Alistair Clarkson - What number Draft Pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a fan of these blanket opinion statements without base. Pretty disrespectful to Buckley, not every playing group responds to every coach and they all have their strengths and weaknesses as individuals. Flags are won by coaching teams, not just head coaches. I mean they may well have, but maybe Clarkson's gameplan wouldn't work with the Pies?
1) then clarkson would come up with a new gameplan.

Thats kinda the point - hes not a one trick pony

The biggest thing about clarko that isnt discussed is his ability to find and develop late picks to their absolute max.

Examples.

Picking up Puopolo mature age from the Sanfl for pick 66 where he was a small defender, and turning him into a 200 game pressure forward.

Picking Blake Hardwick for Pick 44 as a small fwd and turning him into a gun small defender.

Sicily in the 50s as a fwd to an elite defender.

Blokes like Morrison, from picks in the 70s to Afl standard players.

You pick Clarko at pick 1 for his ability to turn late picks or average prospects into key cogs of a successful team.

Also his ability to target and acquire out of favour players from other teams and get the best out of them. See Hale, Gibson and Henderson and Guerra as best examples, but also Gunston, Mcevoy. Vickery is his only miss.

Hes pick 1 every time.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Clarkson also brings a lot of clout to any club he is associated to. No other coach has the ability to seemingly get gun players to sign for well unders than Clarkson.

It's amazing how we were paying our threepeat side the exact same as the Carlton spooners.

Getting JOM Mitchell and Wingard for well unders is another huge victory.

I think people underrated Alistair Clarkson's abilities, he is not a just a master coach, but also a great teacher for others. His former assistants including Luke Beveridge, Damien Hardwick and Adam Simpson had all become premiership coaches too. So he really should be rated one of the greatest coach ever and the greatest coach of modern era, above Leigh Mathew, Kevin Sheedy, Michael Milhouse, Paul Roos. So he really should be worth multiple number one picks.

The biggest thing about clarko that isnt discussed is his ability to find and develop late picks to their absolute max.

Examples.

To be fair, how many of those examples are down to Clarko vs the recruiting team and line coaches. I'm sure clarko has input on recruitment and helps develop all players, but there is a lot of other people involved in turning late picks into handy players.

Would still give up a couple of first round picks at least to get him if he wasn't at Hawthorn. Ultimately, he knows how to create a winner culture better than any other coach around.

I think one thing that people have missed in this hypothetical is that we're going with the assumption that s**t coaches are automatically s**t at every possible team they could coach. I mean sure, I doubt Neeld would be able to do much anywhere, but there might be something to be said about just getting a Fyfe/Dusty/whatever as your number 1, and then gambling on getting a, I dunno, a Fagan or a Worsfold or a Hinkley, whatever, with your next pick.

I would take a s**t list + a great coach over great list + s**t coach, I'm with you all on that.

But! If you could get great list + ok coach then you might be onto something.

I think people underrated Alistair Clarkson's abilities, he is not a just a master coach, but also a great teacher for others. His former assistants including Luke Beveridge, Damien Hardwick and Adam Simpson had all become premiership coaches too. So he really should be rated one of the greatest coach ever and the greatest coach of modern era, above Leigh Mathew, Kevin Sheedy, Michael Milhouse, Paul Roos. So he really should be worth multiple number one picks.
How you’ve got Roos in amongst that list I will never know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The needless hostility isn’t helping you. I read the entire conversation and gave a simple observation. Your attempt at clarifying was merely window dressing. Move on now.

The conversation moved on well before you got involved so instead of dishing out unwanted advice, perhaps take some of your own there champ...although these little pot shots explain your post count.

Perhaps you need to get a life or find a hobby.

The conversation moved on well before you got involved so instead of dishing out unwanted advice, perhaps take some of your own there champ...although these little pot shots explain your post count.

Perhaps you need to get a life or find a hobby.
You have issues mate.

Bad coaches can ruin great players. Great coaches can make average players give everything.

If Clarkson had coached Collingwood last year they would have won the flag. Had he coached GWS over the past three years they would have won one too.

Offer Clarkson to any club in exchange for their best player and not one person of sound mind doesn't take that trade in a second.

Bit harsh on GWS I feel they've been absolutely massacred by injuries and would have won one by now if some luck had gone their way

Don't disagree with the examples but where do you draw the line between head coach and list manager, head recruiter etc? Clarkson easily the best in the business at SWOT analysis IMO. My team vs Clarkson the record is 9-13. We could beat one of his sides easily and you just know that the next meeting you know that he's worked out all the things you got right and put plans in place. Other coaches even great ones are a lot more rigid and if you work out how to beat them you just keep beating them they same way until they change their game plan for everyone and not just you.

I would expect Clarkson to have a big say in recruiting players from other sides (I maintain Lake was the missing piece) but I would not have thought he would avidly follow the U/18s and make the call to pick Worpel, Sicily, Hardwick, whoever in the draft. Surely there are scouts and development guys that do that and the head coach would have an input RE: types of players needed. E.g. we drafted a couple of talls in 2017 (Allen and Brander). I would expect Adam Simpson to have a say in wanting talls but not 'yes to Brander, no to Balta, yes to Allen, no to McCartin' etc. That's Brady Rawlings' gig.

David Hale played nearly every game for 5 years in a team that made 4 GFs and a prelim after being 3rd choice ruck and 3rd choice key forward at North. That's a head coaching move.

Sicily by comparison was drafted as a forward and was doing OK for a guy that had played 20 games and is now a high possession half back. I'd say credit to Clarkson for identifying how best to use him but it's not like he was picked for the role he plays now. Semantics perhaps.

Anyway was going to say pick 1 but there was that time he missed 5 games with a back injury so future 4th round pick.

The Premise:

Gil and co. go crazy at the end of 2019, and decides to take the most drastic equalisation protocols possible.

Before the National Draft, all 700+ currently listed players are thrown into a pool, to be re-drafted snake-format style. Saint Kilda, the wooden spooner has pick 1, but also pick 36. GWS who win the Premiership have pick 18, but also get pick 19.

Additionally, all 18 coaches are also thrown into the pool, although each team can only select one coach.

Expectations:

The usual suspects like Dusty, Danger, Fyfe and Grundy are hot property, and all expected to be taken in the top 10. Likewise, the up and coming stars like Bont, Andrews, C.Curnow and Oliver are also tipped to be taken quite high, within the top 20.

The Clarkson Question:

What pick (or range of picks) would you take Alistair Clarkson at? Would he go in the first round (first 18 picks)? Would you rather someone like Josh Kelly and get an average coach in a later round, or do you take Clarkson early and miss out on one of the biggest stars in the game?

Dey already gorn crazy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back