts were finished, ie bar areas, but other areas still had fair bit of work to do to finish it off.

Most people flick through family photo albums, but Erin Phillips stood before a vast wall of childhood memories to turn back the clock.

After a homecoming like no other at the ground where she grew up, Phillips toured The Precinct at Alberton where some of Port Adelaide – and her family’s – most treasured moments are captured in a 13-metre-wide collage. Hours before, Phillips made history of her own by announcing she would join Port Adelaide as the club’s inaugural AFLW player.

Flanked by her five-year-old son Blake, the league’s most decorated champion walked the length of the wall finding family members and memories amongst the faces of all-time greats.

"It’s really special," she said pointing to an image of her father Greg Phillips leading Port Adelaide on a victory lap around the old Football Park after snaring the 1992 SANFL Premiership against Glenelg. "Obviously seeing the team photos is really cool. I was there that day in ’92. "There are so many good memories here. We used to walk to games as we didn’t live too far away from West Lakes."

The venue was designed around a giant staircase that takes visitors from the downstairs Port Store and interactive museum – designed to emulate a locker-room – to the upper-level bar, kitchen, and event spaces.

A glass keg room, wine closet, meat-smoker, central fire, giant television screens, and huge trophy cabinet are among other features.

*Bookings for The Precinct at Alberton are now being taken. For all private event enquiries please email functions@pafc.com.au
Think this means they have an opening date locked in.

220427-Mural-with-Erin-Phillips-5-.jpg

220427-Mural-with-Erin-Phillips-2-1-.jpg

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back