Opinion Radio/TV Commentary, (Is Luke Hodge The Worst?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't love Luke Ball enough.
Greatest coaching move Ross Lyon ever made insulting Luke Ball.

Won a flag for his opposition.

I still find it odd St Kilda even considered having back a coach who firstly crippled the side but then shit on the club and then deserted them for money, and zero success?
They are a desperate club. I don’t particularly like them, mainly because of the John Greening incident my father told me about, but I admire their supporters. They are unbelievably loyal. They have as many wooden spoons as Collingwood has runner ups.

They are a desperate club. I don’t particularly like them, mainly because of the John Greening incident my father told me about, but I admire their supporters. They are unbelievably loyal. They have as many wooden spoons as Collingwood has runner ups.

I don’t believe in supernatural forces but if there ever was a prime example for karma, well St Kilda is it. One of the worst ever incidents on a football field and even worse reactions to it from the club and its supporters, and since then one of the worst ever performances from a team in any sport ever around the world with tragic outcome after tragic outcome. Fitting and poetic really.

One of my best mates is a lifelong St Kilda supporter.

His family are St Kilda royalty.
Hs great uncle one of St Kilda and Victoria's greatest players who still holds several records.

If the Pies are out of the calculations I always hope the Saints can win for him, but only because I love him as a mate.

They always let him down.

I hate them even more for that.

The rest of the Saints supporters cant go eat a stiff one... don't give a rats arse about them

Apart from that I hate the club.

Last edited:
Please do yourself a favour and buy the blu ray edition and watch it with the much much better SEN or 3AW commentary.

It’s not just Hodge that was bad that day. BT sounded sedated on drugs and Brayshaw on autopilot (the wowee generator). The C7 commentary really are a bunch of clowns.
7 or Fox need to get Whateley ASAP

I’ve been to a few club functions that BT has presented. A few years ago now.

I used to enjoy his work.

Think he’s become a bit too old and cranky now. In terms of commentary, he should probably move on.

Will never forget his contribution to the 1990 flag.

My entire family (4) and the bulk of my wife's family (11) are Collingwood supporters. (3 dirty Tigers supporters, the milkmans progeny I suspect)
Diehard supporters, not just the fairweather type.
1990 was a landmark in my life and I am just a supporter.
For the club it was 10 times that.
Many of the younger posters have no concept of what a 32 year drought, with the numerous GF defeats along the way piled on top is actually like.

Old and cranky is actually a thing.
I reckon I'm getting a bit of it.
It doesn't lessen the passion though.
If anything it heightens it.

Maybe he'd be better out of the commentary box, but I reckon his passion is "Roving Brian".

Sadly I think 7 (and fox to an extent) have got the wrong idea of what people want on television commentary - they can't decide whether they want comedy/entertainment or trying to be overly deep and analytical, and you get whiplash from the way they swing back and fourth. They also fall in the trap of trying to bring in "big names", especially in the ex-player departments, the likes of Hodge, Silk, Selwood etc were all fantastic players but aside from probably getting some basic media training, have to no real idea how to present or carry a commentary program for a game of footy, and to stick them in on live television and except them to produce high quality coverage is probably unfair to them (and the viewers) if anything.

For me I think most people just want a good caller for television commentary, especially during the play, hence the success of Bruce and Dennis. Someone that can call the play in an engaging manner, that does not get bogged down trying to jam mildly funny jokes/references repeatedly down our throats.

If viewers want large, outrageous, "comedic" commentary and footy insights there's avenues for that such as Triple M (though sadly no where near the quality of the olden days in terms of comedy and content) or light hearted programs like the Bounce, and for those that want deep analysis/opinions there's much better places for that via shows, podcast radio segments through the week etc.

Ch 7's commentary team reminds me of Ch 9's commentary team for the cricket, prior to Ch 7 taking the rights.

Ch 9 were the gold standard with Richie, Tony and Bill anchoring their coverage. All of them legends, who others were then asked to follow. The balance then swung to a more casual and 'entertainment'-focused production, where the lunatics were running the asylum without the supervision of more experienced heads like Richie, Tony, Bill etc.

Ch 7 had a golden period during the 90s with Bruce, and then a second period with Bruce and Dennis (who I wasn't a massive fan of, but he was professional) anchoring their coverage. It has become more 'entertainment'-focused and has been flooded with ex-players, some who may be hits, others who are clear busts.

Hodge is just another in a long line of unsuitables. He's just less able to hide his bias.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone should start a petition.

They won’t do anything unless we all threaten to boycott their big earner, news at 6.
So how many supporters in Australia do we actually have 500k?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hodge completely destroyed the final minute of the GF. The alternative broadcasts barely touched on the whole free kick and advantage paid incident.

Not sure if you remember his comments in the final min of the Carlton game where he says it was a poor decision by umpire not to pay free to Carlton for Pendles kick from
Centre square which went out of bounds.

Yet when Freo plays kicks ball out of mid air which went out of bounds, he says poor decision for giving free to Collingwood despite the ball being nowhere near any other player.

The sooner ch 7 get rid of hodge from their team, the slightly more bearable their commentary team will be

He grew up in Colac, be interesting to hear from anyone that played cricket with him, see if there’s any truth that he spat the dummy & gave the change rooms a trashing with bat 🏏 in hand after being dismissed in a game/final….. 🤣
Could definitely handle himself in scrap 👊 🥊 too….

Hodge completely destroyed the final minute of the GF. The alternative broadcasts barely touched on the whole free kick and advantage paid incident.

Not sure if you remember his comments in the final min of the Carlton game where he says it was a poor decision by umpire not to pay free to Carlton for Pendles kick from
Centre square which went out of bounds.

Yet when Freo plays kicks ball out of mid air which went out of bounds, he says poor decision for giving free to Collingwood despite the ball being nowhere near any other player.

The sooner ch 7 get rid of hodge from their team, the slightly more bearable their commentary team will be
Matthew Richardson complaining about the advantage call instead of appreciating Nick Daicos' beautiful pass still pisses me off everytime I hear it. Channel 7 butchered the grand final call.

I just want the option of muting the commenatators and only having the crowd audio. Channel 7s commentary is so bad that it makes games unwatchable.

I can see what's happening on the screen, I don't need Brian Taylor shouting stupid catchphrases at me to enjoy the match.

I don't think they are. They have a core base but they drop off very quickly. The proof of this is when they are flying they are capable of drawing big crowds unlike North who even when good have smallish crowds.

Watched the replay and had to suffer that drop kick BT.
Called Frampton Kreuger at least 3 times.
Said Kreuger just kicked his first ever AFL goal.
Then questioned it and then said oh, he’s kicked 4 goals.
Shots at goal were there or fantastic, despite clearly missing or hitting the post.
He is an embarrassment and continuing on from the GF last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back