Mega Thread ALP Leadership Spill - 26 June 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

From the short part I saw of The Nation(skynews politcal show) in the quarter time break of the footy. They was discussing the scenario of Rudd if he loses the election of staying on as leader and tackling the internal reform issues of the party which he is passionate about. Could this of been one of the reasons why he jumped at the opportunity of taking the leadership again even with polls so dire. If he performs better than expected he could have some weight to apply pressure on loosing the unions power over the party.

From the short part I saw of The Nation(skynews politcal show) in the quarter time break of the footy. They was discussing the scenario of Rudd if he loses the election of staying on as leader and tackling the internal reform issues of the party which he is passionate about. Could this of been one of the reasons why he jumped at the opportunity of taking the leadership again even with polls so dire. If he performs better than expected he could have some weight to apply pressure on loosing the unions power over the party.

Possibly, but personally I think Rudd will be kicked out of the leadership five minutes after the polls close.

Dollar dropping adds to cast and inflation as well Oil price goes up in AUD , machinery goes up in AUD, fertiliser goes up in AUD.

If theAUD drops past the sweet spot , We will be WORSE off, and have huge inflation as a by product.
It isn't as bad as people make it out. A dollar around 80 cents is about right for Australia.

Except for me, as I will be in Europe in a week and an currently in Indo. :(

That's the effect of the party handing itself to Rudd.

That's the effect of the party handing itself to Rudd.

They might get a bump in the polls in the short en term but i still believe that when the novelty wears off it will be a significant win for Abbott, in a way i hope i'm wrong but whatever i cannot bring myself to vote Labor with Rudd back at the helm.

I wonder if this episode could now bring the power of the factions back into play or will it still be the same old status quo.

They might get a bump in the polls in the short en term but i still believe that when the novelty wears off it will be a significant win for Abbott, in a way i hope i'm wrong but whatever i cannot bring myself to vote Labor with Rudd back at the helm.

I wonder if this episode could now bring the power of the factions back into play or will it still be the same old status quo.

Reachtel poll has 52-48 coalition tpp, Rudd PPM 52-48.

Think the Lib will be pretty happy with that, especially Abbott getting 48 on PPM against the star.

Actually Nods, the full magnitude of this is only just stating to sink in for me ... 7 Cabinet ministers resigning ! Am making inquiries to see what past precedents are.

Bowen is just another NSW right grub. But at least his voice has stopped squeaking since he was let out of Immigration detention.

On Combet and Swan - the situation is that Labor will be going into an election campaign in about 8 weeks without the architects of NBN (Conroy), the 2013/14 budget (Swan) the carbon pricing legislation (Combet) and the Gonski funding reforms (Garrett). Their replacements will be rookies in the portfolios and who can Rudd promote from the existing cabinet members who haven't walked.

Whatever you might think of the exited ministers, all of them were far better placed to pitch future policies for their areas than their replacements will be at such short notice. And these are all the key Labor policy areas.

No doubt Rudd believes he can make up for the shortcomings.:D

More information is coming out on which camps and when switched over to backing Rudd.

For weeks, Shorten was the prize the Rudd backers had coveted.

The symbolism of splintering Gillard's Victorian power base and forcing one of the central players in the 2010 spill to kneel before them would be key to making the third and final operation to install Rudd a success.
Shorten's numbers were secondary. In the event, the powerbroker only brought a single extra vote with him - that of Queensland MP Shayne Neumann. It did not drastically alter the 57-45 result on Wednesday.

Factional colleagues from Victoria, such as Attorney-General Mark Dreyfus and Michael Danby, stuck with Gillard.

He spoke to community leaders, union bosses and his long-time mentor, former ACTU boss Bill Kelty, to gauge their support for a return to Rudd and whether Shorten's well-known leadership ambitions could survive performing one of the most extreme U-turns in Australian political history.

The contents of those conversations is not known but Shorten's eventual decision is.

Australian Workers Union bosses Bill Ludwig and Paul Howes are furious with Shorten, who has conceded that his actions have lost him friends.

Labor insiders said on Thursday that Shorten's actions in the lead-up were more important to the result than his dramatic actions on Wednesday evening.

''Language is important and Bill had spent a fortnight asking other MPs what they thought needed to be done and saying things like 'it's reasonable for people to take different positions','' a Labor source said.

''The message was clear that the defences that had been built up around Gillard in the past had been lowered and there would be no repercussions for moving to Rudd.''

NSW Labor general secretary Sam Dastyari, who helped co-ordinate the Rudd forces, said Shorten came across ''very late in the piece''. ''Bill has spoken to a lot of people over the past fortnight but he didn't reach a final decision until late,'' he said.

Equally as important as Shorten's support was the near abandonment of Gillard by NSW MPs.

Previously, Home Affairs Minister Jason Clare, Assistant Treasurer David Bradbury and Foreign Affairs Minister Bob Carr had protested their loyalty to Gillard. On Wednesday they voted for Rudd.
While Bradbury - who faced near certain defeat in his marginal seat of Lindsay under Gillard - was a late defector, Clare had been prepared to switch for some time, perhaps since March.
A source said Clare brought across at least two other ''nervous Nellies''. Echoing the comments of other defectors, Clare said he voted for Rudd because "it gives the Labor Party the best opportunity to be competitive at the next election".
The Right faction, of which Carr is a veteran member, agreed that Labor would be almost wrecked if it went to the election under Gillard.
The Right - whose members include Chris Bowen, Joel Fitzgibbon, Bradbury, Ed Husic, Michelle Rowland and John Murphy, and is led from Sussex Street by Dastyari - remains a formidable force, despite its reputation for ruthlessness.
Only three members of the Right voted with Gillard: Environment Minister Tony Burke, parliamentary secretary Sharon Bird, and government whip Chris Hayes.
The operation was co-ordinated from the Parliament House office of new Treasurer Bowen. Anthony Albanese, Fitzgibbon, Victorian Alan Griffin and Bowen hit the phones once a spill petition was circulated for signatures.
Gillard tried desperately to shore up her numbers, personally phoning Rowland, who holds NSW's most marginal seat, Greenway.
Rowland told her leader that "on this occasion I would not be voting for her". "It certainly wasn't an easy decision to make," she said.
Stories that a petition never existed and was a ploy to flush out the Gillard camp to bring on a vote, are false. Fairfax has spoken to Labor MPs who signed on for a spill.
By 1pm on Wednesday, the Rudd camp was confident it had the numbers - perhaps 50 and rising.

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/polit...maker-turned-on-his-queen-20130627-2p06h.html

Guru getting rid of swan, Conroy and the musician was a good thing. Combet probably not. The libs have a problem now a campaign attack around no carbon tax in a govt I lead and SURPLUS is gone Conroy was just terrible and Garret really floundered with the education funding.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The more I think about it, the more this situation suits Rudd perfectly.

He runs around promising the world on an enormous range of issues. Voters hardly pay attention but think the bulk of it sounds good. He won't be around for long enough to get on people's nerves with his extraordinarily annoying communication style (programmatic specificity etc).

The catch is that he is an incompetent people manager and incapable of making good on any of his 'bright' ideas. BUT, that doesn't matter because he probably won't win.

The more I think about it, the more this situation suits Rudd perfectly.

He runs around promising the world on an enormous range of issues. Voters hardly pay attention but think the bulk of it sounds good. He won't be around for long enough to get on people's nerves with his extraordinarily annoying communication style (programmatic specificity etc).

The catch is that he is an incompetent people manager and incapable of making good on any of his 'bright' ideas. BUT, that doesn't matter because he probably won't win.
Gillard did that when she took over from Rudd. In the first few weeks she went all guns blazing promised the world about talking with business on the MRRT, about the boats issue (East Timor, etc) which got her over the line before the public realised the issues with her promises.

Rudd is trying the same trailblazing here, however is coming from further back than Gillard had to. As time wears on until the election (whenever that may be), his popularity will wane once people realise he hasn't in fact changed from before. So the longer he holds on the worse it will be for him.

Gillard did that when she took over from Rudd. In the first few weeks she went all guns blazing promised the world about talking with business on the MRRT, about the boats issue (East Timor, etc) which got her over the line before the public realised the issues with her promises.

Rudd is trying the same trailblazing here, however is coming from further back than Gillard had to. As time wears on until the election (whenever that may be), his popularity will wane once people realise he hasn't in fact changed from before. So the longer he holds on the worse it will be for him.

Which means you would think he'll be rushing to the polls... mid to late August.

I can't remember the last time so many government ministers departed the front bench on a non-election night. Maybe 2 or 3 ministers will leave the cabinet over a period of time, but not 7 ministers. Kevin Rudd could ill-afford to lose a lot of talent, with some crucial decisions heading the government's way. And how will Chris Bowen handle the next budget?

What is combet up to ? is he trying to avoid the rudd /shorten fiasco so that he can emerge as a clean skin after the election ,or did rudd simply not give him enuff for him to go public

I suspect Combet knows that his best shot is to stay clear of the entire mess. He is one of the few senior ALP figures who hopes to remain in politics after this election who will come out of this looking dignified.

You are probably right in terms of Rudd not offering him much though. Combet probably wouldn't have been able to swing any votes his way even if he wanted to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back