Portfolio Alternate History (by ThunderPower_14)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: ThunderPower14's Alternate History Thread

Yeah not bad.

I like the hoops with the different widths, kinda reminiscent of the Aussie ODI shirts from the mid-late 90's! The red trim works pretty well too.

I'm not a fan of the monogram though. It just seems a bit messy with all the lines around it.

I'm not a fan of the monogram though. It just seems a bit messy with all the lines around it.

Took me a minute or two before I came round to the idea of the jumper. I'd suggest removing the monogram and making it a crest, over the left breast. Would de-clutter the design just slightly and really accentuate the hoops.

The year was 1995 and everyone was eagerly awaiting the announcement on the branding of the new Fremantle side, which along with Norwood-Sturt would enter the AFL in 1997.

However, a bigger story was brewing. Hawthorn, the most successful club of the previous 15 years had fallen on hard times, as had the oldest football club in the land, Melbourne. The two clubs had put a merger vote to their supporters, and the vote was for the merger to go ahead.

The initial merger proposal was a 'Melbourne Hawks' branding, with yellow, navy and brown being the club's colours, but with the North and South merger meaning there was another side named Melbourne in the competition, the AFL requested that the team be named Hawthorn. As such, the Hawthorn Demons were born:

hawthorn.png

Back then, the Hawks had an all-gold back with brown numbers. That'd translate to an all-red back with blue numbers, or rather, white numbers because blue-on-red is awful contrast. What would be the rationale for the new Hawthorn team going back to the 1970s white panel?

(Just curious, not critical.)

I did think about that. I tried blue on red and it was horrible, then figured a return to the 70s number panel fitted quite well as it solved my contrast issue. I basically based it off the current guernsey, and I suppose the guernsey above is what they would be wearing in 2011, not straight after the merger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back