List Mgmt. All Trades and Draft Part 2- Draft edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 8, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Don't really understand this? Rioli's punishment is ASADA's call, not the AFL's. And his movement to the rookie list would be due to the fact he could be banned for up to 4 years, not because of salary cap.

Eagles are waiting on the AFL decision to allow us to move Rioli to the rookie list or not next season .....would be on less wages I would imagine on the rookie list .

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
I'd rather take a speculative shot at a talented but underperforming hhf/small forward than pick a consistent but vanilla midfielder than has fallen to the 3rd round.

The former has upside and potential to add something to a solid team, the latter is unlikely to add anything but average depth and will end up rotting in the WAFL.

Rioli is the perfect example, pick 52 and was immediately useful and on his way to becoming an absolute gun.

What about a talented but underperforming mid?

Or a top performing mid unlucky with injury?

Or a mid showing potential and growth who only recently converted to AFL full time?

Or a well credentialled mid who just missed out pLaying TAC?

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Would be very underwhelming if we kept Smith on the list, but not completely unexpected with Masto's exit, although there must surely be much better options.
Elite runner who has shown he is afl ready to come in and play a role on the wing or defence if needed . On a rookie wage taking up a rookie spot.

Pretty good depth to me

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Eagles are waiting to n AFL decision to allow us to move Rioli to the rookie list or not next season .....would be on less wages I would imagine on the rookie list .

Willie signed a contract extension so unless there is a clause covering what has happened that we engage he will get the same. I could see him take a cut for being a silly boy and unable to play.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Elite runner who has shown he is afl ready to come in and play a role on the wing or defence if needed . On a rookie wage taking up a rookie spot.

Pretty good depth to me

Except he really didnt show much in the Beagles where he should have been dominating.

Do you keep a Smith or look for the next Tim Kelly? Thats the question.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Not to us but I imagine the actual recruiting team will have a preferred order that they think is from best to worst.

At that stage of the draft the difference in quality of whats left I would be surprised if there was an obvious outstanding choice though. You get smaller skilful types. Athletes who are still learning and developing. Some with attitude issues. Footballers who arent as athletic. Rucks who will take time. Good players who picked up an injury in their draft year.

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast

Pretty good depth to me
I see the reasoning behind keeping him on the rookie list but he's such a meh player. If it came to it I'd rather we played Cripps up on the wing than bring Smith into the team.

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
At that stage of the draft the difference in quality of whats left I would be surprised if there was an obvious outstanding choice though. You get smaller skilful types. Athletes who are still learning and developing. Some with attitude issues. Footballers who arent as athletic. Rucks who will take time. Good players who picked up an injury in their draft year.
They'd have to order them some way though, it's not like they're going to put up pictures of everyone left in the draft and throw darts at them.

mattyc75

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 5, 2010
over here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
,west perthgolden state warriors
Except he really didnt show much in the Beagles where he should have been dominating.

I agree but can see why he was brought in(mainly to help the young beagles team) and why he would be kept(to fill mastens role)
Having said that he has absolutely no role in defence in the seniors,we have plenty of guys queuing up for a game and with kelly coming in our midfield is stacked so i agree he should be delisted and either pick a speculative youngster or a star state league player who could actually add something if called upon

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Seadog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham
Don't really understand this? Rioli's punishment is ASADA's call, not the AFL's. And his movement to the rookie list would be due to the fact he could be banned for up to 4 years, not because of salary cap.
Not so, the AFL sets the penalties, if ASADA doesn't agree with the penalty they will take action as they did in the Essendon case.

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
So how many picks are we using again?

Masten - Kelly
Mutimer - Watson

2-6 outs and potential outs, you’d think we maybe retain 1 or 2 at most:

M. Allen
Brayshaw
Watson
McInnes
Brooksby
Smith

If we retain only 1 (on the rookie list) then we use 2 ND picks and 3 RD picks to stay at 39/5.

Then if Ah Chee goes we use 6 total picks.

Five picks seems to be the best guess.

it's not like they're going to put up pictures of everyone left in the draft and throw darts at them.

If you can come up with a more plausible explanation of how Burrows was drafted I’d like to hear it

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
They'd have to order them some way though, it's not like they're going to put up pictures of everyone left in the draft and throw darts at them.

Thats not what Im saying. I am suggesting that at that point in the draft there is likely 10 players all ranked very close together with not much seperating them at all. When thatis the case we should select on needs as they arent far apart.

What would be interesting is how the club ranks its own abilities to rectify any specific deficencies. Or how well and how do they they assess / rank injury. How do we assess risk and risk mitigation in drafting.

Take Taylor for example. I would expect that with the resources and leaders we have we may be more confident improving attitude than we are at teaching an athlete how to play football. We may discount injured players more than fit underdeveloped kids from a basketball background.

Last edited:
Willie signed a contract extension so unless there is a clause covering what has happened that we engage he will get the same. I could see him take a cut for being a silly boy and unable to play.

Rioli will be in breach of contract so the club will be within its legal rights to terminate his contract or reduce its value although they probably need to wait until the tribunal has determined his guilt/punishment before acting

Whether he’s put in the rookie list or not would have no bearing on how much he’s paid though as it’s purely as a list management tool

To put him on the rookie list would mean delisting him and then redrafting him in the rookie draft. It’d be risky for a couple of reasons:
- the effect being delisted would have on his mental health, although I’m sure the club would be at pains to point out to him that it’s solely for list management reasons and they’re still standing by him;
- with the new rules, delisting him would effectively make him a free agent for life, meaning any time he comes out of contract he can sign with whoever he wants.

Neither is a reason not to do it, but just a couple of consequences to keep in mind.

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
To put him on the rookie list would mean delisting him and then redrafting him in the rookie draft. It’d be risky for a couple of reasons:
- the effect being delisted would have on his mental health, although I’m sure the club would be at pains to point out to him that it’s solely for list management reasons and they’re still standing by him;
- with the new rules, delisting him would effectively make him a free agent for life, meaning any time he comes out of contract he can sign with whoever he wants.

Neither is a reason not to do it, but just a couple of consequences to keep in mind.
The key risk is 4 years, 1 year is a much lesser risk

Barlos Crathwaite

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast

this

Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast

Exactly, he didn't warrant a contract extension based on his WAFL performances. Brooksby for example did a lot more, but we simply don't need him. Shouldn't reward him simply because he has some AFL experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back