List Mgmt. All Trades and Draft Part 2- Draft edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a fan of Kysaiah. Wouldn't be upset if Dylan Williams slid to our pick either, was rated a top 5 at one stage.

Would rather take a punt on a late bloomer like a Rantall and add some project depth to the midfield group. Rantall certainly has the athletic attributes and defensive mindset but due to a late switch hasnt yet had the time to develop his football skillset as others have. Hence the draft position of 20 to 50.

We simply do not need another small forward even with Willie out for a year. We know Willie is good enough and we have Ryan, Petro and Cameron on top of Cripps. Kelly plays forward rotating with 'old man Shuey' and we have the small to medium forwards well and truely covered.

Shuey and Kelly rotating midfield and half forward sounds bloody good doesnt it! Gaff back to a w8ng where he plays his best footy.

Josh Deluca delisted by Carlton

I think players picked up in the mid season draft need better protection than to be moved interstate half through a season with no guarantees beyond the end of that year
If they are going on the main list catch should be a 2 year deal for them.

Makes them less expendable and will force clubs to put more thought into drafting them.

This.

Minimum 2 year contract. Clubs are just taking a free hit with these guys and leave them high and dry when it no longer suits them.

So what types do we need?

Not sure how many picks we will use, but maybe:
- 2 mids
- 1 mid/forward
- 1 HBF
- 1 small/medium forward
- 1 tall

Best available.

Our list is decent. While I would like a developing young mid our picks are already so speculative in the 3rd round you have no idea what you will end up with anyway (mids become defenders, forwards become mids, etc). So someone like Pickett could easily end up playing more mid like Rioli, Ryan and Cripps do.

Last edited:
Josh Deluca delisted by Carlton

I think players picked up in the mid season draft need better protection than to be moved interstate half through a season with no guarantees beyond the end of that year

Should be an 18 month contract.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Should be but won't - mid-season draft is all about clubs wanting a quick fix for injury without having to compromise the inadequate list management plans that didn't allow for the possibility of injury. Ignore the feel good story spin, the players will get chewed up and spat out when no longer needed because the AFL is a business and no one wants an investment ruined for a year by their ruckman doing an ACL in round 11. Covering for injury with your existing list, like the 2018 Grand Finalists both did, is haaard you guyzzzz.

Mid season draft not needed. Many teams make the GF/win one with serious injuries and do just fine. Maybe a pre season draft in March would work better in that you get a player in just before the season if you cop an injury in the pre season.

March would probably make more sense for the preseason draft than November but then you don't get a full preseason into that gun player you're hoping to pick up because you couldn't agree to a trade and figured you'd just get them in the PSD.

Smith could be on the list for next year. He’s currently in Cambodia with some of the young lads who went over in their club polos and shorts, I doubt he’d be there if we didn’t plan on keeping him on.

I assume they’re building houses again this year? Haven’t heard any thing from the club about it which is odd.... unless of coarse I’ve missed an announcement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd rather take a speculative shot at a talented but underperforming hhf/small forward than pick a consistent but vanilla midfielder than has fallen to the 3rd round.

The former has upside and potential to add something to a solid team, the latter is unlikely to add anything but average depth and will end up rotting in the WAFL.

Rioli is the perfect example, pick 52 and was immediately useful and on his way to becoming an absolute gun.

I'd rather take a speculative shot at a talented but underperforming hhf/small forward than pick a consistent but vanilla midfielder than has fallen to the 3rd round.

The former has upside and potential to add something to a solid team, the latter is unlikely to add anything but average depth and will end up rotting in the WAFL.

Rioli is the perfect example, pick 52 and was immediately useful and on his way to becoming an absolute gun.

Add to that quality small forwards can often push down the ground as well. Cripps, Rioli and Ryan were often the ones kicking into the f50 rather then being the one recieving.

Guys drafted after the 2nd round on our list
Mcgovern
Schofield
Barrass
Hutchins
Nelson
Mallen
Waterman
Rioli
Ahchee
Edwards

We have a very good strike rate with backs rioli is the only forward of note apart from waterman .

Guys drafted after the 2nd round on our list
Mcgovern
Schofield
Barrass
Hutchins
Nelson
Mallen
Waterman
Rioli
Ahchee
Edwards

We have a very good strike rate with backs rioli is the only forward of note apart from waterman .

Petruccelle was in the 3rd round and Cameron was just in the 2nd round.

My point was more get a talented player that has upside and develop them rather than a complete but underwhelming midfielder that will merely be depth. There aren't many Worpels out there. And backmen are always available late and it's not exactly an area of need.

Really we don't have any areas of need, but if you pick up a player like Stack, for example, they can be icing on the cake in a good team.

Best available.

Our list is decent. While I would like a developing young mid our picks are already so speculative in the 3rd round you have no idea what you will end up with anyway (mids become defenders, forwards become mids, etc). So someone like Pickett could easily end up playing more mid like Rioli, Ryan and Cripps do.

A player like Garcia with our last is a good risk to take and this draft is even through the mid 2nd through the third. A Philps or a Rantall or a Williams.

We simply need to add two more project mids to Ainsworth, Foley, O'Neil and Brayshaw. Venables and Petro are more outside.

Maybe this is the year we get lucky with a late bloomer.

Surely we could have kept Masto on the list instead of Smith. Just offer him half the money?

Eagles waiting on Rioli decision by the AFL , on moving Rioli to the rookie list for next season but until the Eagles know they are unsure about their delistings .....M Allen , Mutimer , Brayshaw , Brooksby and Smith ,
Ah Chee is set to be announced as the latest player to re-sign after being offered a one - year extension . Might be salary cap reasons moving Rioli to the Rookie list I assume on lower contract .

Eagles waiting on Rioli decision by the AFL , on moving Rioli to the rookie list for next season but until the Eagles know they are unsure about their delistings .....M Allen , Mutimer , Brayshaw , Brooksby and Smith ,
Ah Chee is set to be announced as the latest player to re-sign after being offered a one - year extension . Might be salary cap reasons moving Rioli to the Rookie list I assume on lower contract .
Don't really understand this? Rioli's punishment is ASADA's call, not the AFL's. And his movement to the rookie list would be due to the fact he could be banned for up to 4 years, not because of salary cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back